Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Wikiposts

Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

lagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nice
Default Re: Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Thanks again for the info,

So whats the process with getting married and getting the visa? Get married then start the application? and is it true i've got to go all the way to London for the interview? Do we have to go together? cause on my own would be difficult becuase of my disability.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Yes you have to go to London for the interview. Just go on the train, only 90 minutes from the Midlands. It's really not that far. It was over 3 hours each way by train for me, and spare a thought for those who have to go there from Scotland!

Your USC spouse doesn't have to attend, but can do if she wishes. You need to specify this on the DS-230 part I form as only the people you specify there will be on the security list for entry into the embassy on that day.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
My fiancee and I were going to get married inthe UK but decided that the K1 was a better option for us. We were going to apply for the marriage tourist or visit to marry visa. A UK fiancee visa would be if I was planning on getting married in the UK and moving there instead of him coming here. I was going to stay in the UK two weeks and then come back to the states and my fiancee was going to stay in the UK until the paperwork came through for him to move to the US . I was planning on bringing a letter of employment, my lease and bank statements showing I could support myself as well as a return ticket. The K1 seemed like it would be a quicker process so that's why we chose that route. It was just over 5 months from when we sent in the I129 petition until the visa approval for us. From what I have researched it would hve taken longer if we got married there for his paperwork to be approved for himto move to the states
It might have taken longer. A K1 could have taken longer as well. Generally, there isn't much difference - a few months perhaps.

But there are many advantages to coming over as a green card holder (permanent resident) instead of a K1. If people can stand being apart after being married, it's sure what I would recommend.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lagerbreath
Thanks again for the info,

So whats the process with getting married and getting the visa? Get married then start the application? and is it true i've got to go all the way to London for the interview? Do we have to go together? cause on my own would be difficult becuase of my disability.
Yes, you get married and start the application for permanent residency. Also, the doctor you must see (Knightsbridge Doctors) is in London - so you either have to go to London twce (once for the physical, once for the visa interview) or you have to stay in London between the two appointments (it takes at least a few days for them to get the medical results to the Embassy).

Another note - at the interview, if you are approved, they keep your passport and courier it back. So you need some other form of ID if you intend to fly home (and need to make sure the airline you are on will accept it). My Keith got a UK citizen card, that worked at that time.

The other thing to consider, is if you intend to visit her in the US while waiting for the application to be approved, they might be reluctant to let you in on visa waiver, fearing you would intend to stay. I presume she could visit you in the UK.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Yes you have to go to London for the interview. Just go on the train, only 90 minutes from the Midlands. It's really not that far. It was over 3 hours each way by train for me, and spare a thought for those who have to go there from Scotland!

Your USC spouse doesn't have to attend, but can do if she wishes. You need to specify this on the DS-230 part I form as only the people you specify there will be on the security list for entry into the embassy on that day.
Yes, but traveling and navigating a big city is a lot easier for a person who can see.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I hate to be picky, but you're making my brain hurt... "fiancee" is not spelled "fioncee".
True, but if he's using adaptive software to help compensate for his visual difficulties, then let's remember than it is, indeed, pronounced: fioncee.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
There is a British Embassy in New York City.
The British Embassy is in DC... and while there is a British Consulate in NYC, there is no Embassy there.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tracym
But there are many advantages to coming over as a green card holder (permanent resident) instead of a K1.
Just me being pedantic again... one does *not* come over as a green card holder.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just me being pedantic again... one does *not* come over as a green card holder.

Ian
Ugh, you're right - I should know better.

You do arrive as a permanent resident right? And get the actual card when?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tracym
You do arrive as a permanent resident right?
No, you arrive as an immigrant. Once the paperwork is processed by the officer at the PoE, then you become a PR, but not one moment before.

And get the actual card when?
You'll get an I-551 stamp at the PoE - which has the full force of the actual physical card... which will arrive a few weeks or so later in the mail!

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, you arrive as an immigrant. Once the paperwork is processed by the officer at the PoE, then you become a PR, but not one moment before.

You'll get an I-551 stamp at the PoE - which has the full force of the actual physical card... which will arrive a few weeks or so later in the mail!

Ian
Thanks, I remember now (basically lol).

For practical purposes however, the person is a permanent resident from their first day in the US, which is what I meant (and said very very badly ).
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:19 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
Good morning, pedant.
It's not an I-551 stamp they get any more, it's an endorsement of the MRIV.

PS: I know of one gal who is wheelchair-dependent and needs an aide; she took adaptive transport from the north or England for her visa interview. She's also now happily married and living in California.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

lagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
PS: I know of one gal who is wheelchair-dependent and needs an aide; she took adaptive transport from the north or England for her visa interview. She's also now happily married and living in California.
Any idea if she worked? I'm still a bit concerned about this Public Charge, we are gonna get legal advice but it's just for piece of mind ight now.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lagerbreath
Any idea if she worked? I'm still a bit concerned about this Public Charge, we are gonna get legal advice but it's just for piece of mind ight now.
She not only does not work, her USC husband does not work and is himself in a chair (both motorized). He is totally reliant on benefits here in the US and his carer is paid from State funds. His carer is his mother (although the couple live in their own home quasi independent) and she was able to use these funds to be the Joint Sponsor!

I only bring up their seemingly complicated situation because at the time I read the beginning of their story I thought "heartbreak ahead", but it was amazingly straight forward, and other than their additional expenses for transport and the need to get an adaptive entrance to the Embassy building, it was like any other K-1 case I've ever read about.

I thought the Public Charge thing would be a deal killer, but it was not. Neither was insurance (don't remember the details, but she got onto his State-based plan somehow). They both have significant medical needs.

Courage.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

wow, that is pretty shocking but thanks for the info, its kinda put my mind at ease.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.