Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Wikiposts

Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Originally Posted by lagerbreath
Thanks alot Tracy, I just hope all this works out, bit concerned about the public charge thing but maybe there's no need to, my fioncee said we could try and get an appointment at the US Embassy in NYC while i'm there next month.
Personally, I don't think the embassy is the place to ask, but maybe others will differ with me.

Hopefully, a few more of the experienced folks on the forum will come along and comment as well.

If you remain concerned, I personally would have a consultation with an immigration attorney when you're over - generally isn't too much just for a consult.

www.ailalawyer.com has a list of them

Maybe I'm off base to worry at all, hopefully you'll get some more comments from others on the forum.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married to my american fioncee in the next couple of years..

Thanks alot Tracy, I just hope all this works out, bit concerned about the public charge thing but maybe there's no need to, my fioncee said we could try and get an appointment at the US Embassy in NYC while i'm there next month.
As far as I am aware there is no US Embassy in NYC...why would there be?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 7th 2008 at 7:19 am.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:21 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As far as I am aware there is no US Embassy in NYC...why would there be?
Of course ..duh!!! slow today ....
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course ..duh!!! slow today ....
You're old...allowances are made....lol.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

lagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nice

Yeah good point about the embassy, maybe she meant the British when we were talking about the marriage options lol sorry,

Someone who my fioncee works with mentioned that her dad could sponsor me cause he can prove he earns $100k+ per year, she won't finish her apprentaship for a couple of years so she won't earn that much just yet. Is this possible?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're old...allowances are made....lol.
What excuse do I get to use?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah good point about the embassy, maybe she meant the British when we were talking about the marriage options lol sorry,

Someone who my fioncee works with mentioned that her dad could sponsor me cause he can prove he earns $100k+ per year, she won't finish her apprentaship for a couple of years so she won't earn that much just yet. Is this possible?
So she is not making that much yet.

ok, well she only needs to make 125% of the poverty level for two to be a sponsor - approx $17,500 if I remember correctly. I will go look for the exact figures and post them in a minute.

But yes, you can use an additional sponsor. She would still be your sponsor, regardless of how much she makes. Her father would be the co-sponsor.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here are the guidelines - actually $17,500 is the exact figure (shocked myself lol).

http://aspe.hhs.gov/POVERTY/08poverty.shtml
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered that the eye condition I have (Retinitis pigmentosa) could be cured in the near future thanks to gene therapy. So after that I would be able to work.
You need to know that being visually impaired *is* a protected status in the US under the ADA. You can not be refused work solely because of your impairment... so as long as you want to work, you can work (well, as long as you have employment authorization).

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

lagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nicelagerbreath is just really nice

Thanks, she'll be earning something like $25 an hour before she qualifies and yeah her dads already on the full amount cause he does the same job but oviously he's fully qualified lol.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You need to know that being visually impaired *is* a protected status in the US under the ADA. You can not be refused work solely because of your impairment... so as long as you want to work, you can work (well, as long as you have employment authorization).

Ian
You can work with a visual imparement here but I couldn't find things I was able to do, wouldn't that be an issue with my visa?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You can work with a visual imparement here but I couldn't find things I was able to do, wouldn't that be an issue with my visa?
Aww cute picture

Nothing says you HAVE to work, if your wife makes enough and you two are happy with that, that's perfectly fine. Seriously it will probably be fine with the visa, but in your situation I personally would have a one-time talk with an immigration attorney to be aware of any issues and how best to handle them.

$25 an hour is more than sufficient as a sponsor btw. But, for example, and attorny *might* suggest having her dad as a co-sponsor, just to strengthen your position.

If you weren't aware, Ian was referring to the Americans with Disabilities Act in his post. An employer is REQUIRED to hire you and make accomodations for your visual impairment, if you are otherwise qualified for the job. But again, if you don't plan on working, that is between you and your wife, none of us should judge.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to be picky, but you're making my brain hurt... "fiancee" is not spelled "fioncee".
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:55 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Well one of the rules of the visit to marry visa is 'You can be supported without working or having recourse to public funds during your visit' so that is probably out of the question too
My fiancee and I were going to get married inthe UK but decided that the K1 was a better option for us. We were going to apply for the marriage tourist or visit to marry visa. A UK fiancee visa would be if I was planning on getting married in the UK and moving there instead of him coming here. I was going to stay in the UK two weeks and then come back to the states and my fiancee was going to stay in the UK until the paperwork came through for him to move to the US . I was planning on bringing a letter of employment, my lease and bank statements showing I could support myself as well as a return ticket. The K1 seemed like it would be a quicker process so that's why we chose that route. It was just over 5 months from when we sent in the I129 petition until the visa approval for us. From what I have researched it would hve taken longer if we got married there for his paperwork to be approved for himto move to the states
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:06 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

There is a British Embassy in New York City. You need an appointment to be seen there . I tried calling on the phonewhen we thought about getting married in the UK but all I ever got was an automated system and was never able to speak with a live operator. There was a call center that charged by the minute but just like when you call for the US embassy in London you don't reach the embassy directly and the people on the other end haven't a clue. If you have questions for the US embassy in London about immigrating to the US try emailing them at [email protected]. They have answered every email that we sent to them in about 4 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.