Getting married on an ESTA

Wikiposts

Getting married on an ESTA

Old Sep 10th 2018, 9:30 am
Just Joined

newy51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married on an ESTA

Hey everyone,

So I've been reading all kinds of things on different websites about getting married in the US. I'll start with my situation.. I'm a UK citizen and my fiancé is a US citizen. We plan on getting married over in the states before applying for a spouse visa and her moving over to the UK to live with me.

I was just wanting some advice about it, would I have to apply for a certain type of visa? Or could I go over on a ESTA and do it all legally? And would the marriage be recognised back in the UK?

I know if we were to get married in the UK then we would have to apply for a fiancé visa first, get married within 6 months and then apply for the spouse visa once married.

All your help and advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance, M.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 9:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married on an ESTA

Yes, you can marry on an ESTA and providing the marriage is legal in the state in which you marry then it will be recognised in the UK. A fiancée visa isn’t necessary for you to marry in the UK although your fiancée would need a marriage visitor visa and she would need to return to the US to apply for her spouse visa.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 11:09 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem at all getting married on the VWP. That’s how we did it. Many people do it every year.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 2:05 am
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

I also got married in DC on the VWP, marriage is definitely recognised in the UK.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 3:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would be vaguely amusing if it wasn't.