Getting married but not staying

Wikiposts

Getting married but not staying

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:01 am
Just Joined

workavoidance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting married but not staying

Hi all,

Don't you hate it when people post a question into a forum that has been answered twenty times already? Well... I know, but honest, I had done a few searches and have found conflicting information, so I give up, and apologize in advance.

Details:
Bride - US Citizen currently living in Norway (on a working visa)
Groom - British Citizen currently living in Norway (EU rocks)
Location - We are planning to get married in Virginia, USA.
Date - June 2009 (I know)

But, I think the important thing is we plan to leave the US a couple of weeks after getting married and live together in Oslo for the foreseeable future. If we ever move to the US, it'll be in several years time.

So, I WAS planning on just entering the US on visa waiver, getting married, going to the british embassy in the US, maybe even the Norwegian embassy in the US, and then coming back to Norway.

However, all this talk of K1 is frankly scaring me - so. Help?

Thanks all,
Jon
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married but not staying

the K1 is for if you wish to Enter the US to get married and live there. You dont want to do that so you have nothing tho worry about with the K1 visa.

As far as I know you can marry anywhere. You could enter the US on the Visa Wavier get married and return to Norway.

The only thing I think you'd need to look into is a Visa for your wife to live with you once your married in the EU so when her working Visa expires she doesnt have to leave.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:05 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I came over from the UK on the VWP got married and left again. My wife followed a few months later to live in the UK.

No problems.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:11 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Just check and see what the marriage licence requirements are for the state you plan on getting married in. In NYC you need to get the licence 24 hours in advance. In some states its a week or more.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's perfectly legal to get married in the USA while on the VWP, as long as you plan to leave before your 90-day visit is up.

Rene
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:34 am
Just Joined

workavoidance is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the help, this site is amazing...