Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting married before recieving K1

Wikiposts

Getting married before recieving K1

Old Jul 21st 2002, 1:20 am
Russ

Default Getting married before recieving K1

Hi, Our plan is to get married on Sept 21st. We have been approved in CSC 2nd July
and I am waiting for my interview date from London. My question is... Is it ok to get
married in the US under the visa waiver if my K1 is not through on time. I was
thinking about having a ceremony on 21st Sept (family have already bought flights and
accomodation for this date) but not getting the wedding certificate i.e. 'officially'
getting married after that when my K1 finally comes through. Obviously there is some
time before Sept but I am starting to worry about my interview being in time for our
planned date.

Has anybody else been in this situation?

Russ

Old Jul 21st 2002, 3:20 am
Matta Harri

Default Re: Getting married before recieving K1

In article <[email protected]>, "Russ"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi, Our plan is to get married on Sept 21st. We have been approved in CSC 2nd July
    > and I am waiting for my interview date from London. My question is... Is it ok to
    > get married in the US under the visa waiver if my K1 is not through on time. I was
    > thinking about having a ceremony on 21st Sept (family have already bought flights
    > and accomodation for this date) but not getting the wedding certificate i.e.
    > 'officially' getting married after that when my K1 finally comes through. Obviously
    > there is some time before Sept but I am starting to worry about my interview being
    > in time for our planned date.
    >
    > Has anybody else been in this situation?
    >
When you send your papers back to London, you should put a note explaining that you
need to be in the US for this wedding date. If you have already sent in the papers,
call London and ask for a date prior to your wedding date. They generally try to
accommodate from what we have seen here.

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
and if you don't like it, then I suggest you see an immigration attorney. It'll cost
more, but it may be worth more, too.
=========================================

Old Jul 21st 2002, 3:20 am
Mrtravel

Are you currently in the US?

Russ wrote:
    >
    > Hi, Our plan is to get married on Sept 21st. We have been approved in CSC 2nd July
    > and I am waiting for my interview date from London. My question is... Is it ok to
    > get married in the US under the visa waiver if my K1 is not through on time. I was
    > thinking about having a ceremony on 21st Sept (family have already bought flights
    > and accomodation for this date) but not getting the wedding certificate i.e.
    > 'officially' getting married after that when my K1 finally comes through. Obviously
    > there is some time before Sept but I am starting to worry about my interview being
    > in time for our planned date.
    >
    > Has anybody else been in this situation?
    >
    > Russ

Old Jul 21st 2002, 8:20 am
Russ

No. I am in the UK but want to get over as soon as I can. I have a wedding to help
organise!!

"mrtravel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Are you currently in the US?
    >
    > Russ wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi, Our plan is to get married on Sept 21st. We have been approved in CSC
2nd
    > > July and I am waiting for my interview date from London. My question
is...
    > > Is it ok to get married in the US under the visa waiver if my K1 is not through
    > > on time. I was thinking about having a ceremony on 21st Sept
(family
    > > have already bought flights and accomodation for this date) but not
getting
    > > the wedding certificate i.e. 'officially' getting married after that
when my
    > > K1 finally comes through. Obviously there is some time before Sept but I
am
    > > starting to worry about my interview being in time for our planned date.
    > >
    > > Has anybody else been in this situation?
    > >
    > > Russ

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 5:21 am
Russ

Who do I call? I called the telephone number on the web page (the 1.50 a minute one)
but they do not have our California approval on their screens yet. I sent them a
letter today but I really don't know what else to do.

"Matta Harri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Russ"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, Our plan is to get married on Sept 21st. We have been approved in CSC
2nd
    > > July and I am waiting for my interview date from London. My question
is...
    > > Is it ok to get married in the US under the visa waiver if my K1 is not through
    > > on time. I was thinking about having a ceremony on 21st Sept
(family
    > > have already bought flights and accomodation for this date) but not
getting
    > > the wedding certificate i.e. 'officially' getting married after that
when my
    > > K1 finally comes through. Obviously there is some time before Sept but I
am
    > > starting to worry about my interview being in time for our planned date.
    > >
    > > Has anybody else been in this situation?
    > >
    > When you send your papers back to London, you should put a note explaining that you
    > need to be in the US for this wedding date. If you have already sent in the papers,
    > call London and ask for a date prior to your wedding date. They generally try to
    > accommodate from what we have seen here.

> Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
    > =========================================
    > I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
    > and if you don't like it, then I suggest you see an immigration attorney. It'll
    > cost more, but it may be worth more, too.
    > =========================================