Wikiposts

Getting Married

Old May 8th 2002, 12:40 am
Femy Jonsson

Default Getting Married

Hello Everyone,

I went to US under Visa Waiver Program last month (i'm from Sweden) and came back
last week and only stayed there for 2 weeks. And I am planning of travelling back
there again with my 8 years old son next month June under the same Visa
program....what I want to know is; Is it possible to get married under visa waiver
program and then file a new visa application to be a permanent resedence in US for me
and my son after getting married without going back to Sweden?

If so, can I travel back to Sweden during my application?

I really appreciate any help.

Thank You very much!

Femy

Old May 8th 2002, 1:10 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Getting Married

"Femy Jonsson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I went to US under Visa Waiver Program last month (i'm from Sweden) and came back
    > last week and only stayed there for 2 weeks. And I am planning of travelling back
    > there again with my 8 years old son next month June under the same Visa
    > program....what I want to know is; Is it possible to get married under visa waiver
    > program and then file a new visa application to be a permanent resedence in US for
    > me and my son after getting married without going back to Sweden?

Yes it's possible; accept the conditions at this site:

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

and then choose the tourist adjustment link to read all about this.

> If so, can I travel back to Sweden during my application?

You would need to apply for advance parole to allow you to return to the US during
the time your application is pending.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old May 8th 2002, 1:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few things you probably are not aware of since you are only starting this whole 'in love with a USC and want to migrate there'.

The first and, in my opinion, important thing is that is one cannot enter the US for the express purpose of marriage without proper INS permission. That said, there are a few wrinkles to the statement. Say you come to visit, find you are in love and on the spur of the moment marry, then INS will allow you to stay and adjust status. Or if in your case, you are successful in entering the US without commiting fraud at the POE, than you can marry and adjust. The hardest part for you since you are bringing a child with you is the second wrinkle. Not committing fraud means not lying about your intentions if asked. An examiner can be tipped off by the inadvertent slip of the tongue of a child during examination. An exordinary amount of luggage and/or household belongings being bought into the country.

Being from Sweden, I believe that if your intended spouse flies there, marries you, he can then do what is called direct consular filing DCF for you and your son to enter the US as permanent residents. The procedure if allowed can take from one to eight weeks for completion. A much preferable way to go.

The second opinion is for him to apply for a Fiancee Visa for you (K-1) and K-2 for your son. That should take about 6 months to be finalized. You then have permission to enter the US to marry and adjust status.

Please check out the following URLS for step by step information

The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com
DFC Helpsite at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Rete
Old May 8th 2002, 5:40 am
Femy Jonsson

Thank You very much for all the information, I really appreciate it.

*Femy*

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > There are a few things you probably are not aware of since you are only starting
    > this whole 'in love with a USC and want to migrate there'.
    >
    > The first and, in my opinion, important thing is that is one cannot enter the US
    > for the express purpose of marriage without proper INS permission. That said, there
    > are a few wrinkles to the statement. Say you come to visit, find you are in love
    > and on the spur of the moment marry, then INS will allow you to stay and adjust
    > status. Or if in your case, you are successful in entering the US without commiting
    > fraud at the POE, than you can marry and adjust. The hardest part for you since you
    > are bringing a child with you is the second wrinkle. Not committing fraud means not
    > lying about your intentions if asked. An examiner can be tipped off by the
    > inadvertent slip of the tongue of a child during examination. An exordinary amount
    > of luggage and/or household belongings being bought into the country.
    >
    > Being from Sweden, I believe that if your intended spouse flies there, marries you,
    > he can then do what is called direct consular filing DCF for you and your son to
    > enter the US as permanent residents. The procedure if allowed can take from one to
    > eight weeks for completion. A much preferable way to go.
    >
    > The second opinion is for him to apply for a Fiancee Visa for you (K-1) and K-2 for
    > your son. That should take about 6 months to be finalized. You then have permission
    > to enter the US to marry and adjust status.
    >
    > Please check out the following URLS for step by step information
    >
    > The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com DFC Helpsite at:
    > http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
    >
    > Rete
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 8th 2002, 5:40 am
Femy Jonsson

Thanks Andy!

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Femy Jonsson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello Everyone,
    > >
    > > I went to US under Visa Waiver Program last month (i'm from Sweden) and came back
    > > last week and only stayed there for 2 weeks. And I am planning of travelling back
    > > there again with my 8 years old son next month June under the same Visa
    > > program....what I want to know is; Is it possible to get married under visa
    > > waiver program and then file a new visa application
to
    > > be a permanent resedence in US for me and my son after getting married without
    > > going back to Sweden?
    >
    > Yes it's possible; accept the conditions at this site:
    >
    >
    > and then choose the tourist adjustment link to read all about this.
    >
    > > If so, can I travel back to Sweden during my application?
    >
    > You would need to apply for advance parole to allow you to return to the
US
    > during the time your application is pending.
    >
    > --
    > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old May 9th 2002, 7:20 am
Femy Jonsson

By the way, let say that my fiance flies to Sweden....Can we get married anytime?
Unlike If I fly to US without having visa, i have to wait 60 days or something before
getting married, since my fiance can also come to Sweden without having visa which he
already did a couple of months ago.

If so, can he do what you just said "direct consular filing DCF" here in Sweden for
me and my son or does he need to go back to US and do that there?

Thank You for very much!

*Femy*

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > There are a few things you probably are not aware of since you are only starting
    > this whole 'in love with a USC and want to migrate there'.
    >
    > The first and, in my opinion, important thing is that is one cannot enter the US
    > for the express purpose of marriage without proper INS permission. That said, there
    > are a few wrinkles to the statement. Say you come to visit, find you are in love
    > and on the spur of the moment marry, then INS will allow you to stay and adjust
    > status. Or if in your case, you are successful in entering the US without commiting
    > fraud at the POE, than you can marry and adjust. The hardest part for you since you
    > are bringing a child with you is the second wrinkle. Not committing fraud means not
    > lying about your intentions if asked. An examiner can be tipped off by the
    > inadvertent slip of the tongue of a child during examination. An exordinary amount
    > of luggage and/or household belongings being bought into the country.
    >
    > Being from Sweden, I believe that if your intended spouse flies there, marries you,
    > he can then do what is called direct consular filing DCF for you and your son to
    > enter the US as permanent residents. The procedure if allowed can take from one to
    > eight weeks for completion. A much preferable way to go.
    >
    > The second opinion is for him to apply for a Fiancee Visa for you (K-1) and K-2 for
    > your son. That should take about 6 months to be finalized. You then have permission
    > to enter the US to marry and adjust status.
    >
    > Please check out the following URLS for step by step information
    >
    > The K1 FAQ http://www.k1faq.com DFC Helpsite at:
    >
    > Rete
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 9th 2002, 11:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If the US Consulate in Sweden allows DCF then he would come to Sweden, marry you, and file at the US Consulate for you and your son. He can then leave Sweden to return to the US.

As fo what is required in Sweden for you two to marry, you will have to find that out from your government or perhaps someone else on the newsgroup might know.

Rita