Reload this Page >

getting dual citizenship US passport holder

Wikiposts

getting dual citizenship US passport holder

Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Robert9561 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting dual citizenship US passport holder

Hi, I have just joined tonight and I hope somebody out there can help me with this. Trying to get information and automated phonelines to various departments have been a nightmare.
I have a friend who was born in the USA and holds a current US passport.
I am trying to find information that would answer the question can a US citizen get a duel UK/USA passport.
The full details are. Mother was British y.o.b 1928. Married US soldier in 1946 and moved to US.
Friend born US citizen 1961. Has UK visa valid at present until 2011 and as had all visa background checks made to validate current visa.
If anyone can advise me who to approach to try and help with this, I would be so very gratefull.
regards, Rob.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting dual citizenship US passport holder

Originally Posted by Robert9561
Hi, I have just joined tonight and I hope somebody out there can help me with this. Trying to get information and automated phonelines to various departments have been a nightmare.
I have a friend who was born in the USA and holds a current US passport.
I am trying to find information that would answer the question can a US citizen get a duel UK/USA passport.
The full details are. Mother was British y.o.b 1928. Married US soldier in 1946 and moved to US.
Friend born US citizen 1961. Has UK visa valid at present until 2011 and as had all visa background checks made to validate current visa.
If anyone can advise me who to approach to try and help with this, I would be so very gratefull.
regards, Rob.
Yes, a USC can have dual USC/UKC if that person is also a UKC.

If your USC friend believes he's a UKC, why hasn't he applied for a UK passport? Why has he applied for a visa to the UK? Even if only a USC, he doesn't need a visa to visit the UK.

Did his parents register his birth abroad with the UK embassy?

Did his parents continue living in the USA after he was born?

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Hi Noorah, thanks for replying.
hasn't applied for UK passport, thats the intention but trying to find the right contacts is the difficult part. Trying different departments and always ending up waiting listening to automated messages.
He has a USA passport and born a USA citizen, but mother was born British.
I dont believe parents registered birth with UK, both parents have passed away in the USA over the past couple years. His mothers side of the family Uncles/Auntys large family still reside in the UK. We wonder as his mother was a UKC before leaving for the USA does this go anywhere to helping obtain a duel UK/USA passport esp as his mothers familys are still in the UK.
Regards
Rob.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robert9561
Hi Noorah, thanks for replying.
hasn't applied for UK passport, thats the intention but trying to find the right contacts is the difficult part. Trying different departments and always ending up waiting listening to automated messages.
He has a USA passport and born a USA citizen, but mother was born British.
I dont believe parents registered birth with UK, both parents have passed away in the USA over the past couple years. His mothers side of the family Uncles/Auntys large family still reside in the UK. We wonder as his mother was a UKC before leaving for the USA does this go anywhere to helping obtain a duel UK/USA passport esp as his mothers familys are still in the UK.
Regards
Rob.
Here are the requirements for someone in your friend's situation:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...britishmother/

And here is the Form he would he would need to fill out, and the Instruction Guide:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ationality/ukm

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 15th 2010 at 9:07 am. Reason: added info
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Thankyou so much for your assistance. I will pass this information on.
I will let you know if we succeed in our endeavour.
Regards,
Rob.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here are the requirements for someone in your friend's situation:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...britishmother/

And here is the Form he would he would need to fill out, and the Instruction Guide:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ationality/ukm

Rene
I knew there were enacting new legislation. Thanks for the active links.

My understanding from the contents is if the applicant is outside the UK submit the paperwork via the consulate in the country of residence. That's straightforward. All applicants must have three written character references, two must be UK citizens!

How many applicants can come up with affadavits from two UK citizens living their entire lives in the US, or anywhere outside the UK? I am sure in reality they are eventually going to accept local references

I may be mistaken, but the applicant has only one shot at this. In other words the Home Office will provide an explanation for denial, but it doesn't mention that applicant has the right to an appeal. If my interpretation is correct, I would definitely make in investment in a good attorney in the UK

Errol
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:22 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Errol
I may be mistaken, but the applicant has only one shot at this. In other words the Home Office will provide an explanation for denial, but it doesn't mention that applicant has the right to an appeal. If my interpretation is correct, I would definitely make in investment in a good attorney in the UK

Errol
Was there something about only allowed to apply once ?

Maybe No appeal, but you can re-apply as often as you feel like it. ?

EDIT.. Sorry, I did not mean the last sentence to be a statement, I meant to add a ? to it. I'm absolutely sure I don't know the right answer.

Last edited by A I; Jun 16th 2010 at 3:04 am.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Errol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A I
Was there something about only allowed to apply once ?

Maybe No appeal, but you can re-apply as often as you feel like it. ?

EDIT.. Sorry, I did not mean the last sentence to be a statement, I meant to add a ? to it. I'm absolutely sure I don't know the right answer.

I re-read the sections and as you said, it doesn't specifically state you can't reapply.

Quote: "While there is no legal right to appeal or review we will reconsider representations if they consider it if the refusal wasn't soundly based on nationality law or prevailing policy"

The moral is, complete the question with care and make sure there aren't any outstanding issues