Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

Wikiposts

Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

Old May 8th 2006, 5:11 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Jen:

There is nothing wrong in asking a question twice. ["Measure twice, cut once"]. IMHO, this thread can now be considered "hijacked." Pity, the OP has some well taken questions.
And there I was thinking it was "Meauxna twice, Matt once"

Old May 8th 2006, 5:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
But why ask the question a second time before considering the resources given to you when you ask the first time?

The OP got some great links in his older thread where he asked these same questions before. I pointed this out to him in my response to him up above. I certainly wouldn't call that "hijacking" the thread.

~ Jenney
\

Because he may not have understood the links. Immigration law can be confusing -- the courts have said so: "We enter the never never land of the Immigration and Nationality Act, where plain words don't always mean what they say."
Old May 8th 2006, 5:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
\

Because he may not have understood the links. Immigration law can be confusing -- the courts have said so: "We enter the never never land of the Immigration and Nationality Act, where plain words don't always mean what they say."
Also, because these threads are really hard to read on Usenet, and hard to search for. They get all out of whack and don't go according to date. I wouldn't blame the OP for losing track of his original post.

Rene
Old May 8th 2006, 7:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Also, because these threads are really hard to read on Usenet, and hard to search for. They get all out of whack and don't go according to date. I wouldn't blame the OP for losing track of his original post.

Rene
For those unfamiliar with Usenet and/or depending on the newsreader or service the person uses, it can be difficult.

For future reference, one can go to google.com, click the 'groups' tab above the search box and use their name or another search phrase to find their old post. When you get the search result, re-sort it "by date" (on the right hand side of the screen).

You can also have the option of searching for additional posts by a given user by clicking on 'options' in the person's post.
Old May 8th 2006, 7:07 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

Originally Posted by meauxna
For those unfamiliar with Usenet and/or depending on the newsreader or service the person uses, it can be difficult.

For future reference, one can go to google.com, click the 'groups' tab above the search box and use their name or another search phrase to find their old post. When you get the search result, re-sort it "by date" (on the right hand side of the screen).

You can also have the option of searching for additional posts by a given user by clicking on 'options' in the person's post.

But wouldn't it be simpler to just register with British Expats???
Old May 8th 2006, 8:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But wouldn't it be simpler to just register with British Expats???
Not always.
I was a diehard Usenet user. When I was in Greece and started my research, my ISP there did not offer this group. I posted thru google/groups for awhile and finally gave in to a GUI web board (ewwwwww) aka BE since that is where most people posted from and the polling delay on google groups was 3 hours. Since I was on the opposite time zone from most people, I wanted faster replies.
It was a psychological stretch to join BE, but I managed. I still like to read via my newsreader, but for searching, I like google/groups. Posting thru BE is clearly more fun with access to different groups and PM & flagging features. But if someone was not a Brit or married to a Brit, I could see why they wouldn't feel like they had a 'right' to join here.

ATTN all: You do not have to be a Brit or involved with a Brit to join britishexpats.com

PS: most of the junk posts are filtered out before they reach us here, another plus for BE!
Old May 8th 2006, 9:02 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

ATTN all: You do not have to be a Brit or involved with a Brit to join britishexpats.com
Only two requirements:
1) Sense of humour
2) Thick skin
Old May 8th 2006, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Only two requirements:
1) Sense of humour
2) Thick skin
?
That's strange. After reading the other forums, my impression was that just "thick" was the qualifier....

dammit, edit to add the <g> for the still confused...
Old May 8th 2006, 9:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Getting daughter to the USA - best route to take.

?
That's strange. After reading the other forums, my impression was that just "thick" was the qualifier....

dammit, edit to add the <g> for the still confused...

So who you calling thick then missus??!!@!!!!

And where have you been lurking?
Old May 8th 2006, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Elvira
So who you calling thick then missus??!!@!!!!

And where have you been lurking?
lol, over here like a proper little madam with butter not melting in my mouth.

Now you've about used up my vocabulary.
Pie and chips anyone?
Old May 8th 2006, 12:28 pm
Homebody

lol, over here like a proper little madam with butter not melting in my mouth.

Now you've about used up my vocabulary.
Pie and chips anyone?

So you never venture into the Lounge then, not to mention the Trailer Park? Wise decision. I tell you, the filth and the dirty innuendo - shocking...!!! A coy little septic rose like you would find it quite disturbing, I'm sure...

(This post is not being sent to Usenet...)

Old May 11th 2006, 8:02 pm
Steve

Thank you. I have looked at these links and I don't understand. All
these links use the word "spouse" not "child". And to use a quote:

"Written from a spouse perspective, but you should be able to figure
out the differences"

I haven't found any info that relates directly to a child so I can't
figure out the differences.

If anyone has "imported" their child, I would like to get their method.

Steve

Old May 11th 2006, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve
Thank you. I have looked at these links and I don't understand. All
these links use the word "spouse" not "child". And to use a quote:

"Written from a spouse perspective, but you should be able to figure
out the differences"

I haven't found any info that relates directly to a child so I can't
figure out the differences.

If anyone has "imported" their child, I would like to get their method.

Steve
Hi:

Both the spouse and "child" of a US Citizen fall into the same legal classification as an "Immediate Relative" -- the procedure is the SAME. Diffrences are that no G-325's are needed for the I-130, and that it is a good idea to have the marriage certificate of you [dad] to your former wife [the immigrant's mother].

I don't know if Sydney will do a DCF, but you can ask. I see no reason why not, but you might want to ask before you go.

Also, depending upon the finances, it may be that your current wife need not do an I-864 or I-864A. But then again she may have to. You don't say why you've waited until now. There was no step-parent petitition by your current wife which is how a lot of people DO do a DCF via Sydney. No need to explain the reason -- it may be that your "importation" waited until she reached 18 and expressed interest in the green card.