British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Getting Biometrics done at another ASC? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/getting-biometrics-done-another-asc-787743/)

khai ko Feb 18th 2013 3:18 am

Getting Biometrics done at another ASC?

Can't keep the I-485 Biometrics appointment on the day they've scheduled it - will be out of state traveling then. Can the appointment letter be taken to another USCIS Application Support Center near where I'll be that day and get the fingerprinting done there?

RICH Feb 18th 2013 3:24 am

Re: Getting Biometrics done at another ASC?

It might be possible, but I would anticipate problems. Another alternative, some have had success with, is a walk-in at your designated place on a different date.

lansbury Feb 18th 2013 3:27 am

Originally Posted by khai ko (Post 10551745)
Can't keep the I-485 Biometrics appointment on the day they've scheduled it - will be out of state traveling then. Can the appointment letter be taken to another USCIS Application Support Center near where I'll be that day and get the fingerprinting done there?

Nothing to be lost by walking in and asking. They will either let you or say no. Nothing lost either way. Or as Rich suggested go into the ASC you have the appointment at on a day convenient to you and ask them if they can do it then.

RICH Feb 18th 2013 3:52 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10551757)
Nothing to be lost by walking in and asking. They will either let you or say no. Nothing lost either way. Or as Rich suggested go into the ASC you have the appointment at on a day convenient to you and ask them if they can do it then.

Thinking back, the place I had to go to was not a well documented address, so finding the right place out of state could be a challenge. It was not at the ASC, but a dedicated building in an office park.

Noorah101 Feb 18th 2013 4:03 am

My brother in law, whose permanent address was in Phoenix Arizona, had an immigration court appointment in El Paso, TX. He had a biometrics appointment from the Phoenix office, but his immigration lawyer wanted him to get it done there in El Paso. The lawyer did not accompany us to the ASC, and we had a heck of a time trying to explain to them why he was getting biometrics done in El Paso when he lives in Phoenix. They finally did it, but it was a big hassle, and they were reluctant to do it. They wanted to see all his immigration documents, court order from El Paso, etc.

I'd try to avoid getting it done at an out-of-state ASC.

Rene

Michael Feb 18th 2013 7:07 am

Originally Posted by khai ko (Post 10551745)

If I remember correctly, many on BE have just went to the appointment on an earlier date than stated on the letter and didn't have any problems. After all, it only takes a few minutes and arguing with a client would probably take longer than that.

sir_eccles Feb 18th 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10551928)
If I remember correctly, many on BE have just went to the appointment on an earlier date than stated on the letter and didn't have any problems. After all, it only takes a few minutes and arguing with a client would probably take longer than that.

I think the key here is going earlier. Missing the appointment and going later is not the same.

Noorah101 Feb 18th 2013 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10552619)
I think the key here is going earlier. Missing the appointment and going later is not the same.

Correct.

If the OP can do a walk-in at the local ASC office before the designated appointment date, that would be the best thing to do.

If the OP can't go in earlier, and also can't make the designated appointment date, I believe they have to fill out the back of the appointment letter, requesting a later date. They can't choose the date, USCIS will just assign another appointment at a later date (perhaps significantly later, perhaps not), and will send another appointment letter.

Rene

khai ko Feb 19th 2013 2:41 am

Thank you all for the comments. I have decided to go early and give it a try. I received the appointment letter 2 days ago and my appointment date is about 4 weeks from today. Do you think if I went next week, that it may be too early and the ASC might not 'find' me in their system yet? LOL.

Not that I'm in too much of a rush, but even my own ASC is 1.5 hours drive, and I'm a having a bit of scheduling issues after next week.

The Earl of Drumer Feb 19th 2013 3:59 am

Walk-in success seems to vary from center to center, although it really does depend on the day;

henryh Feb 19th 2013 4:44 am

I had no trouble at all doing an early walk-in at the San Francisco ASC even though my appointment was for the Oakland ASC. I think it's just pot luck, and the odds are reasonably good, so give it a try.

jeffreyhy Feb 19th 2013 8:26 pm

I don't understand what you're saying here. Biometrics are only done at ASCs. I expect that the "dedicated building in an office park" was in fact an ASC.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10551777)
Thinking back, the place I had to go to was not a well documented address, so finding the right place out of state could be a challenge. It was not at the ASC, but a dedicated building in an office park.

RICH Feb 19th 2013 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10555458)
I don't understand what you're saying here. Biometrics are only done at ASCs. I expect that the "dedicated building in an office park" was in fact an ASC.

Regards, JEff

You are right, it did call itself an ASC, but it is miles from the place I went for interviews & an infopass appointment, which I think was also an ASC, but may have been a "District" or "Field" Office.

This was in Tampa. There is a new place now called the ASC, which possibly combines everything in one place, I have not been there. The addresses for the 2 places I went don't seem to still operate.

henryh Feb 20th 2013 2:33 am

Interviews and infopass appointments take place at a USCIS field office. Biometrics are taken at an ASC. Sometimes ASCs and field offices are in the same location, but mostly not.

khai ko Mar 10th 2013 3:07 pm

Just to update: did a walk-in 2 weeks before the appointment date (which was next week), and all went well. No questions on why I had come early.

Have not received EAD card yet, but I notice online case status shows my I-485 case is under "Testing and Interview" (".. is now ready for interview scheduling"). A bit surprised that it shows nothing about 'Biometrics complete' or 'EAD on it's way', which is what I would have expected at this point?