Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

GC holder wants to marry a visitor...

Wikiposts

GC holder wants to marry a visitor...

Old Jul 18th 2002, 7:20 pm
Mak

Default GC holder wants to marry a visitor...

Hi Guys, I want to marry this beautiful girl who is on visitor visa here. I am on gc
and people tell me that its very tough. how does it work - what are our options?
Thanks Mak

Old Jul 20th 2002, 10:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: GC holder wants to marry a visitor...

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:41:38 -0700, mak wrote:

> Hi Guys, I want to marry this beautiful girl who is on visitor visa here. I am on
    > gc and people tell me that its very tough. how does it work - what are our options?
    > Thanks Mak

Basically, your only option is to wait until you are a US citizen.

Of course, she can try to pursue a non-immigrant visa (or an immigrant visa if by
chance she does qualify for another one) on her own. For instance, a student visa may
be an option.

Do be aware that if she is married to you, there is a good chance that she could not
get a student visa any more. You should not even be engaged.

Ingo

Old Jul 21st 2002, 8:20 pm
Mak

Thanks Ingo, one more - how does it work with student visa if she manages to get one?

"Ingo Pakleppa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:41:38 -0700, mak wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Guys, I want to marry this beautiful girl who is on visitor visa here. I am on
    > > gc and people tell me that its very tough. how does it work - what are our
    > > options? Thanks Mak
    >
    > Basically, your only option is to wait until you are a US citizen.
    >
    > Of course, she can try to pursue a non-immigrant visa (or an immigrant visa if by
    > chance she does qualify for another one) on her own. For instance, a student visa
    > may be an option.
    >
    > Do be aware that if she is married to you, there is a good chance that she could
    > not get a student visa any more. You should not even be engaged.
    >
    > Ingo

Old Jul 21st 2002, 8:20 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

She'd first have to get accepted at a university. The university will handle the
paperwork. She gets the F-1 visa at a consulate, and then travels to the US to attend
university full time. That's basically all there is to it (as a tourist, she cannot
change to student status inside the US unless she proves that her plans have changed.
That will be difficult).

In order to get the student visa, she will have to show that she has no plans to
immigrate to the US. That's why you shouldn't get married or even engaged. Also, she
should plan on not living with you, at least initially, and she will have to come up
with the money for tuition etc. herself - if you help, that would again be evidence
of your relationship and thus of her plan of immigrating. And you should plan on her
returning to Brazil after completing her studies, at least temporarily to get an
immigrant visa.

Note: of course it IS legal to have some future plan to immigrate - she just needs to
show that she will return after studying and pursue immigration after
returning.

Ingo

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 23:43:23 -0700, mak wrote:

> Thanks Ingo, one more - how does it work with student visa if she manages to
    > get one?
    >
    >
    > "Ingo Pakleppa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:41:38 -0700, mak wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi Guys, I want to marry this beautiful girl who is on visitor visa here. I am
    >> > on gc and people tell me that its very tough. how does it work - what are our
    >> > options? Thanks Mak
    >>
    >> Basically, your only option is to wait until you are a US citizen.
    >>
    >> Of course, she can try to pursue a non-immigrant visa (or an immigrant visa if by
    >> chance she does qualify for another one) on her own. For instance, a student visa
    >> may be an option.
    >>
    >> Do be aware that if she is married to you, there is a good chance that she could
    >> not get a student visa any more. You should not even be engaged.
    >>
    >> Ingo