Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Gardisil vac for K-1 Visa

Wikiposts

Gardisil vac for K-1 Visa

Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice
Default Gardisil vac for K-1 Visa

Hi all

i've got my medical all booked for 27 november and i just had a question about the Gardisil vac. Its required for girls up to 26 but i'll be 27 on December 20th so if i defer it then will it still be required when i do my AOS or will it be void since i'll be 27 by then?

Also minor query on the MMR. i've got my vac record to prove i've had it but does it have a life span or expiry date so to speak like the Tdap?

Thanks x
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardisil vac for K-1 Visa

If you don't want to have the shot, I would postpone the medical under after your 27th birthday. AFAIK, the MMR is good for life.

Originally Posted by NicciT
Hi all

i've got my medical all booked for 27 november and i just had a question about the Gardisil vac. Its required for girls up to 26 but i'll be 27 on December 20th so if i defer it then will it still be required when i do my AOS or will it be void since i'll be 27 by then?

Also minor query on the MMR. i've got my vac record to prove i've had it but does it have a life span or expiry date so to speak like the Tdap?

Thanks x
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

NicciT, are you thinking of getting the first shot, or none, in London?
That's an interesting workaround... for a K visa applicant only.

I'm 99% sure the MMR is a one time only; have you checked the vaccine chart posted on the London website? It might make that more clear.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If you don't want to have the shot, I would postpone the medical under after your 27th birthday. AFAIK, the MMR is good for life.
Agree. (Although vaccines don't confer 100% immunity, but that's a different story )
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice

i don't really want to postpone the medical as i've booked the travel and its non refundable as at the time of booking the lady said i can opt to defer my vaccines until my AOS so i just wondered that as i'll be 27 when my AOS comes into play whether i would still need the vaccine at that time. i think i'll call them monday and see if they know.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Agree. (Although vaccines don't confer 100% immunity, but that's a different story )
Gardasil is a multi-series vaccine.
K applicants do not need to have completed a series to get the visa, but need to show evidence of starting it for AOS IF they are still required at that point.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

OP - if you decide to get Gardisil, you should be able to get it via your GP.

The NHS's contract is for another vaccine - Cervarix. However, if anyone actually wants to have Gardisil, then there's no real reason why you can't get it.

Some GPs will provide it, no questions. Others might ask you to pay for it as a private prescription as it is not the preferred option.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Im guessing your still to have the medical examination at knightsbridge in london from what ive understood about your posts.

If so, you dont have to have the HPV at that time, and can tell knightsbridge you will arrange the HPV once your in the USA. things like MMR and Tdap you need and can get from your GP for free. I had both when i was a baby but had to re-have them for my london medical and took the updated vaccine history from my GP with me.

Once you get to the USA on your K1 visa you need to apply for your AOS within the 90 days of arriving. This takes you well over your birthday and so if 27 year olds are not required to have it then I dont think you will need it for your AOS.

Make sure you get the vaccine worksheet from knightsbridge after your exam (on that day). You can then take it to a USCIS approved doctor and get the I-693 where they will update it and should put a nice tick in the "not age appropriate" for the HPV. Id take a copy of the vaccine table with you too, so they understand and can see that its not age appropriate and not just going by your word. That then gets sent with your AOS application.

Good luck
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help everyone. Just had two vacs at the GP - I did have to have the MMR as you are meant to have two doses in your lifetime (as a child) but it looks like I only ever had the one and I also had to have the Td one.

Thought it might be helpful for other applicants to know that the adult Td does not include the pertussis vaccine and as this is combined and does not come on its own, the knightsbridge dr said that they will accept the Td if it is less than 10 years old as not all GPs will give adults the Tdap.

Am going to defer the Gardisil one until AOS and go down the not required due to age route when I enter the US. I've seen other posts about the potential side effects and if I really don't have to have it then I'd prefer not to.

Also a note to any other applicants who are wondering how long the medical may take (when arranging travel etc), the knightsbridge drs advised me that 1hr 30 mins would be plenty of time to allow.