British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   G-325A - what is the form submitted in connection to? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/g-325a-what-form-submitted-connection-648449/)

buzwad Jan 10th 2010 8:24 pm

G-325A - what is the form submitted in connection to?

Hi everyone,

since my last post, the timescale got pushed back by a year since my wife (USC) decided to work here for a year. Anyway, the time is now upon us to fill in forms for DCF in London.

My question this time is about the G-325A form:

Towards the bottom of the form, it asks
"This form is submitted in connection with an application for:"
and the options are
Naturalization
Status as Permanent Resident
or Other (please specify).

I was thinking of putting "I-130" under the "Other" option.... but I'm not sure, so thought I'd better check with the experts! :thumbup:

Also, I've been putting in "UK" or "United Kingdom" for the country name, but I read in someone else's post that this can be confused with Ukraine and "GB" is preferable... is this so?

Thanks in advance,
Buzwad

Noorah101 Jan 10th 2010 8:40 pm

Re: G-325A - what is the form submitted in connection to?

If it is the USC's G-325A, I'd say it's in connection with an I-130. If it's the UK's G-325A, it might be in connection with application for Immigrant Visa.

Rene

nettlebed Jan 10th 2010 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by buzwad (Post 8235722)

I was thinking of putting "I-130" under the "Other" option.... but I'm not sure, so thought I'd better check with the experts! :thumbup:

Also, I've been putting in "UK" or "United Kingdom" for the country name, but I read in someone else's post that this can be confused with Ukraine and "GB" is preferable... is this so?

Our attorney put down "Status as Permanent Resident" on mine, and on my wife's "Other" and added "I-130 application for spouse"

I've never heard anybody say that UK might be confused with Ukraine, and always used United Kingdom exclusively, but always written out, rather than just UK.

buzwad Jan 10th 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks to you both -- seems I'm not alone in finding this confusing!

@Noorah101: There isn't much room on the form under "Other"... I can fit "Immigrant Vis" on there :-/ Would that do for mine?

@Nettlebed: Are you the USC, or your wife? I'm surprised your attorney was able to write so much in a small space! :-p Agreed on the UK thing, but in many places on forms I-130 and G-325A there isn't enough space to write out the whole name.

And to throw another general question in.... is it appropriate to write "None" under "Middle name"?

avanutria Jan 10th 2010 9:32 pm

I wouldn't write none under middle name - I'd just draw a line through it.

nettlebed Jan 10th 2010 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by buzwad (Post 8235872)
Thanks to you both -- seems I'm not alone in finding this confusing!

Our attorney was not all confused (thank goodness :))

@Nettlebed: Are you the USC, or your wife? I'm surprised your attorney was able to write so much in a small space! :-p Agreed on the UK thing, but in many places on forms I-130 and G-325A there isn't enough space to write out the whole name.
At the time of application, I was a UKC, and my wife was the sponsoring USC. Also, the attorney had computer-fillable versions of all the forms as PDF files, so they were able to use an appropriately small typeface for all fields.

And to throw another general question in.... is it appropriate to write "None" under "Middle name"?
Where the answer was none, our attorney wrote "--NONE--" with two dashes either side of the word.

buzwad Jan 10th 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks to you both on the "None" matter -- it didn't seem right!:thumbsup:

@Nettlebed: Thanks for you insight -- did you also use DCF in London? If not, would that make a difference to what's put into the box?

nettlebed Jan 10th 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by buzwad (Post 8235901)
Thanks to you both on the "None" matter -- it didn't seem right!:thumbsup:

@Nettlebed: Thanks for you insight -- did you also use DCF in London? If not, would that make a difference to what's put into the box?

No, I adjusted while here in the US (I was on an H-1B when I got married). And, no, I don't believe it would make any difference.

ian-mstm Jan 10th 2010 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8235834)
I've never heard anybody say that UK might be confused with Ukraine...

It has happened. Mr. F. used to regale us with his thoughts on that from time to time. :)

Ian

BritishGuy36 Jan 11th 2010 12:02 am

Originally Posted by buzwad (Post 8235722)
I was thinking of putting "I-130" under the "Other" option....

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 8235768)
If it is the USC's G-325A, I'd say it's in connection with an I-130. If it's the UK's G-325A, it might be in connection with application for Immigrant Visa.

When we did it, we checked the 'other' box, and put 'I-130 Petition' on both.

Noorah101 Jan 11th 2010 12:22 am

Originally Posted by buzwad (Post 8235872)
@Noorah101: There isn't much room on the form under "Other"... I can fit "Immigrant Vis" on there :-/ Would that do for mine?

You are allowed to handwrite something on the form if you don't have enough space to type it on the fillable form online.

Rene

buzwad Jan 11th 2010 7:45 am

This helpful guide suggests I (UKC) would put "Status as Permanent Resident" in this case....

http://www.immihelp.com/forms/g-325a...formation.html

Noorah101 Jan 11th 2010 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by buzwad (Post 8237002)
This helpful guide suggests I (UKC) would put "Status as Permanent Resident" in this case....

Well, the thing is....you aren't really applying for status as a permanent resident. You're applying for an Immigrant Visa.

Rene

BritishGuy36 Jan 11th 2010 3:50 pm

No it doesn't....go read it again....that's for AOS. You aren't performing AOS.

jeffreyhy Jan 11th 2010 3:56 pm

This illustrates how important that question is. (NOT)

G-325A has such limited use these days, the case officer knows the purpose for which it was submitted regardless of how the question is answered. (And, the petition or application that requires it is right there along side.)

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 8237976)
Well, the thing is....you aren't really applying for status as a permanent resident. You're applying for an Immigrant Visa.

Rene

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 8238264)
No it doesn't....go read it again....that's for AOS. You aren't performing AOS.