Reload this Page >

Future Dr. moving to US

Future Dr. moving to US

Old Jan 3rd 2019, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Scot92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Future Dr. moving to US

Hi all,

I've been a distant follower of the forum for a while now, but recently got engaged to my American S/O & it now looks like it's time to start approaching the immigration hurdle. I was hoping some of you kind folks wouldn't mind answering a few of our questions.

Background:
  • I'm a 3rd year medical student in the UK, due to graduate in the summer of 2021; currently studying for the necessary medical boards to apply to US residency
  • My S/O lives in the US with an adequate salary to meet the financial aspects of an application with regards to support etc.
  • We are planning to marry in the US in summer 2020, and be together by summer 2021 (when I graduate)
    • This is in order to give us 10-12 months, in the event we need to go the CR1 route after our wedding so that I can work as soon as I touch down
We are aware that there are 2 routes to moving to the USA via marriage i.e. fiancee via (K1) or spouse visa (CR1). Although, I guess our questions are:
  1. Can I use the VWP to get married (I'd likely be in country doing some sort of elective anyway) & then head home after to go though the CR1 process?
    • I have to return to the UK after our wedding regardless to complete my final year anyway, & I am presuming this is the best route that would allow me to move to the US immediately upon graduation & be allowed to work as soon as I touch the soil (I graduate late June 2021 & most residencies start July 1st I believe so not sure there would be time for adjustments of status etc. there)?
  2. Is it possible to go the K1 route in time for 2020 & submit an adjustment of status in the US while being back in the UK in my final year - I presume that's completely impossible while being out of country but just wanted to make sure?
Any other options we have that I may be completely overlooking are welcome. Thanks for your time and happy NY!
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 5:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future Dr. moving to US

Hi and welcome to BE!

1. Yes. Although not sure if you can do an elective course on the VWP. But marriage is fine.

2. Way too tricky to try and plan the K-1 visa around a schedule like this. ..and you will have a period of several months where you can't leave the USA without abandoning your AOS. Best to stick with the CR-1.

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

1. Definitely "yes" - I did so myself and would recommend that route, as not only can you work immediately on arrival (you'll need to clear immigration first! ), but it is a "one step" process, so less faffing around with paperwork, at least until you qualify to swap your GC for citizenship.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both for getting back so quickly!

Looks like the CR1 is the way to go then. I believe it's also somewhat cheaper, so along with that 'one step' process, hopefully it eases the overall journey
Old Jan 4th 2019, 11:04 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Presume you have investigated the requirements to continue your medical education/residency in the US?

You certainly don't even want to think about a K1 IMO, because it could cause issues with you working (you you will authorization to work upon entry but no proof of such)

I agree you should follow the CR1.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I've had a look into that side of things. Several (rather arduous, tedious & expensive) exams and then an ECFMG certification process, but should be possible in the next 18 months I reckon.

Brilliant, I appreciate your input - definitely seems the best approach. I've read that the CR1 can take that little bit longer though, with some folk saying up to 13 months out of London. I should have 10.5-11 months between my wedding/applying and the residency start dates. Is there the option of an expedited application process for the CR1 at all just to make sure its through in time (provided they accept me), or is it just a case of sit tight and hope for the best?
Old Jan 4th 2019, 2:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

or is it just a case of sit tight and hope for the best?
This.

It should be noted that timescales have, and continue to, lengthen under the Trump administration. The longest waiting period is for the approval of the I-130 petition, which actually happens in the US,
Old Jan 4th 2019, 2:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The CR-1 can't be expedited. Make sure you know the next steps and have everything ready at each stage of the process.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2019, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski is back!

To the OP, how easy is it to convert your medical qualifications these days?
Old Jan 4th 2019, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Ahh I see, I'll be sure to have everything together first time around then to hopefully save any delays. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
To the OP, how easy is it to convert your medical qualifications these days?
On the surface I guess pretty easy. 2 8/9-hour multiple choice written exams (in the USA/London), 1 8-hour clinical exam (in the USA), and then a certification process of transcripts, exam results etc. through the ECFMG.

Although, under the surface its pretty complicated . Lots of learning & expenses, all before you're even at a point where you can apply for a residency spot (with IMG/FMG (international/foreign medical graduates) in many cases coming bottom of the application pile for consideration). All exams, certifications, rotations & interview expenses in the US included it's probably going to cost well in the region of >$10,000.

I'm sure it'll pay off in the end though. It's been part of a 5-10 year plan to move across with a comfortable life so