Reload this Page >

FULL Medical before filing AOS?

FULL Medical before filing AOS?

Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:16 pm
nce
Forum Regular

nce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FULL Medical before filing AOS?

So all of our papers are in order (finally) to file for AOS, except I haven't been able to get a clear cut answer on the medical exam. My husband has one scheduled for next week, and they are charging us $375 (which is totally outrageous!...but that is another topic in itself). We will be filing to the Chicago lockbox instead of our local office in Orlando, and the time frame for approval is much quicker now (in theory) than it would have been to file here in Orlando (last quote was 33 months here...)

My question is:
Is the medical exam necessary to file AOS? Won't it be expired before they reach his case since it was my understanding that medical exams were only good for one year?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Niki and Matthias

Here is our timeline:
12/30/02 Married in Germany
1/8/03 NOA #1 I-130
1/16/03 NOA #1 I-129F
4/30/03 I-129F APPROVAL
6/4/03 K-3 Approval
6/18/03 Entry to US
8/27/03 I-130 Approval
9/20/03 EAD Received
12/30/04 Our 2 year anniversary. (No conditions for us to remove...)
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: FULL Medical before filing AOS?

Originally Posted by nce
So all of our papers are in order (finally) to file for AOS, except I haven't been able to get a clear cut answer on the medical exam. My husband has one scheduled for next week, and they are charging us $375 (which is totally outrageous!...but that is another topic in itself). We will be filing to the Chicago lockbox instead of our local office in Orlando, and the time frame for approval is much quicker now (in theory) than it would have been to file here in Orlando (last quote was 33 months here...)

My question is:
Is the medical exam necessary to file AOS? Won't it be expired before they reach his case since it was my understanding that medical exams were only good for one year?
Issue 1

Are medical examinations required at the time of filing the Family AOS package?

NBC will accept applications without medical examinations, but if an applicant does not submit the medical examination upon initial filing, s/he must bring it to the interview. However, USCIS strongly encourages applicants to submit the medical examination Form (I-693) at the time of filing, as this will increase the likelihood that a final decision on the case can be made at the time of interview.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...aq.htm#medical

Issue 2

http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/h...n120204Pub.pdf

This memorandum temporarily extends the validity of civil surgeon endorsements on Form I-693 for certain adjustment of status applicants.

For adjustment of status applicants, the endorsement of a civil surgeon on Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status, is generally valid for one year. Some adjustment of status applications are concurrently filed with an immigrant visa petition as provided for at 8 CFR 245.2(a)(2). These applications are filed with a Form I-693 as required by 8 CFR 245.5. Some of these applications remain pending for more than the one-year validity period.

In a policy memorandum dated January 8, 2004, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) extended the validity of the civil surgeon endorsement on Form I-693 until the adjustment of status application could be adjudicated. This policy was issued in consultation with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and is limited to those applications where no Class A or Class B medical condition was certified. The policy is in effect until January 1, 2005.

Due to the continuing backlog of some concurrently filed adjustment of status applications, the validity of the civil surgeon’s endorsement on Form I-693, when submitted in support of a concurrently filed adjustment of status application as provided for at 8 CFR 245.2(a)(2), is extended until the time of adjudication if no Class A or Class B medical condition is certified by the civil surgeon.

This policy is in effect until January 1, 2006.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nce

My question is:

Thanks,
Niki and Matthias

Here is our timeline:
1/8/03 NOA #1 I-130
1/16/03 NOA #1 I-129F
4/30/03 I-129F APPROVAL
6/4/03 K-3 Approval
6/18/03 Entry to US
8/27/03 I-130 Approval
9/20/03 EAD Received
Hi:

Call all of the Docs on the list. The price may vary.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:21 pm
Guest21

Talking Re: FULL Medical before filing AOS?

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Call all of the Docs on the list. The price may vary.

Hello Everyone I have been reading this site for over a year and decided to chime in at last as I am also in the AOS process and found this site very helpful and feel that I can now maybe put some of my experiences in the AOS stage forward.
Folinskyinla is so right about calling all the Docs I called several and the price varied from $725 - $150 I might add that you do not need Xrays so you do not need to pay that additional cost UNLESS the TB results are positive then it is neccasary to have chest Xrays.

Good Luck everyone.

Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:18 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiskers
Hello Everyone I have been reading this site for over a year and decided to chime in at last as I am also in the AOS process and found this site very helpful and feel that I can now maybe put some of my experiences in the AOS stage forward.
Folinskyinla is so right about calling all the Docs I called several and the price varied from $725 - $150 I might add that you do not need Xrays so you do not need to pay that additional cost UNLESS the TB results are positive then it is neccasary to have chest Xrays.

Good Luck everyone.
Welcome karma for you!

Marnee
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:01 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough
Question Re: FULL Medical before filing AOS?

[QUOTE=sphyrapicus]Issue 2

This memorandum temporarily extends the validity of civil surgeon endorsements on Form I-693 for certain adjustment of status applicants.

details cut[QUOTE]Anyone have a clue what that means in layman's terms...?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Simon&Vik
Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Issue 2

details cut
Anyone have a clue what that means in layman's terms...?
It means that your medical is good for more than a year. It is extended until you have your adjustment interview.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:24 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

It means that your medical is good for more than a year. It is extended until you have your adjustment interview.
Ya, you gotta watch that Sphyrapicus... he likes to throw around those big words like he's cool or somethin'!

Marnee
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Ya, you gotta watch that Sphyrapicus... he likes to throw around those big words like he's cool or somethin'!

Marnee
Well, I must readily admit that I am not in favor of antidisestablishmentarianism.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:43 pm
Cool Member

Well, I must readily admit that I am not in favor of antidisestablishmentarianism.
I'll try anything once...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 10:57 pm
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Does that mean that you don't have any time-limit, as far as filing/completing your AOS?

And for K3, the Medical pwk is in their files, right? Cuz we didn't have anything like that to submit (that would find/remember, that is...)...

PS Simon used "antidisestablishmentarianism" this wkend as his "word of the week" to us. The 11 yr old still tried to spell it, even though he couldn't say it! PRICELESS!!

Last edited by Simon&Vik; Feb 16th 2005 at 11:08 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:53 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: FULL Medical before filing AOS?

Originally Posted by nce

My question is:

Thanks,
Niki and Matthias

Here is our timeline:
1/8/03 NOA #1 I-130
1/16/03 NOA #1 I-129F
4/30/03 I-129F APPROVAL
6/4/03 K-3 Approval
6/18/03 Entry to US
8/27/03 I-130 Approval
9/20/03 EAD Received

I too was wondering about the medical exam & phoned & asked about this & was told not to send the medical forms in with AOS application & to schedule medical as soon as we recieve appointment day for interview. Not really sure if this is the right thing to do or not but its the road we have chosen to follow. Fingers crossed we are doing the right thing. Its been a long road & we are getting weary!
Cheers
Shepslady
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shepslady
I too was wondering about the medical exam & phoned & asked about this & was told not to send the medical forms in with AOS application & to schedule medical as soon as we recieve appointment day for interview. Not really sure if this is the right thing to do or not but its the road we have chosen to follow. Fingers crossed we are doing the right thing. Its been a long road & we are getting weary!
Cheers
Shepslady
Who did you phone? Hopefully not the 1-800-I-don't-have-a-clue-what-I'm-talking-about line...
Old Feb 19th 2005, 2:56 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Really?? So I (K3 recipient) won't need another medical even though it has been a year and a month since I got it done??
Old Feb 19th 2005, 3:14 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: FULL Medical before filing AOS?

Who did you phone? Hopefully not the 1-800-I-don't-have-a-clue-what-I'm-talking-about line...
Ok so maybe they dont always give out the correct information but Ive phoned on 3 seperate occassions & have been told the same thing everytime. Is the medical supposed to be done & sent in with the original application or not?
Perhaps someone with legal knowledge might like to clarify this for us.
I was led to believe that the examination must be done withing a year of interview & from what I can see by a lot of the time frames posted that it oftens take more than a year to get the interview so really what would be the point of having the medical done & then having the time expire resulting in another medical needing to be carried out?
Sorry if it seems like Im not getting the point of all this but this immigration thing is really starting to fry my brain cells & the more I research it the more conflicting things I discover!
Regards
Shepslady

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.