Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

a friends medical question

Wikiposts

a friends medical question

Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a friends medical question

Originally Posted by atandy
Umm she told me she filed AOS through an attorney before her VWP was up. she was told to submit everything she had on her. She went for a holiday so her british passport is all she had with her.

well I don't know much about u.s immgration BUT was asking a question about the herpes virus and medical grounds of inadmissability.

Its giving me a headache researching on this topic for her.
I don't blame you, I'd have a headache too, if I were trying to help a friend regarding something I knew nothing about (in this case, US Immigration).

I suppose what her lawyer did is file the AOS without the medical to get it filed before her 90 days was up. In that case, she'll be receiving an RFE (Request for Further Evidence) for her medical.

I know you're trying to be a helpful friend...but...she speaks English. Her USC husband most likely speaks English. She has a lawyer working on her case. Why are you researching all this? Shouldn't she, her husband, or her lawyer be doing that?

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

BUT where does herpes as an STD fall into these categories.

Again this is to help my friend, its not me
I totally agree with Rene; you may do your friend more harm than help with your research. Please invite her to join and post here. If she has a problem asking the questions herself you may refer her to me as Moderator and I will see that her posts are put up verbatim and anonymously.

Herpes is not checked for in the medical exam and is not one of the things that makes her inadmissible.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

atandy is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you moderators and for everyone that has replied to the post.
My friend is ALWAYS STRESSING!!

And because I do alot of Googling because I like to Google I came across this site which is very good and helpful with any immgration concerns.

I will tell her of this great site and tell her to join!

thank you all again
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

I am not surprised you are confused, I am confused as well just trying to read about it!

Anyway I thought you originally said she has syphilis hot herpes and syphilis is checked for, I guess it is then up to the Dr to establish what state it is in and whether it is being treated.

Is herpes the same thing as syphilis? My laptop broke down earlier so I am using my dads computer at the moment and don't quite know what he would do if he got up tomorrow and saw numerous searches for herpes and syphilis
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you moderators and for everyone that has replied to the post.
My friend is ALWAYS STRESSING!!

And because I do alot of Googling because I like to Google I came across this site which is very good and helpful with any immgration concerns.

I will tell her of this great site and tell her to join!

thank you all again
Thanks Andy, you're a good friend to be looking out for her. I hope she comes to post here.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Since it is estimated that well over 50% of the US population has some form of Herpes (there are several different kinds) there really wouldn't be much point in trying to exclude people on that basis.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
I am not surprised you are confused, I am confused as well just trying to read about it!

Anyway I thought you originally said she has syphilis hot herpes and syphilis is checked for, I guess it is then up to the Dr to establish what state it is in and whether it is being treated.

Is herpes the same thing as syphilis? My laptop broke down earlier so I am using my dads computer at the moment and don't quite know what he would do if he got up tomorrow and saw numerous searches for herpes and syphilis
yorkieuk; see this is where I am confused about also.

Syphilis is an STD and so is herpes but on the list the word herpes is not there?
But we all know that herpes is a contagious vuris.

anyway I told her to join now so expect a thread from her soon

thanks all again for your responses.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
I totally agree with Rene; you may do your friend more harm than help with your research. Please invite her to join and post here. If she has a problem asking the questions herself you may refer her to me as Moderator and I will see that her posts are put up verbatim and anonymously.

Herpes is not checked for in the medical exam and is not one of the things that makes her inadmissible.
but herpes is an STD??
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:04 pm

but herpes is an STD??
Yes.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand your confusion.

Syphilis is a communicable, treatable STD.

Herpes is a separate non-curable (though treatable) STD.

If a sexual partner has one variety of cooties, they may have more than one, which is why people often get a couple of STDs at once. They aren't the same thing.

If I was your friend, I'd be more worried about getting treatment, particularly for syphilis - it has some nasty potential consequences.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by augigi
I don't understand your confusion.

Syphilis is a communicable, treatable STD.

Herpes is a separate non-curable (though treatable) STD.

If a sexual partner has one variety of cooties, they may have more than one, which is why people often get a couple of STDs at once. They aren't the same thing.

If I was your friend, I'd be more worried about getting treatment, particularly for syphilis - it has some nasty potential consequences.
my friend caught herpes through an ex of hers.
she is worried that they may find her inadmissable whilst applying for AOS.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:07 am

Here's what I can figure out from all of this:

1. Does your friend have syphilis? If not, she should be fine at the medical. If yes, she might be found inadmissable, as this seems to be on the list of things that can make someone inadmissable.

2. Does your friend have herpes? if not, she should be fine at the medical. If yes, she still should be fine at the medical because this seems not to be on the list of things that can make someone inadmissable.

Still, either way, they will find what they find at the medical...and if they find something to make her inadmissable, so be it. She can worry about it all she wants ahead of time, but it doesn't change the final result. It's not something she can "fix" by the time her medical comes around.

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

How she got it is irrelevant.

You made this clear in 5 posts... you don't have to keep repeating it.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 16th 2009 at 3:25 am.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:29 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

no she is in the u.s already and is filing AOS, the last time I heard from her she went for a holiday, and now she tells me she got married and is staying!

syphilis is basically an STD is it not? and herpes is an STD

so....?
Syphilis (bacterial disease) is curable with antibiotics. If it is not treated, you go blind, go crazy, and die! Herpes, all forms including cold sores/fever blisters, is viral and cannot be cured but the symptons can be treated. It is estimated that at least 80% of Americans carry this virus for herpes simplex I. I really do not know if you are screened for this and if you are how simplex I could be distinguished from simplex II (genital herpes).

FYI: My Euro history professor liked to tell the famous story about Henry VIII and syphilis. He believed Henry contract it which killed his male (Y) sperm leaving only the hardiest female (X) sperm to impregnate her. This is probably why he had troubled fathering a male offspring when he did manage to impregnate his later wives.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Jan 16th 2009 at 3:46 am.