Reload this Page >

a friends medical question

Wikiposts

a friends medical question

Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

atandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a friends medical question

A question was asked from my friend, who is in the process of AOS (after marrying her USC husband).

Syphilis e.g. herpes etc is a disease.

she is afraid she will be denied because of this

any advise from you guys I can pass on to her please?

thanks
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a friends medical question

Originally Posted by atandy
she is afraid she will be denied because of this
Syphilis is highly contagious but curable, she should see her doctor immediately. If she has genital herpes, there is no cure for it and it is also contagious. There are other strains of herpes which are also contagious and for which there is no cure. If she has any of them, then yes, she *might* be denied as a result.

Normally, this isn't the sort of thing women discuss with their male friends, but hey... this is the 21st century.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Syphilis is highly contagious but curable, she should see her doctor immediately. If she has genital herpes, there is no cure for it and it is also contagious. There are other strains of herpes which are also contagious and for which there is no cure. If she has any of them, then yes, she *might* be denied as a result.

Normally, this isn't the sort of thing women discuss with their male friends, but hey... this is the 21st century.

Ian
wow that was like super-fast!!!

has there been ayone on the forum worried they might be denied because they have Herpes?

Its a virus and is not curable.

Would she need to fill in a medical waiver, or is this NOT applicable for her.

thanks for the response Ian.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Is syphilis one of the things they screen for at the medical? I know sometimes (i.e when you give blood) they screen automatically for HIV, syphilis and hepatitis but for the visas I just thought they screen for HIV?!

Did she go thought the medical in London before AOS in the US because I know one of the questions on the medical questionnaire that you have to sign is the disclosure of any sexually transmitted diseases...
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Is syphilis one of the things they screen for at the medical? I know sometimes (i.e when you give blood) they screen automatically for HIV, syphilis and hepatitis but for the visas I just thought they screen for HIV?!

Did she go thought the medical in London before AOS in the US because I know one of the questions on the medical questionnaire that you have to sign is the disclosure of any sexually transmitted diseases...
no she is in the u.s already and is filing AOS, the last time I heard from her she went for a holiday, and now she tells me she got married and is staying!

syphilis is basically an STD is it not? and herpes is an STD

so....?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Well i guess if she stayed then she will have to undergo a full medical when she does the AOS apparently this includes a test for syphilis:

Civil Surgeon Medical Exam
The civil surgeon will record the results on Form I-693. For applicants required to have the entire medical exam, all of the following are required:

Physical Examination: A physical examination (to include complete disrobing) and a mental status evaluation are required, regardless of age.
Tuberculin (TB) Skin Test: Applicants age 2 and older are required to have a tuberculin skin test (TST). Civil surgeons may require an applicant who is less than 2 years of age to have a TST if he or she has a history of contact with a known TB case, or if there is any other reason to suspect TB disease. After the skin test, you will need to return to the civil surgeon in 48 to 72 hours to have the results read. If you have a reaction of 4 millimeters or less, you will not need any further tests for TB. A chest X-ray is required when the reaction to the TST is 5 millimeters or more. The civil surgeon will explain these medical requirements to you in more detail.
Serologic (Blood) Test: Applicants 15 years of age and older are required to have serologic (blood) tests for HIV and for syphilis. Civil surgeons can require applicants under age 15 to be tested for HIV or syphilis if there is reason to suspect the possibility of infection. Civil surgeons are required to provide pre-test counseling to all applicants who take the HIV test. If you are found to have HIV infection, the civil surgeon must provide you with post-test counseling.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693.pdf

The above form indicates that syphilis is regarded as a class A or B condition depending on whether or not it has been treated...

Last edited by yorkieuk; Jan 15th 2009 at 11:38 am. Reason: added link
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

syphilis is basically an STD is it not? and herpes is an STD...
HIV is also an STD. Conclusion... there are degrees of *bad*. Syphilis is curable. Herpes and HIV are not. There's a *BIG* difference!

now she tells me she got married and is staying!
This tidbit of information is just as interesting.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for looking that up, yorkieuk!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Look at
http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/ad...amination.html

At the bottom of this page it describes the 4 conditions of 'medical grounds of inadmissibility'... syphilis is under the first one which is 'communicable disease of public health significance'....

However I would read it all as it seems that a waiver could be granted if it can treated etc
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Well i guess if she stayed then she will have to undergo a full medical when she does the AOS apparently this includes a test for syphilis:

Civil Surgeon Medical Exam
The civil surgeon will record the results on Form I-693. For applicants required to have the entire medical exam, all of the following are required:

Physical Examination: A physical examination (to include complete disrobing) and a mental status evaluation are required, regardless of age.
Tuberculin (TB) Skin Test: Applicants age 2 and older are required to have a tuberculin skin test (TST). Civil surgeons may require an applicant who is less than 2 years of age to have a TST if he or she has a history of contact with a known TB case, or if there is any other reason to suspect TB disease. After the skin test, you will need to return to the civil surgeon in 48 to 72 hours to have the results read. If you have a reaction of 4 millimeters or less, you will not need any further tests for TB. A chest X-ray is required when the reaction to the TST is 5 millimeters or more. The civil surgeon will explain these medical requirements to you in more detail.
Serologic (Blood) Test: Applicants 15 years of age and older are required to have serologic (blood) tests for HIV and for syphilis. Civil surgeons can require applicants under age 15 to be tested for HIV or syphilis if there is reason to suspect the possibility of infection. Civil surgeons are required to provide pre-test counseling to all applicants who take the HIV test. If you are found to have HIV infection, the civil surgeon must provide you with post-test counseling.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693.pdf

The above form indicates that syphilis is regarded as a class A or B condition depending on whether or not it has been treated...
yes she is waiting for her medical request.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

HIV is also an STD. Conclusion... there are degrees of *bad*. Syphilis is curable. Herpes and HIV are not. There's a *BIG* difference!

This tidbit of information is just as interesting.

Ian
yes, well i guess, she fell in love. I was just surprised to hear that from her. But whatever makes her happy I guess!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

I was just surprised to hear that from her. But whatever makes her happy I guess!
What makes this interesting is not what you think... but revolves around *how* she entered the US. For example... it is illegal to enter the US with the intent to stay and adjust your status unless you have a proper visa that allows you to do that. So, if "she got married and is staying", she might be in for a rude awakening - far more rude than a medical examination.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

yes she is waiting for her medical request.
Waiting for her medical request? With an AOS, there is no medical request. It's up to her to get the medical done on her own, by a USCIS approved doctor, and include it with her AOS package. She wont' be notified to go get a medical, if that's what she's waiting for.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

What makes this interesting is not what you think... but revolves around *how* she entered the US. For example... it is illegal to enter the US with the intent to stay and adjust your status unless you have a proper visa that allows you to do that. So, if "she got married and is staying", she might be in for a rude awakening - far more rude than a medical examination.

Ian
hello again Ian and thanks for your response.
I know for a fact that she was single and wasn't dating anyone before she left for a holiday in Florida!

So I was very surprised and shocked to learn how she met fell in love and now she tells me she filing for AOS.

umm shes british, she didn't need a visa to enter the u.s
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Waiting for her medical request? With an AOS, there is no medical request. It's up to her to get the medical done on her own, by a USCIS approved doctor, and include it with her AOS package. She wont' be notified to go get a medical, if that's what she's waiting for.

Rene
Umm she told me she filed AOS through an attorney before her VWP was up. she was told to submit everything she had on her. She went for a holiday so her british passport is all she had with her.

well I don't know much about u.s immgration BUT was asking a question about the herpes virus and medical grounds of inadmissability.

Its giving me a headache researching on this topic for her.

A communicable disease of public health significance? is defined in
the HHS regulations that cover the required medical exam for
immigration purposes and includes the following 9 infectious medical
conditions:

severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)
tuberculosis (TB)
leprosy
human immunodeficiency virus (HIV/AIDS)
syphilis (infectious state)
chancroid (STD, similar to syphilis and herpes)
gonorrhea
granuloma inguinale (STD, donovanosis)
lymphogranuloma (STD, chlamydia)

BUT where does herpes as an STD fall into these categories.

Again this is to help my friend, its not me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.