Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Which form to send in 90 days before green card expires?

Wikiposts

Which form to send in 90 days before green card expires?

Old Jun 16th 2002, 6:20 am
jacks

Default Which form to send in 90 days before green card expires?

When we had our interview they told us "Make sure you file form I-751 within 90 days
before the Permanent Resident card expires (in 2 years). But when the actual card
came in the mail, it says on the back of the paper that came with it:

"If you are a permanent resident, the expiration date does not affect your
status, but you should use Form I-90 to apply for a new card 90 days before this
card expires."

So which is it? Do we file the Form I-90 as it says on the paper that came with a
card, or the I-751 as the agent told us? Or both?

Also, the agent told us that if we don't file the I-751 within 90 days before the
card expires in 2004, we have to start the whole process of applying for AOS over
again! Is that true, or was he just scaring us into making sure we file it before
expiration?

Old Jun 16th 2002, 7:20 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Which form to send in 90 days before green card expires?

[email protected] wrote:
    >
    > When we had our interview they told us "Make sure you file form I-751 within 90
    > days before the Permanent Resident card expires (in 2 years). But when the actual
    > card came in the mail, it says on the back of the paper that came with it:
    >
    > "If you are a permanent resident, the expiration date does not affect your status,
    > but you should use Form I-90 to apply for a new card 90 days before this card
    > expires."
    >
    > So which is it? Do we file the Form I-90 as it says on the paper that came with a
    > card, or the I-751 as the agent told us? Or both?

You file I-751... If you were a permanent (not conditional) permanent resident, it is
telling you that your green card gets renewed by filing I-90. It also tells you that
your status doesn't expire just the card. This is NOT true in your case... Until a
few years ago, the card never expired. Once you become a normal Permananent Resident,
you don't have to renew your status, just the card.

>
    > Also, the agent told us that if we don't file the I-751 within 90 days before the
    > card expires in 2004, we have to start the whole process of applying for AOS over
    > again! Is that true, or was he just scaring us into making sure we file it before
    > expiration?

You have to file I-751 before the green card expires, not 90 days before. 90 days
before is the earliest you can file I-751, not the latest. If you fail to file it by
the expiration date, you are no longer a resident.

Old Jun 16th 2002, 7:20 am
Mrs_blackross

If your AOS was approved less than two years after getting married, you are a
*conditional* permanent resident and your status DOES expire when the card does. If
you don't file the I-751 within 90 days before the second anniversary of your AOS
approval, you are out of status and deportable. The instructions on the papers that
came with the card are generic and are for those with the 10 year unconditional card
whose status is not dependant on remaining married to their USC spouse.

Do what the agent told you to do, he was not just trying to scare you. As a
conditional resident, you need to file the I-751, NOT the I-90.

. <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > When we had our interview they told us "Make sure you file form I-751 within 90
    > days before the Permanent Resident card expires (in 2 years). But when the actual
    > card came in the mail, it says on the back of the paper that came with it:
    >
    > "If you are a permanent resident, the expiration date does not affect your status,
    > but you should use Form I-90 to apply for a new card 90 days before this card
    > expires."
    >
    > So which is it? Do we file the Form I-90 as it says on the paper that came with a
    > card, or the I-751 as the agent told us? Or both?
    >
    > Also, the agent told us that if we don't file the I-751 within 90 days before the
    > card expires in 2004, we have to start the whole process of applying for AOS over
    > again! Is that true, or was he just scaring us into making sure we file it before
    > expiration?

Old Jun 16th 2002, 10:20 am
jacks

Thanks for clarifying!