Form N-400

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 4:35 pm
Martin

Default Form N-400

I am applying for citizenship and everything seems pretty straight forward except for
two issues I need some help with regarding form N-400;

1) Section D, Good Moral Character; do the questions regarding arrest/charges relate
only to felony charges or should misdemeanour, infractions be listed?

2) Part 10, B, Affiliations; does the INS really want to know about membership of
golf clubs, or political parties? Should I list such organizations as Campaign
for Nuclear Disarmament?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 1:33 am
Razorback Fan

Default Re: Form N-400

"Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] m...
    > I am applying for citizenship and everything seems pretty straight forward except
    > for two issues I need some help with regarding form N-400;
    > 1) Section D, Good Moral Character; do the questions regarding arrest/charges
    > relate only to felony charges or should misdemeanour, infractions be listed?

I always look at this issue this way - you are the applicant, let the INS decide
what's a felony and what's a misdemeanor (in fact there are several instances of
charges that INS considers to be felonies although they are technically
"misdemeanors" per the court system. E.g., a DUI charge where the jail sentence was a
year or more may be classified as a misdemeanor but INS may treat that as a felony).
To cut the long story short, you must report ALL charges. I have heard instances
where a person did not report a misdemeanor and INS rejected their case for
withholding evidence. So my suggestion would be to report ALL charges.

> 2) Part 10, B, Affiliations; does the INS really want to know about membership of
    > golf clubs, or political parties? Should I list such organizations as Campaign
    > for Nuclear Disarmament?

Again, I would err on the side of reporting too much than not enough. The campaign
for nuclear disarmament you should list for sure. If you list golf clubs, etc. it
won't in any way hurt your chances. In fact it may convey to INS that you are serious
about reporting all memberships and that may look good.

Hope this helps.

Razorback

> Thanks in advance for any input.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 8:25 am
Chong

Default Re: Form N-400

On mine, I put everything NO.

I got everything done and waiting for my interview in Oct.

On 3 Sep 2002 21:35:39 -0700, [email protected] (Martin) wrote:

>I am applying for citizenship and everything seems pretty straight forward except
    >for two issues I need some help with regarding form N-400;
    >1) Section D, Good Moral Character; do the questions regarding arrest/charges relate
    > only to felony charges or should misdemeanour, infractions be listed?
    >2) Part 10, B, Affiliations; does the INS really want to know about membership of
    > golf clubs, or political parties? Should I list such organizations as Campaign
    > for Nuclear Disarmament?
    >Thanks in advance for any input.