Wikiposts

forgot biometrics fee

Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

rtg20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default forgot biometrics fee

Hello,

I'm present in the US on a J1 visa (not subject to the 2 year thing) and recently married a US citizen (we met long after I applied for the visa). For a green card I filed I-130, I-765, I-864, I-485, G-325 and I-693 to the Chicago lockbox...and afterwards I realised I forgot to include the $70 biometrics fee for I-485!!

I have been advised not to send the check now but to wait, and to expect USCIS to accept my application anyway and send me a bill for $70.

Does anyone have experience of this? Will it delay my EAD? Will they sit on everything until after July 30th and then make me re-file at the higher rates?

Thanks,

Richard
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: forgot biometrics fee

Originally Posted by rtg20
Hello,

I'm present in the US on a J1 visa (not subject to the 2 year thing) and recently married a US citizen (we met long after I applied for the visa). For a green card I filed I-130, I-765, I-864, I-485, G-325 and I-693 to the Chicago lockbox...and afterwards I realised I forgot to include the $70 biometrics fee for I-485!!

I have been advised not to send the check now but to wait, and to expect USCIS to accept my application anyway and send me a bill for $70.

Does anyone have experience of this? Will it delay my EAD? Will they sit on everything until after July 30th and then make me re-file at the higher rates?

Thanks,

Richard
Yes, you'll receive an RFE for the missing biometrics fee. Yes, it will delay your EAD, because you need a properly filed I-485 in order to receive an EAD. The I-485 won't be properly filed until all the fees are paid.

There's no way of predicting when you will get the RFE or how much they will ask you to pay. I assume it will be just the $70 you missed paying, since your postmark on the package was prior to July 30. But if they ask for more, just pay it...it's not worth arguing over. They will win.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, you'll receive an RFE for the missing biometrics fee. Yes, it will delay your EAD, because you need a properly filed I-485 in order to receive an EAD. The I-485 won't be properly filed until all the fees are paid.

There's no way of predicting when you will get the RFE or how much they will ask you to pay. I assume it will be just the $70 you missed paying, since your postmark on the package was prior to July 30. But if they ask for more, just pay it...it's not worth arguing over. They will win.

Best Wishes,
Rene
thanks for your reply!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your reply!

They could also turn around and not accept your filing and return the entire package to you enmass. If this occurs then you have to refile and refile with the increased fees if it is after July 29th.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
They could also turn around and not accept your filing and return the entire package to you enmass. If this occurs then you have to refile and refile with the increased fees if it is after July 29th.
argh!! which do you think is more likely?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

argh!! which do you think is more likely?
Since there are only two possible outcomes, RFE or resubmit, your chances are 50/50.

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since there are only two possible outcomes, RFE or resubmit, your chances are 50/50.

Ian
Err...no, not unless the USCIS decide how to deal with people like me by flipping a coin!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Err...no, not unless the USCIS decide how to deal with people like me by flipping a coin!
Okay... I'll play along... what other possible outcomes are there? I see two outcomes... either they send you an RFE for the missing money, or they return your application as incomplete and ask you to resubmit it. Since one is as likely as the other, the chances of either one happening are 50/50.

But no, you say... one is *not* as likely as the other. Perhaps you think that an RFE is more likely to happen than being asked to resubmit (after all, that'd certainly make you feel better)... so you might think that the outcome is more like 70/30... but you'd be wrong. Why? Because the outcome is not based on your intuition that one should happen and the other should not.

At any rate, once you hear from USCIS... one way or the other you'll have your answer.

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

They sent me an NOA asking for the extra $70. :-)

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Okay... I'll play along... what other possible outcomes are there? I see two outcomes... either they send you an RFE for the missing money, or they return your application as incomplete and ask you to resubmit it. Since one is as likely as the other, the chances of either one happening are 50/50.

But no, you say... one is *not* as likely as the other. Perhaps you think that an RFE is more likely to happen than being asked to resubmit (after all, that'd certainly make you feel better)... so you might think that the outcome is more like 70/30... but you'd be wrong. Why? Because the outcome is not based on your intuition that one should happen and the other should not.

At any rate, once you hear from USCIS... one way or the other you'll have your answer.

Ian
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:11 am
Account Closed

They sent me an NOA asking for the extra $70. :-)
Excellent! See... no worries.

Ian