Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Foreign Marriage Certificate.

Wikiposts

Foreign Marriage Certificate.

Old Jul 15th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foreign Marriage Certificate.

Hello Everyone,

As I have mentioned before I recently got married to my fiance in India. We had a nightmare of a time getting a marriage certificate as one of the court officials was complaining that I wasn't from India, I'm a UK citizen. Finally we did get one though we had to go to a higher court.

I've been getting everything together for a spousal visa application.

So here's the problem. There's a box on the marriage certificate that says status when married and the options are, unmarried, divorcee, widow, widower. In both columns one mine and one my wifes it says unmarried. This is wrong as I have been married before and I do have the decree absolute.

Currently we live in the US but eventually will be returning back to the UK. Will this cause a problem, when we return to the UK with immigration, etc? Looking on the UK Visa website it does ask for current marriage certificate and decree absolutes from previous marriages. I have those but I am worried specifically about the status box saying that I'm unmarried.

It'll be near on impossible to go back to India and get it corrected. I'm trying to save money as when we go back to the UK, I can show funds that we won't be relying on the social.

Is this a problem? Should I run to Las Vegas and get married again and use that marriage certificate?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all
Default Re: Foreign Marriage Certificate.

I would call your local UK consulate and ask them or ring immigration direct. I assume this was a mistake made by the Indian officals? Now you have it would it be an isssue to get it changed by an Indian embassy or consulate here in the US?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Foreign Marriage Certificate.

Take a quick vacation to Las Vegas or Reno, get married again and get a corrected marriage certificate

(Not an official advice)

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
Hello Everyone,

As I have mentioned before I recently got married to my fiance in India. We had a nightmare of a time getting a marriage certificate as one of the court officials was complaining that I wasn't from India, I'm a UK citizen. Finally we did get one though we had to go to a higher court.

I've been getting everything together for a spousal visa application.

So here's the problem. There's a box on the marriage certificate that says status when married and the options are, unmarried, divorcee, widow, widower. In both columns one mine and one my wifes it says unmarried. This is wrong as I have been married before and I do have the decree absolute.

Currently we live in the US but eventually will be returning back to the UK. Will this cause a problem, when we return to the UK with immigration, etc? Looking on the UK Visa website it does ask for current marriage certificate and decree absolutes from previous marriages. I have those but I am worried specifically about the status box saying that I'm unmarried.

It'll be near on impossible to go back to India and get it corrected. I'm trying to save money as when we go back to the UK, I can show funds that we won't be relying on the social.

Is this a problem? Should I run to Las Vegas and get married again and use that marriage certificate?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.