Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Forced to move back for love - advice?

Wikiposts

Forced to move back for love - advice?

Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

arabian77 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forced to move back for love - advice?

Hi gpatb36,

My sister had a long distance relationship with her hubby for 2 years, whilst he was in the States and she in the UK, she flew out a couple of times a year to visit and he flew out to visit her also. It worked as they obviously got married and she moved there to be with him. I believe she would have kept the relationship going long distance even if she had to wait 4 years. As he was 'the one'.

I'm sure if this is the case for you and your gf, then your relationship will survive the distance.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gpatb36
Two issues - I was out of the US for a year (with a re-entry permit - came back and forth every 4-6 weeks or so but believe I 'broke' residency and so am 4 years away from eligibility for citizenship) and given that, not sure a NY/UK relationship for 4 years is going to work, realistically.
You can't get much closer than NY/UK.. plenty of people do weekend trips back/forth easily.

You really should post your immigration situation on the US Immigration forum here for more definitive information about your naturalization eligibility. If you were returning, the re-entry permit doesn't automatically make you 'out' for a year.

Based on everything you said in your first post, giving up the US would probably not be your best move.

Originally Posted by jaxslad
ps..if you want to know the links for the us immigration sites pm me anytime and ill send them to you..
I'd be interested in the links; will you please PM them to me?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:56 am
LCT
Forum Regular

LCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud of

Speaking as someone who moved to the other side of the world because it was what a partner wanted ...

... my advice is that you should not move anywhere for someone else. If you do it you have to do it for yourself.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
You can't get much closer than NY/UK.. plenty of people do weekend trips back/forth easily.

You really should post your immigration situation on the US Immigration forum here for more definitive information about your naturalization eligibility. If you were returning, the re-entry permit doesn't automatically make you 'out' for a year.

Based on everything you said in your first post, giving up the US would probably not be your best move.

pm sent
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna

Hi meauxna,

sorry i posted you a pm but also thought i was posting to the topic member gpatb36
but anyways....im sure you very well know the links huh? lol..

Please forgive me stress levels is well up, and sleep well down...after xmas and all that good/bad stuff..

ill shut up now and hit the sack..finally.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxslad
Hi meauxna,

sorry i posted you a pm but also thought i was posting to the topic member gpatb36
but anyways....im sure you very well know the links huh? lol..

Please forgive me stress levels is well up, and sleep well down...after xmas and all that good/bad stuff..

ill shut up now and hit the sack..finally.
That's OK... I suggest if you need immigration info in the future that you check out our forums here at britishexpats instead of the 2 you recommended.
I've used and contributed to them all over the past 8 years, & that's just my opinion. Quality over quantity.

Happy New Year!