Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Fliling with the DHS in London must I stay present in the UK, while my wife waits?

Wikiposts

Fliling with the DHS in London must I stay present in the UK, while my wife waits?

Old May 23rd 2004, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

infotec28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fliling with the DHS in London must I stay present in the UK, while my wife waits?

Hi,

I (US citizen) am probably going to file the I-130 for my wife (UK Citizen) with the DHS in London. We are both currently residing in the UK. If approved, her entry is apparently only good for 6 months. I would like to increase our chances of success in the United States by filing the I-130 with the DHS here in London then moving in with a friend in the United States and trying to look for work. That way, we will have a place to move into and I will have a job to work at and a home to come back to in the U.S.

Can I do this?

Thanks

BTW I do have a leave to remain stamp in my passport

Last edited by infotec28; May 23rd 2004 at 9:00 pm.
Old May 24th 2004, 12:22 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fliling with the DHS in London must I stay present in the UK, while my wife waits?

i belive you are planning to do what my wife and me are going to do - we filed our I-130 about 4 weeks ago, (wife us cit me uk cit both in uk), she ius going to go back early to get a job/place to live - fly back for the london interview so we have a place sorted, - in other words yes u can do this, as as far as i am aware, when your wife goes into us (within the 6 month period) you do not have to be present provided she has all the paperwork with her, im sure i will be corrected if this is not the case

Ant

Originally posted by infotec28
Hi,

I (US citizen) am probably going to file the I-130 for my wife (UK Citizen) with the DHS in London. We are both currently residing in the UK. If approved, her entry is apparently only good for 6 months. I would like to increase our chances of success in the United States by filing the I-130 with the DHS here in London then moving in with a friend in the United States and trying to look for work. That way, we will have a place to move into and I will have a job to work at and a home to come back to in the U.S.

Can I do this?

Thanks

Old May 24th 2004, 4:31 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fliling with the DHS in London must I stay present in the UK, while my wife waits?

Hi,

Can I do this?

Thanks

I'm really no expert on DCF. But from the little knowledge I have, I do know that some countries only require you to be present when you file DCF. I'm not sure about London. The first thing to find out is if the circumstances of your "leave to remain" make you eligible to file DCF at this point. Does it require a minimum period of presence in the UK before you are eligible to file??
Apart from that, there is nothing to prevent you from returning to the US to find a job. As long as you return to London for your interview, if that's required. Hopefully not.
Sorry to be so vague. Hopefully my post will bump up your post in the hope that someone with more knowledge about DCF in London will reply.
Ranjini
Old May 25th 2004, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

infotec28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ranjini
I'm really no expert on DCF. But from the little knowledge I have, I do know that some countries only require you to be present when you file DCF. I'm not sure about London. The first thing to find out is if the circumstances of your "leave to remain" make you eligible to file DCF at this point. Does it require a minimum period of presence in the UK before you are eligible to file??
Apart from that, there is nothing to prevent you from returning to the US to find a job. As long as you return to London for your interview, if that's required. Hopefully not.
Sorry to be so vague. Hopefully my post will bump up your post in the hope that someone with more knowledge about DCF in London will reply.
Ranjini
I wanted to take a moment of time to extend a personal thanks towards both of you
Old May 25th 2004, 9:09 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I wanted to take a moment of time to extend a personal thanks towards both of you
So what have you found out? The information has to be out there in the archives. Or probably lost when Alvena's website closed down. Bugger
Old May 25th 2004, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can I do this?

Thanks

Hi there
We filed I130 (DCF London) 2 weeks ago. Over the past months I've read pages and pages of archives and remember reading that it is not necessary for the US partner to be in the UK once the petition has been filed, or to be present at the interview. I now cannot find the source of this information, but I'm sure it's there somewhere! In our case, my US husband will make a trip back to the US to check on things at his property there, but hopes to be back for the interview.....if for any reason he can't get here in time I shall "play a lone hand" !
Good luck.