Wikiposts

flights

Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of
Default flights

Hello again..

I'm still planning on arriving in the States next month (K1 visa in hand with a little luck)...... I've been looking at airfares and it's much cheaper for me to buy a return ticket that a single. Would it be possible for me to buy a return ticket and just cancel the return flight or is this frowned upon?

ta,

Paul
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights

Frowned upon by whom? Depends on your airline, and the fare conditions - often once you've done one leg of a return, you can't get a refund on the other leg.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojofilter
Hello again..

I'm still planning on arriving in the States next month (K1 visa in hand with a little luck)...... I've been looking at airfares and it's much cheaper for me to buy a return ticket that a single. Would it be possible for me to buy a return ticket and just cancel the return flight or is this frowned upon?

ta,

Paul
Nope, matters not & cheaper is better. And if your ticket is one that can be adjusted, you may be able to use the 'return' part for another trip later.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

Cool, I won't be able to adjust the return part but it's still $300 cheaper than buying a one-way ticket :-)

Originally Posted by meauxna
Nope, matters not & cheaper is better. And if your ticket is one that can be adjusted, you may be able to use the 'return' part for another trip later.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again..

ta,

Paul
Hi:

Once you miss a leg of the ticketed trip, a no change ticket is cancelled and forfeited.

This is a common state of affairs. BTW, quite often an LPR living abroad will buy that round trip ticket because it is cheaper. This is the thing that causes CBP to wonder about abandonment.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Bsimmer3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is called ticket throwing. Most airlines dont allow it but as long as your catching the outgoing flight then you wont get caught. They do this because if you fly somewhere on a single you could return on another airline. You buy a return you fill their aircraft.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Hello again..

ta,

Paul
I've just done this very same thing. A return ticket was £200 cheaper than a one way, so i booked the return for three months down the road. If it never gets used then so be it, i've still saved £200.

Surely it's nonsense ticket pricing like this, and the like, that perpetuates the ridiculous over-booking of flights:curse:

Oh well, open skies comes into affect shortly so at least ticket prices may start coming down soon.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Me, my wife and child all came over on return tickets cos it was cheaper. All really stupid, especially since our cat was coming on the same flight and was very much coming with one-way arrangements!

I could just about understand a return ticket costing the same as a one-way, but it being more makes no sense at all. Just encourages people like me to have seats booked on a flight I have no intention of getting on.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:26 am
Just Joined

Bsimmer3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont know if any off you know but there's a program called Yapta http://www.yapta.com and you can tell it to keep an eye on a flights you are looking at and it will e-mail you when the flight goes up or down in price. I find that a lot of Gatwick to US flights can double and triple in a matter of days but then drop again as quick. 2 days ago a return flight to philidelphia from UK was $384 yes $ and that was with the tax and a connecting flight to where i was heading.

Very easy to use program and works with some major US airlines.