Reload this Page >

First time us to uk marriage need advice

Wikiposts

First time us to uk marriage need advice

Old Sep 27th 2005, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

poomafinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Question First time us to uk marriage need advice

I am a US born citizen living in the united states. My wife to be lives in the UK. Im flying there for a visit in early December. She is flying back to the US with me for 2 weeks before she returns home to the UK
We want to marry in September 2006 and live our lives together in the US.
Can anyone give me a list of steps that we need to take to make this all happen? I am new to all of this.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time us to uk marriage need advice

Originally Posted by poomafinger
I am a US born citizen living in the united states. My wife to be lives in the UK. Im flying there for a visit in early December. She is flying back to the US with me for 2 weeks before she returns home to the UK
We want to marry in September 2006 and live our lives together in the US.
Can anyone give me a list of steps that we need to take to make this all happen? I am new to all of this.
Start by reading www.uscis.gov "how do I bring my fiance(e) to the USA" and "How do I bring my spouse to the USA". You can either bring her as a fiance or a spouse. Spouse has some advantages if she goes for the CR-1 visa, that way there's no more paperwork in the USA, she gets her green card shortly after arrival, and can work upon arrival.

Also check out the FAQs at www.visajourney.com.

You've got a year to plan it all, so good luck and happy reading! Come on back with questions if there's something you don't understand.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:09 am
Just Joined

poomafinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: First time us to uk marriage need advice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Start by reading www.uscis.gov "how do I bring my fiance(e) to the USA" and "How do I bring my spouse to the USA". You can either bring her as a fiance or a spouse. Spouse has some advantages if she goes for the CR-1 visa, that way there's no more paperwork in the USA, she gets her green card shortly after arrival, and can work upon arrival.

Also check out the FAQs at www.visajourney.com.

You've got a year to plan it all, so good luck and happy reading! Come on back with questions if there's something you don't understand.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hey Rene,
Thanks for your input. I havent been able to find any info on the cr-1 visa.
Are you saying that if she comes here next year and we get married, that she can stay here and that we would just need to file this cr-1 visa?
Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated.
Joel :]
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poomafinger
Hey Rene,
Thanks for your input. I havent been able to find any info on the cr-1 visa.
Are you saying that if she comes here next year and we get married, that she can stay here and that we would just need to file this cr-1 visa?
Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated.
Joel :]
Hi Joel,

No, what I'm saying is that when you get married next year (either in the UK or USA...not sure which you have in mind), then after you're married you can file an I-130 in the USA. When that gets approved, she will get some paperwork in the UK for her IV (Immigrant Visa) application. She will fill that in, have a medical done, and go to her visa interview. If she's approved, she'll receive a visa called CR-1 (Conditional Resident). Then she can come to the USA as your spouse, and will get her green card in the mail shortly after her arrival.

Hope that's a little more clear. It's all spelled out in www.uscis.gov "how do I bring my spouse to the USA?".....which I assume you haven't read yet.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 28th 2005, 3:45 am

Also read: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv/immrel.html

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2005, 4:59 am
Utah_Bound

You'll be better filing a CR-1 visa and when you get married getting a
temporary leave to remain visa for the UK (You'll get that on the same day
you apply in person at the UK Embassy in the USA) so at least you'll be able
to spend time with your wife in the UK while going through the visa process.
Timelines for the CR-1 are approx 9 months to a year. You could always try
the K3 route or even the K1 route if your already married as these timelines
seem to be at the moment slightly quicker.