Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

First post at marriage forum

Wikiposts

First post at marriage forum

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:03 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First post.

Originally Posted by GRF58
Thank you, so very helpful. I suppose I will do it myself as I did all of my Biritish paperwork myself. I had found and printed an I-130 some time ago. Do we have to go to the US Embassy in London in person or can we send it in?
Good guide to "DCF" here.

You can mail the application in. Your spouse will have to visit London for a medical and interview later down the line.

If the form was downloaded some time ago, check that it is current. Latest forms available (usually!) @ uscis.gov.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First post at marriage forum

A helpful chap at the other forum said it should take about 8-10 months all in.
Go with the 6.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Go with the 6.
Definitely possible if you get all your documents in order.

Your wife will need the "long form" UK birth certificate.

Also, you will need to obtain any divorce decrees and related marriage certificates, if either of you were married before.

Certified copies of British documents can be obtained from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

This part of the Embassy's website is the place to start, if you haven't already:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...iv/immrel.html
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Oh are we allowed to post duplicates then?

ENOUGH!

YOU ARE LIKE A BULLDOG WITH A BONE. LET GO. I'VE MERGED THE POSTS.

IN THE FUTURE REPORT THE DUPLICATE POST TO A MODERATOR TO HANDLE.

RETE
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to/clarify points in this thread:

1) DCF via London for an IR-1 visa is currently taking approx 5 months only.

2) The police report is valid for 6 months as far as the British police are concerned - but the US Embassy will accept a police report dated less than 12 months old.

3) As for the I-130 form it has been updated recently and is now valid until 2011 - get it from uscis.gov.

4) I completed the exact same process recently that your wife will need to go through - interview experience and timeline here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544218
Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

GRF58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all, I'm looking forward to the process. My wife would like to begin in January after the holidays. A day or two in London sounds good to me (we live in Manchester). I've been to the U.S. Embassy on two other occasions and have been treated quite respectfully.

I don't see a pet related forum. Can anyone tell me about bringing a cat into the U.S. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Last edited by GRF58; Jul 4th 2008 at 2:47 am. Reason: addition
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:06 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all, I'm looking forward to the process. My wife would like to begin in January after the holidays. A day or two in London sounds good to me (we live in Manchester). I've been to the U.S. Embassy on two other occasions and have been treated quite respectfully.

I don't see a pet related forum. Can anyone tell me about bringing a cat into the U.S. Has anyone done this? Thanks.
You can search and then if need be, ask in here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

GRF58 is an unknown quantity at this point

She should also get her police report done. The link for that is at the top of this Marriage-Based Forum.
I'm sorry, where is the link for the police report?
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:49 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, where is the link for the police report?
It's the one at the top of the page that says "Read Me".

There is a ton of stuff in the wiki here too (very top of the page links).