Reload this Page >

Financial Requirements for a K-1 Sponsor

Wikiposts

Financial Requirements for a K-1 Sponsor

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:06 am
Just Joined

JontyCarlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Requirements for a K-1 Sponsor

I was wondering if any one could help me with some information about the Financial requirements of my Fiancee.

She is a U.S citizen i am a British citizen. We plan to marry in the U.S and stay out there, so we are going to go throught the K-1 visa process. It says the requiement is $16,500.

Does anyone know what evidence she has to produce to back up she meets the requirements? Pay slips? tax returns? Recent documents? Or, documents dating back a few years?

Also, if she doesnt meet the requirements and we need a co-sponsor, does the co-sponsor just have to make the amount up to $16,500, or do they have to earn the full amount? and does it make a difference if they have previously declared bankrupcy?

Its all so confusing!

Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:44 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Requirements for a K-1 Sponsor

Originally Posted by JontyCarlo
She is a U.S citizen i am a British citizen. We plan to marry in the U.S and stay out there, so we are going to go throught the K-1 visa process. It says the requiement is $16,500.
Where are you getting the $16,500 amount? According to the 2007 list of poverty guidelines, the 125% minimum income requirement for a household size of two people is $17,113. If your household will include more than just the two of you, and/or if your fiancee is a resident of Hawaii or Alaska, that number will be higher.

Does anyone know what evidence she has to produce to back up she meets the requirements? Pay slips? tax returns? Recent documents? Or, documents dating back a few years?
The I-134 instructions (PDF) are very clear on what supporting evidence must be provided. Have you read these instructions? Specifically, Section II. Supporting Evidence.

Also, if she doesnt meet the requirements and we need a co-sponsor, does the co-sponsor just have to make the amount up to $16,500, or do they have to earn the full amount?
I'm not sure what you mean by "full amount" -- there isn't a maximum amount, because it all depends on the household size of the sponsor, plus the alien. For example, if the co-sponsor has a spouse and a child, then their household size for sponsorship purposes is four people (co-sponsor + spouse + child + you), and their 125% minimum income requirement would be $25,813 (higher in HI or AK). The co-sponsor's household size will be at least two people (co-sponsor + you), or $17,113 income required.

Remember that the minimum income requirements are based on gross income, not net income.

and does it make a difference if they have previously declared bankrupcy?
No, it won't make a difference.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

IDoes anyone know what evidence she has to produce to back up she meets the requirements? Pay slips? tax returns? Recent documents? Or, documents dating back a few years?
For the I-134 affidavit of support, she needs to show the past 3 years of tax returns and W-2's, a letter from her current employer stating how much she earns, and a current pay stub.

When you get here and you get married she will need the same things for the I-864 affidavit of support, except only the most recent tax return and W-2.

If she is self employed, she'll have 1099's instead of W-2's to show, and some kind of proof of having her own business.

If she doesn't earn enough in income, she can use assets equaling 3x the amount she would have needed in income. Assets can be something like a house or savings in the bank.

If she's having trouble earning enough to sponsor you on the I-134, you can self sponsor if YOU can show enough in assets. In this case, there is no set amount of money, it is up to the discretion of the embassy. You can email them and say you have X amount of money, would that be enough to self-sponsor the I-134 for a K-1 visa. However, by the time you come here and file the I-864, your wife will need to earn the correct amount.

f she doesnt meet the requirements and we need a co-sponsor, does the co-sponsor just have to make the amount up to $16,500, or do they have to earn the full amount? and does it make a difference if they have previously declared bankrupcy?
If you use a joint sponsor, the joint sponsor must earn enough for their own household size, plus you. So if the joint sponsor is married with one child, they will need to earn the amount according to a household size of 4. Your wife's income doesn't come into play on the joint sponsor's affidavit of support. The joint sponsor would need to provide all the same backup (tax returns, W-2's, pay stub, letter from employer).

The poverty guidelines are at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-864P.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

and does it make a difference if they have previously declared bankrupcy?
I forgot to mention it's OK if they have previously declared bankruptcy, as long as they currently meet the financial requirements.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you use a joint sponsor, the joint sponsor must earn enough for their own household size, plus you. So if the joint sponsor is married with one child, they will need to earn the amount according to a household size of 4. Your wife's income doesn't come into play on the joint sponsor's affidavit of support. The joint sponsor would need to provide all the same backup (tax returns, W-2's, pay stub, letter from employer).
Also thought I'd add that the joint sponsor can also use assets, but the must equal 5x the amount required in income.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

JontyCarlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for your help and advice.

This is the last thing we need to figure out, before we start the process.

Again thank you, and cross all your fingers for us!!

jonty