Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Financial Aid for Conditional Permanent Residence

Wikiposts

Financial Aid for Conditional Permanent Residence

Old May 20th 2004, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Epitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to all
Default Financial Aid for Conditional Permanent Residence

Does anyone know if a conditional permanent residence can apply for financial aid? I am taking into account that my husband AOS interview is June 14, 2004 and from the experience of one of his friends, he will be issued a green card in about 3 months which will be conditional. I know that it may take San Francisco longer for my husband, but I want to know what are some of the assistance he can attain to get additional job training.

Thanks for any information provided.
Old May 21st 2004, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Epitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to all
Default Re: Financial Aid for Conditional Permanent Residence

Originally posted by Epitomee2000
Does anyone know if a conditional permanent residence can apply for financial aid? I am taking into account that my husband AOS interview is June 14, 2004 and from the experience of one of his friends, he will be issued a green card in about 3 months which will be conditional. I know that it may take San Francisco longer for my husband, but I want to know what are some of the assistance he can attain to get additional job training.

I am bumping this for anyone who has either applied or tried to apply after AOS. I think that most of the financial aid is in the form of government loans which have to be paid..Anyone with info please let me know
Old May 21st 2004, 5:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am bumping this for anyone who has either applied or tried to apply after AOS. I think that most of the financial aid is in the form of government loans which have to be paid..Anyone with info please let me know
Maybe you can clarify what you mean by "financial aid". I always think of University when I read that...
Old May 21st 2004, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by meauxna
Maybe you can clarify what you mean by "financial aid". I always think of University when I read that...
So sorry, I meant University financial aid, like student loans and pell grants. My husband wants to go to university and most schools require that he fill out a FAFSA application and I was wondering if anyone has actually filled out one after receiving a conditional green card and what were the types of loans they were able to apply for?
Old May 21st 2004, 5:17 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

The only experience I have with this sort of thing is with the community colleges. My son had to be resident of our state for a specified period (I think one year?), and have legal immigration status (his being conditional permanent resident at the time) to apply for entrance and be accepted. So when your hubby qualifies on both counts he can enter a community college. At that point, I'm sure he can apply for pretty much anything that's going as far as any other student. As for what's available as far as assistance, that's something he will have to discuss with the people at the community college. I do know that this sort of assistance is available, but not sure exactly what. Hopefully, some people on here can give you some ideas as to what sort of thing....
Old May 21st 2004, 5:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry, I meant University financial aid, like student loans and pell grants. My husband wants to go to university and most schools require that he fill out a FAFSA application and I was wondering if anyone has actually filled out one after receiving a conditional green card and what were the types of loans they were able to apply for?
There was a recent discussion that included Pell grants.
oops, found a few.
These posts include some resources:
http://tinyurl.com/36sak

http://tinyurl.com/yt3x2

http://tinyurl.com/yr8r4
Old May 21st 2004, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You could look here for further info: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ This site could tell you if your husbands' potential school qualifies for student aid, and if he qualifies. I would look it over, and if in doubt, I would actually contact the school he plans on attending to make sure that Residents qualify for student aid. I'm fairly certain that they do, but not 100% positive.

This site should let you know what types of aid are available!

Good luck!
Jamie
Old May 21st 2004, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Quyrah_RV is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes,
You can apply for Pell Grants and Student loans. Before I got my 10 yr green card I applied for a pell grant. If my memory serves me correctly I had just had applied for the I-485 so I didn't even have the conditional green card yet and got my Pell Grant. Then of course I didn't qualify as I worked more and earned more. So I've since have had student loans with no problems. Remember you still have to fill out the fafsa first and all that lovely stuff to qualify.

I'm presently attending UT in Tennessee, so go for it. Apply and get the education you need.

Best of luck

Quyrah (formerly Mtl, now TN)
RV (formerly TX, now TN)

Originally posted by meauxna
There was a recent discussion that included Pell grants.
oops, found a few.
These posts include some resources:
http://tinyurl.com/36sak

http://tinyurl.com/yt3x2

http://tinyurl.com/yr8r4
Old May 21st 2004, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Quyrah_RV
Yes,
You can apply for Pell Grants and Student loans. Before I got my 10 yr green card I applied for a pell grant. If my memory serves me correctly I had just had applied for the I-485 so I didn't even have the conditional green card yet and got my Pell Grant. Then of course I didn't qualify as I worked more and earned more. So I've since have had student loans with no problems. Remember you still have to fill out the fafsa first and all that lovely stuff to qualify.

I'm presently attending UT in Tennessee, so go for it. Apply and get the education you need.

Best of luck

Quyrah (formerly Mtl, now TN)
RV (formerly TX, now TN)
Thanks for the feedback. USC never know how difficult life can be until we marry a non-USC..whewww the paperwork
Old May 21st 2004, 7:16 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback. USC never know how difficult life can be until we marry a non-USC..whewww the paperwork
Lol And believe me, you've only started. A long ways to go before hubby becomes a citizen. My USC spouse filed only the I-129F and ever since it's been my baby.... filing the paperwork I mean. Right upto citizenship and now the citizenship of my K2 son. Tell me about it!