Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally, I 551 Stamp from Arlington

Wikiposts

Finally, I 551 Stamp from Arlington

Old May 27th 2004, 11:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally, I 551 Stamp from Arlington

Originally posted by Pete F

I presume this came back with that stamp because the SSA computers hadnt been updated by USCIS?

Pete
Probably; it does take up to 10 working days to get updated in SAVE.

Got sidetracked anyway...I dropped in to tell you Congratulations! on your good news
Old May 27th 2004, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

vinnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by meauxna
Why didn't you get an unrestricted SS card when you first received I-551 stamp?

I didn't read your other thread yet, but I'd think that the stamp (expired) and the NOA extension would be sufficient for updating your SS status?
My husband applied for a ss card immediately after he arrived in the US on a K1 visa. We weren't married yet, so he did not have the first I-551 stamp in his passport until a few months later at our instant AOS in Detroit. At the time, we really didn't know the difference between a restricted vs. unrestricted ss card.

Now that we know about this, he'd like to apply for an unrestricted card since he is eligible. But when I posted that we'd do this since he has a one-year extension letter and expired conditional green card, Michael replied that SSA would not accept the letter. His reply was a bit confusing to me. Nobody seems to have any experiences with this. I just thought I'd ask before trying to go down to SSA. Obviously we can wait if we have to, but why not get one more thing taken care of now if we can rather than wait some more?

BTW, congrats Pete F! Sorry to get side-tracked here!
Old May 27th 2004, 12:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by vinnic

Now that we know about this, he'd like to apply for an unrestricted card since he is eligible. But when I posted that we'd do this since he has a one-year extension letter and expired conditional green card, Michael replied that SSA would not accept the letter. His reply was a bit confusing to me.
vinnic,
Michael may have misunderstood your question. He said "You best go get your passport stamped with an I-551 stamp."

I could interpret that as him thinking you don't yet have the stamp. As most people don't wait as long as you two did to get the non-notated card, I don't know that you will find an experience post. If it were me, I'd take my passport, old GC, copy+original of the NOA letter and make my case. If the front line said "no", I'd speak to a manager and see if it could be done.

Otherwise, due to the late date, you may have to go get a fresh stamp (unexpired) or worse, wait for I-751 to complete and get your 10 year card. But, I wouldn't think that would be necessary.
Old May 27th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

vinnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by meauxna
vinnic,
Michael may have misunderstood your question. He said "You best go get your passport stamped with an I-551 stamp."

I could interpret that as him thinking you don't yet have the stamp. As most people don't wait as long as you two did to get the non-notated card, I don't know that you will find an experience post. If it were me, I'd take my passport, old GC, copy+original of the NOA letter and make my case. If the front line said "no", I'd speak to a manager and see if it could be done.

Otherwise, due to the late date, you may have to go get a fresh stamp (unexpired) or worse, wait for I-751 to complete and get your 10 year card. But, I wouldn't think that would be necessary.
Yep, I agree with all of the above meauxna. Thanks for the thoughtful input too. I'll be sure to post our experience as soon as we can get down to SSA. I don't think we'll have too many problems either. Thanks again!
Old May 27th 2004, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

JubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant futureJubJub has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pete F
Hmm thats the theory :-).. My new SSN card came thru today despite my I551 stamp and me explaining to the reps . I carries the modified statement "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization"
It also states not to carry it with you ... Hmmm

I presume this came back with that stamp because the SSA computers hadnt been updated by USCIS?

Pete
So your new card is identical to your old card? At least in my case, I applied for the unrestricted card the day after getting my 551 stamp, when the SS guy printed out my SAVE query it still said "temp work authorised". I thought I would have to come back later but he didn't mention anything wrong, and sure enough within a week I had the blessed unrestricted card. The blessings of living in a non metropolitan area I guess. I doubt he had ever done one before. Not that it matters for much but HSBC wouldn't issue me a CC without it (and the actual greencard, they wouldn't accept the I-551 stamp :O )
Old May 28th 2004, 4:02 am
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Pete F is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JubJub
So your new card is identical to your old card? At least in my case, I applied for the unrestricted card the day after getting my 551 stamp, when the SS guy printed out my SAVE query it still said "temp work authorised". I thought I would have to come back later but he didn't mention anything wrong, and sure enough within a week I had the blessed unrestricted card. The blessings of living in a non metropolitan area I guess. I doubt he had ever done one before. Not that it matters for much but HSBC wouldn't issue me a CC without it (and the actual greencard, they wouldn't accept the I-551 stamp :O )

Just phoned the SSA help line.. Looks like I wasnt in the SAVE system or the person who took my details didnt send all the info.. Yes the card still restricted but I will re-apply when the reps come visit us again..

Cheers
Old May 28th 2004, 5:17 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Pete & Carla!

Juliet