Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally got Green card...

Finally got Green card...

Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Smile Finally got Green card...

Well I finally had my green card interview yesterday but I have to say it didn’t live up to expectations at all. I received a letter asking me to come for the interview last week and all that it asked me to bring was the letter itself and my passport.

Of course I went ahead and prepared to bring everything but the kitchen sink. I even went and got my medical exam done. So yesterday at the interview the immigration officer first tells my wife she didn't need to bother taking a day off work to come and then asked me ONLY three simple questions; Was I a terrorist? Had I dealt drugs ?, Had I ever received US benefits ?. She then said "ok your done, go to the room next door and get fingerprinted and you will receive your green card in the mail next week”.

No request for evidence of any sort, tax receipts etc etc...To be honest I dont know why they bothered with the interview at all in the first place.

What a relief to finally get this little green card...I was did a seach for 'me' on this forum. Its quite nostalgic to read those post I made back in 2003 when I came to this forum (living in Switzerland) looking for advice on the old K1 visa. What an amazing journey it has been: 2 weddings (same bride - long story !), lived in 3 states, 2 great jobs etc etc ...Thanks for all the advice people.

Last edited by MrDub; Jun 28th 2006 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally got Green card...

If you were adjusting status based on marriage, your wife most certainly needed to be there. I don't know what drug your examiner was taking but don't be surprised if you are called for an interview for the removal of conditions as your filed will have virtually no proof of the validity of your marriage.

Congratulations, however, on your approval.

Originally Posted by MrDub
Well I finally had my green card interview yesterday but I have to say it didn’t live up to expectations at all. I received a letter asking me to come for the interview last week and all that it asked me to bring was the letter itself and my passport.

Of course I went ahead and prepared to bring everything but the kitchen sink. I even went and got my medical exam done. So yesterday at the interview the immigration officer first tells my wife she didn't need to bother taking a day off work to come and then asked me ONLY three simple questions; Was I a terrorist? Had I dealt drugs ?, Had I ever received US benefits ?. She then said "ok your done, go to the room next door and get fingerprinted and you will receive your green card in the mail next week”.

No request for evidence of any sort, tax receipts etc etc...To be honest I dont know why they bothered with the interview at all in the first place.

What a relief to finally get this little green card...I was did a seach for 'me' on this forum. Its quite nostalgic to read those post I made back in 2003 when I came to this forum (living in Switzerland) looking for advice on the old K1 visa. What an amazing journey it has been: 2 weddings (same bride - long story !), lived in 3 states, 2 great jobs etc etc ...Thanks for all the advice people.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If you were adjusting status based on marriage, your wife most certainly needed to be there.
I wondered about that too! For AOS interviews based on marriage to a USC, both spouses are required to be present.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Yes, I was adjusting based upon marraige and supplied absolutely no proof/medical papers etc. I even handed the officer my sealed medical envelope and she said she didnt need it so I put it back in my bag !...anyway Im not complaining as I got what I wanted from her.

Even on the letter i received inviting me to the interview all I was asked to bring was my passport and the letter.

Last edited by MrDub; Jun 28th 2006 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

CAUTION READERS!

Well just so that other readers out there don't get the idea in their heads that they can go without their spouses, please note, everyone, that this particular instance is not the norm and should not be used as a guideline for anyone who is about to go to their marriage based AOS interview.

Rete

Originally Posted by MrDub
Yes, I was adjusting based upon marraige and supplied absolutely no proof/medical papers etc. I even handed the officer my sealed medical envelope and she said she didnt need it so I put it back in my bag !...anyway Im not complaining as I got what I wanted from her.

Even on the letter i received inviting me to the interview all I was asked to bring was my passport and the letter.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually there are two other work collegues who were in the same situation as me (K1'ers). They had their I-485 interviews about a year ago at the same location with (we think) the same immigration officer. In their cases they had to provide a lot of evidence, tax receipts, spouse (!) etc. They were equally shocked by my interview experience. We had wondered if the process had changed - obviously not by what you are saying. It all seems very stange....