Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally got the ball rolling

Finally got the ball rolling

Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough
Default Finally got the ball rolling

After many many delays problems at home (both sides of the atlantic) my fiance and I have got the ball rolling with the visa (I-129F Non married)! The paperwork was received Feb. 28th and as of yet we have heard nothing we called the USCIS 3 weeks ago and they said that the Vermont processing centre is behind in their time scales.

At the point of calling they had only processed up to January 16th!

As a result I thought it would be worth pressing forward with some things I can do on my side.

So I have some questions:

1. Can I apply for my police certificate now, or will it be too early (I have it all filled out, witnessed etc)?

2. I have the following innoculation coverage:

DTP + Polio (1,2,3)
Measles
BCG
DT + Polio
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (Booster)
Hep A + Typhoid

Should that cover the innoculations, I have had Chicken pox when I was a kid so I think the Varicella.

3. How do I go about moving my savings from GBP to USD?

4. How did you ship your belongings, is it worth me looking for a small shipping container or since my family will be coming over for the wedding do I book an extra bag for my initial flight over pack both full then when they come over bring more stuff?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally got the ball rolling

Originally Posted by UK_Tomcat_Fan
1. Can I apply for my police certificate now...
Yes - it is valid for a year.

Should that cover the innoculations, I have had Chicken pox when I was a kid so I think the Varicella.
Vaccinations are dependent on age, and that info is available online.

3. How do I go about moving my savings from GBP to USD?
Check out www.xe.com.

4. How did you ship your belongings, is it worth me looking for a small shipping container or since my family will be coming over for the wedding do I book an extra bag for my initial flight over pack both full then when they come over bring more stuff?
How you ship usually depends on who pays for it. If you're not in a hurry, send it with family - and as long as they don't get turned back at the POE, you'll get your stuff.

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:34 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You've not received a Receipt Notice for the I-129f?

Regards, JEff

After many many delays problems at home (both sides of the atlantic) my fiance and I have got the ball rolling with the visa (I-129F Non married)! The paperwork was received Feb. 28th and as of yet we have heard nothing
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How you ship usually depends on who pays for it. If you're not in a hurry, send it with family - and as long as they don't get turned back at the POE, you'll get your stuff.
If you can get your family to bring some stuff over with them that is great but be careful about excess baggage fees from the airlines. I think that the free baggage allowance with most airlines is now down to only one checked bag for economy class on international flights and some of them are also getting very aggressive about charging extra for overweight bags.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You've not received a Receipt Notice for the I-129f?

Regards, JEff
Sorry wasn't quite clear on that we are currently waiting on the second part of the Visa (we have received the Receipt notice) with the Visa number on it, online we are at the "Initial Review" stage of the visa.

I believe this would be NOA2 but i am unsure

Originally Posted by md95065
If you can get your family to bring some stuff over with them that is great but be careful about excess baggage fees from the airlines. I think that the free baggage allowance with most airlines is now down to only one checked bag for economy class on international flights and some of them are also getting very aggressive about charging extra for overweight bags.
BA allows 25 KGs over head and 25KGs in the hold, with at least 3 people coming over that should give enough to come over with enough weight

Last edited by UK_Tomcat_Fan; Aug 28th 2012 at 3:41 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so you have heard something.

You are not waiting for "the second part of the Visa", you are waiting for approval of the petition. The approval notice will not have a "Visa number" on it. Once the petition is approved, then you can apply for a visa.

Yes, the Approval Notice is commonly referred to as "NOA2", although for some folks the Approval Notice may actually be NOA3, or 4, or 5.

Regards, JEff

Sorry wasn't quite clear on that we are currently waiting on the second part of the Visa (we have received the Receipt notice) with the Visa number on it, online we are at the "Initial Review" stage of the visa.

Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Still not clear to me. You submitted an I-129F in Feb 2012. You received the receipt notice for that (NOA1). The receipt notice would not have a visa number on it. Only the visa will have a visa number on it.

"Initial Review" means that the I-129F has not yet been approved? Did you receive the Approval Notice (NOA2)? Or are you still waiting for the I-129F to be approved?

The "second part" of the whole process is after the I-129F gets approved. But "Initial Review" usually means they are still working on the I-129F approval.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

We are waiting for the NOA2.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We are waiting for the NOA2.
Thank you for clarifying.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Sorry folks!

I have thought of another question

When I come to move to the USA when I enter the states does it have to be done through the Orlando airport or can I enter through another (JFK) then connect down to Orlando?

Thanks

Martin
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You can enter through any airport. You will go through customs and immigration at your first point of entry into the US and you can then connect to a domestic flight to your final destination. This is perfectly normal - nobody will care or even ask you about this.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

So on entry I would go through the Visa process or would I wait till Orlando (confused) also once I arrive at Orlando would I go through the Visitors queue or could I use the USC queue??
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

As I said, you go through customs and immigration (which in your case will include handling your visa) at your *first* point of entry into the US.

If that is not your final destination in the US then you will transfer to a *domestic* flight which means that you will not go through customs and immigration again when you finally get wherever it is that you are going.

Which line you get in at the first airport depends on the airport - if there is a special line for immigrants then you will probably use that otherwise you will use the one for visitors. You won't use the line for US citizens unless someone specifically directs you there because you aren't a US citizen ...

Last edited by md95065; Aug 29th 2012 at 11:01 am.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:58 pm

Sorry folks!

I have thought of another question

When I come to move to the USA when I enter the states does it have to be done through the Orlando airport or can I enter through another (JFK) then connect down to Orlando?

Thanks

Martin
It does not matter where you enter the USA. You will be processed the same no matter where your flight lands. Then you can take a connecting flight to your final destination.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for clarifying that

I was under the impression I had to get the entry done in Orlando (my final destination)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.