Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally the end in sight! Our AOS case

Wikiposts

Finally the end in sight! Our AOS case

Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

johnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nicejohnandrose is just really nice
Default Finally the end in sight! Our AOS case

It's been a long time since I posted here last - mainly because after our May 19th (2005) interview, there was no news about our AOS case from Baltimore. A few months ago we had made an INFOPASS appointment and they said that there will be no news before February 2006 Then we got a letter that said not to contact Baltimore until January 27.

Well, Jan 27th was approaching fast and I made an infopass appointment again for Jan 31st ..... and guess what?

...... yesterday (Jan 26th), after I go home from work, wife hands me a letter from the Baltimore office that says that her I-485 has been approved and she is now an LPR!!! Later when I was reading the letter more carefully, I realized that she'll not be a CR1 but an IR1, because we just celebrated our 2nd anniversary last December. I jumped up one more time after I realized this (because no more USCIS for 2.5 years when wife gets ready to file for citizenship )

Finally, our I-485 journey is over .... well ..... almost. The letter says that it may take 9 - 12 months (!) for the card to arrive. So, we'll be going to Baltimore to get the I-551 stamp. I do have a question to you though - we need to visit the Social Security office again to have the unrestricted card, right? And before we go to the SS office, we should get the I-551 stamp on the passport, right?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:54 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally the end in sight! Our AOS case

Originally Posted by johnandrose
It's been a long time since I posted here last - mainly because after our May 19th (2005) interview, there was no news about our AOS case from Baltimore. A few months ago we had made an INFOPASS appointment and they said that there will be no news before February 2006 Then we got a letter that said not to contact Baltimore until January 27.

Well, Jan 27th was approaching fast and I made an infopass appointment again for Jan 31st ..... and guess what?

...... yesterday (Jan 26th), after I go home from work, wife hands me a letter from the Baltimore office that says that her I-485 has been approved and she is now an LPR!!! Later when I was reading the letter more carefully, I realized that she'll not be a CR1 but an IR1, because we just celebrated our 2nd anniversary last December. I jumped up one more time after I realized this (because no more USCIS for 2.5 years when wife gets ready to file for citizenship )

Finally, our I-485 journey is over .... well ..... almost. The letter says that it may take 9 - 12 months (!) for the card to arrive. So, we'll be going to Baltimore to get the I-551 stamp. I do have a question to you though - we need to visit the Social Security office again to have the unrestricted card, right? And before we go to the SS office, we should get the I-551 stamp on the passport, right?
Congratualtions!! Always great to hear of another survivor! LOL
Old Jan 27th 2006, 4:00 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I do have a question to you though - we need to visit the Social Security office again to have the unrestricted card, right? And before we go to the SS office, we should get the I-551 stamp on the passport, right?
Yes and yes.

Many congratulations to you both John! 'Bout bloody time you heard something.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Wanna bet the cards arrives in your mailbox within the next month? As for SS card, wait until you get the physical card and then go have it changed to a legendless card. There is no urgency and it helps to have the card when dealing with someone who doesn't know what the stamp is.

Also note, that many district offices will NOT give the stamp unless you need it for employment or travel. So don't be surprised if she is denied the stamp.

Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations....