Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally arrived...more AOS questions!

Wikiposts

Finally arrived...more AOS questions!

Old May 21st 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

alc72uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally arrived...more AOS questions!

Hi all,

I finally arrived in the States on April 21st and got married in Hawaii on May 4th!!

I'm now in the process of trying to get my SSN and I-693 signed but this is taking longer than I expected...

According to Social Security my K1 status is still not showing up in the 'system' even though I've been in the country for more than three weeks now. Is this normal?

And when I went to get my I-693 signed, I had to have a TB test which had a positive result. The doc made me have another chest x-ray (despite getting one done in London for my medical back in December 08) so I'm still waiting for the results before he can sign off the I-693.

My concern about all of this is that I have a date of July 20th 2009 written on my I-94 when I arrived at the POE. Does this mean I have to adjust my status before this date? Would they send me back to the UK on this date if the AOS paperwork still hadn't been approved??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda
Old May 21st 2009, 12:37 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally arrived...more AOS questions!

Originally Posted by alc72uk
Hi all,

I finally arrived in the States on April 21st and got married in Hawaii on May 4th!!

I'm now in the process of trying to get my SSN and I-693 signed but this is taking longer than I expected...

According to Social Security my K1 status is still not showing up in the 'system' even though I've been in the country for more than three weeks now. Is this normal?

And when I went to get my I-693 signed, I had to have a TB test which had a positive result. The doc made me have another chest x-ray (despite getting one done in London for my medical back in December 08) so I'm still waiting for the results before he can sign off the I-693.

My concern about all of this is that I have a date of July 20th 2009 written on my I-94 when I arrived at the POE. Does this mean I have to adjust my status before this date? Would they send me back to the UK on this date if the AOS paperwork still hadn't been approved??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda
what is the i-693??

*going to go look now*

ps fiance arrive 4/21 we applied for his ss on 5/5 he got it back..like the 17th i think??

And more ps...

I was told that it was best to have the AOS filed before this date, my husbands is july 21st so were right on track with you...but it was OK if it happened later but not TOO late

Also if you dont get into the SS system by day 76 you will have to wait to get your SS card til later

Last edited by agentpeppermint; May 21st 2009 at 12:40 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

alc72uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!

Thanks for your reply...you guys seem to be on the same timeline as me!

The I-693 form needs to be signed by an approved civil surgeon and sent with the rest of your AOS pack of paperwork. You can find the list of civil surgeons in your area on the USCIS website along with the instructions about the I-693. I downloaded the form and filled out part 1.

Don't worry, your husband won't need to have another full medical exam but I had to have a varicella vaccination which isn't issued in the UK and a TB test.

Amanda

Last edited by alc72uk; May 21st 2009 at 1:14 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean I have to adjust my status before this date?
No. It means simply that if you did not get married, you would need to leave by that date. Since you got married, you have already fulfilled the requirement of the K-1 visa. While it's a good idea, it is *not* a requirement to file the AOS package within those 90 days.

Would they send me back to the UK on this date if the AOS paperwork still hadn't been approved?
No, of course not!

Ian
Old May 21st 2009, 2:00 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

A,

Hi all,

OMG, didn't you read all the posts recommending that one not leave the continental US for places such as Hawaii until you have advance parole?

Not normal, but not unheard of either.

Regards, JEff