final stages of fiancee visa process

Wikiposts

final stages of fiancee visa process

Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Catherine21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default final stages of fiancee visa process

Dear All,

I am really lost and would love some advice of people with experience.

My boyfriend/fiance is American and I am British. We started our journey towards a K1 visa back in August when we applied for the I-129F etc. We're finally approaching the stage where I will have my interview in London, but I am so worried. I just don't know how strict they are.

They ask for 'proof' that you're engaged. The only proof that I can think of would be an application for a marriage license, but these need to be requested and signed for in person (and yes, I've phoned around a variety of states in case we could apply to a centre in another state!!). So am I supposed to fly all the way to the states just to sign a form? Not saying I wouldn't pounce upon any excuse to go and visit my boyfriend right now, but as I'm sure you all understand, moving country is a costly thing.. we're trying to save every penny we can right now. What proof did you guys all provide?

Another thing I worry about is the proof that I won't be a burden on the state. I have my own savings, maybe about £5000, but I don't know how much they expect. I also work for an American company so could provide evidence that there would be no problem transferring (although I could not provide an actual job offer because I will not be offered a job in the states with my company until I am legal to work there and have a US driving license.. bit of a circular argument in a way!). Do you think this is sufficient? Or should I also try to get a family member to file an affidavit of support too? What did you all use as evidence?

And what do they actually ASK at this interview? What is it really for? Did all of you get married because your American partner threw themselves to their knees and showed you a ring? Or, like me, did you do it because you met the person you knew you wanted to spend the rest of your life with, but knew that politics would keep you apart and your only option was to get a fiance visa / marriage? My partner and I plan to keep our marriage somewhat quiet, and re-celebrate it again in a few years time when we have the finances to really celebrate it in the way it should be celebrated. But for now we're doing it simply so we can be together. Is this wrong? Is this unusual? Or is this what in reality everyone is doing? I feel like because I have no ring on my finger I'm a total fraud and will get 'caught out' and denied my visa. I just don't know what to do. It's been such a long and painful process, I'd appreciate any advice or pearls of wisdom so so very much.

Thank you all in advance.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: final stages of fiancee visa process

Originally Posted by Catherine21
They ask for 'proof' that you're engaged. What proof did you guys all provide?
There's really no way to prove you're engaged, per say. But bring proof of your ongoing relationship....pictures together, phone bills, emails, that sort of thing.

Another thing I worry about is the proof that I won't be a burden on the state. I have my own savings, maybe about £5000, but I don't know how much they expect. I also work for an American company so could provide evidence that there would be no problem transferring (although I could not provide an actual job offer because I will not be offered a job in the states with my company until I am legal to work there and have a US driving license.. bit of a circular argument in a way!). Do you think this is sufficient? Or should I also try to get a family member to file an affidavit of support too? What did you all use as evidence?
Did your USC fiance give you an I-134 Affidavit of Support? This is what most people use, and is usually a requirement for most consulates. London is unique in that they allow you to "self-sponsor" if you have enough cash or liquid assets. I don't know if 5,000 is enough, there is no real guideline, it's up to the consulate. If your USC can send you an I-134, in my opinion that is the more secure route to take. You'll show the I-134 at the interview.

And what do they actually ASK at this interview? What is it really for? Did all of you get married because your American partner threw themselves to their knees and showed you a ring?
They typically ask how you met, how often you visit, just basically making sure you know each other and have real marriage intent. The interview is so the officer can look through your paperwork, see you in person, get your medical results and police report in hand, see the Affidavit of Support, and make sure you are who you say you are. It's hard to get a fiance visa denied unless you've had previous problems such as visa overstay, criminal past, etc. My husband and I went the fiance visa route because I wasn't prepared to get married when I went to see him in Turkey...I didn't have any of my paperwork with me and we didn't talk about getting married in Turkey until near the end of my visit, and it wasn't enough time to get my stuff sent from USA and do all the process in Turkey before I had to leave. So when I came back, we did the fiance route.

From what I hear, the London interviews are especially easy and relaxed.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:48 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

Hi

I am sure if you did a search on K1 evidence it will give you some ideas. I was worried about the whole "fiance" part as well as we basically filed the papers and then he came and asked me "officially" in person. Looking back now it seems silly that I worried so much, but I did. I didn't actually have a ring when we filed, but some people don't and I don't think it should matter. Once your big day comes you will want to document the day though because you will need that evidence later

I think it's normal to stress a little. This is rather important to you. And not everyone has the big poofy wedding. we had one with 67 people.. not small, but not huge. At this point, like you, we just wanted to be together.

Good luck, keep us posted. I don't feel like I answered your question, sorry.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:49 am
Just Joined

The problem with using him as my affidavit of support is that he's not in a very strong financial position. He has some past debt, and is currently working part-time whilst going to college. I pay half the rent on our apartment that obviously only he lives in right now, and I help him with other bills too.. I'm the one a lot more financially secure than him and I feel that presenting them with an affidavit of support from him, with evidence of his finances of a few hundred dollars, might do more harm than good!!!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with using him as my affidavit of support is that he's not in a very strong financial position. He has some past debt, and is currently working part-time whilst going to college. I pay half the rent on our apartment that obviously only he lives in right now, and I help him with other bills too.. I'm the one a lot more financially secure than him and I feel that presenting them with an affidavit of support from him, with evidence of his finances of a few hundred dollars, might do more harm than good!!!
Does he earn the minimum requirement with his part time income? I believe it needs to be around $17,000 (or a bit less) per year if it's just the two of you.

Otherwise, he can get a joint sponsor to help out as well. He'll need to show that income on the I-864 by the time you do your AOS anyway, unless you are somehow able to work by that time.

If you are going to self-sponsor, send the London embassy an email asking if 5,000 is enough to show for the K-1 visa requirements.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:42 am
Just Joined

No, he does not earn this much on his part-time income. He earns about $10,000. I guess I'll just have to enquire further about self-sponsoring, and start saving!!

Thanks for all your help so far everyone.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:45 am

No, he does not earn this much on his part-time income. He earns about $10,000. I guess I'll just have to enquire further about self-sponsoring, and start saving!!

Thanks for all your help so far everyone.
You're welcome. Email London and ask if 5000 will suffice. Meanwhile, have your fiance take a look at the I-864. He will need to be prepared to file one of those along with your AOS paperwork after you're married. If he doesn't meet the income requirement by then, and you're not working yet, he'll have to get a joint sponsor.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: final stages of fiancee visa process

Hi,

Im sure it will be fine in the end.
I did the K1 in 2001. We had gotten engaged before I went back to England.
He got a new job in the Oct of 01 and filed our paperwork on Nov 01.
I moved here in May 02.Like you I had about 5000 pound in Savings.
I dont even remember them asking this at the interview. It was very casual .Mainly checked through all the paperwork and stuff. Asked where I would be living.
It would be best to go prepared with phone bill and pictures, letters cards just in case . And you will need all that again when you go for your AOS interview. Thats when we had to file the Affidavit of Support also.
Even add your name to utility bills once you are here.So it shows you are sharing your life . I also took our Wedding Album. She did look in it too.
Take care . Good Luck.

Last edited by unicorndreams; Apr 6th 2007 at 4:17 am.