Reload this Page >

final questions about interview-children

Wikiposts

final questions about interview-children

Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default final questions about interview-children

Am probably being dumb, but do my children aged 5 and 8 have to attend the interview? My husband (UKC) has the letter with visa interview date and my children received one too as they have all applied for the immigrant visas. My 8 year old is not my husband's child, the 5 year old is. sorry confused!
On the embassy website it states:
All applicants registered for immigration in the immediate relative category, including children, are required to attend the Embassy in person for a formal visa interview with a U.S. consular officer. Persons under the age of fourteen who are deriving status from an immigrant visa or a K visa petition filed on behalf of a parent and are applying for the visa at the same time as the parent need not attend the interview. They must, however, attend the medical examination.

also, I am providing evidence to show intent to reestablish domicile, do I have to provide photocopies of all that evidence too? (endless emails about schools, apartments, shipping quotes etc!)
thanks
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:56 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: final questions about interview-children

Originally Posted by jukes
All applicants registered for immigration in the immediate relative category, including children, are required to attend the Embassy in person for a formal visa interview with a U.S. consular officer. Persons under the age of fourteen who are deriving status from an immigrant visa or a K visa petition filed on behalf of a parent and are applying for the visa at the same time as the parent need not attend the interview. They must, however, attend the medical examination.
Interesting phrasing of the quote from the embassy web site, because your children are not deriving their status from the petition for your husband - you filed petitions for each of them also, yes? In which case, they do not meet the stated qualification to skip the interview.

My thought is that children should attend the interview in any case. Their involvement may be nothing more than the consular officer looking at them, but they may need to be seen. In some countries, although probably not in the UK, there are problems with people getting visas for children not their own.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 13th 2011 at 2:59 am.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

Am probably being dumb, but do my children aged 5 and 8 have to attend the interview? My husband (UKC) has the letter with visa interview date and my children received one too as they have all applied for the immigrant visas. My 8 year old is not my husband's child, the 5 year old is. sorry confused!
Did you get a US passport for the 5 yr old? He likely qualifies for US citizenship. He wouldn't need a visa or the greencard to follow because his mother is a US citizen. I think the statement is saying if the child had a separate I-130 filed on their behalf then they attend. If they were just listed as part of the petition/visa application for your husband, then they don't need to attend.

also, I am providing evidence to show intent to reestablish domicile, do I have to provide photocopies of all that evidence too? (endless emails about schools, apartments, shipping quotes etc!)
thanks
Photocopies are provided for any originals you want back. Likely you still have those emails, so giving one copy to the embassy for the file won't leave you without. They don't have a need to keep two copies.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

As the usc and mother to both children i filed I-130s for them as they were not entitled to US citizenship automatically because i have never lived in the US, so don't meet residency rules!
Shame i have to take them, they will be so bored!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

CAProgrammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Since you filed separate I-130 forms for your children they will need to attend the interview too.

I don't know all your circumstances, but just thought I'd mention that since one of your children isn't your current husband's child you would need a document granting permission for the child to immigrate from the child's biological parent. Many people seem to overlook this, so just thought I'd give you a reminder in case it applies to you...

Good luck!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAProgrammer
Since you filed separate I-130 forms for your children they will need to attend the interview too.

I don't know all your circumstances, but just thought I'd mention that since one of your children isn't your current husband's child you would need a document granting permission for the child to immigrate from the child's biological parent. Many people seem to overlook this, so just thought I'd give you a reminder in case it applies to you...

Good luck!
Thanks! Guess I will be taking them to interview!
I have got a notarized letter from child's biological father stating he gives permission for me to take child to USA indefinitely, wasn't the nicest of things he had to do for me! Hope will suffice!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... wasn't the nicest of things he had to do for me!
Really? Considering the alternative, it sounds quite decent of him.

Ian
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Really? Considering the alternative, it sounds quite decent of him.

Ian
Meaning wasn't a pleasant thing for him to do, have to write that letter, it was very decent. Didn't mean it to sound negative at all!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

a point on the citizenship of your 2 little ones, but i thought i remember reading somewhere that even without the residency requirements of the parent to be able to pass on citizenship automatically to the kids, that the kids automatically become US citizens as soon as they land in the US....just a point to remember when applying for the greencards, they wont actually need them, just your husband
Obviously i could be wrong and im sure someone will be along behind me to point out any errors in my thought
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:05 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

One does not apply for a greencard - unless it's to replace or renew a greencard that one already had.

One applies for an immigrant visa, or to adjust status, and the ID card comes automagically when one obtains their PR status.

You are correct that if, using the immigrant visa, one becomes a USC rather than a PR, they will not receive a greencard. Greencards are not issued to USCs, there is no ID card for a USC. (Several stand-ins, though!)

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by paulpur
....just a point to remember when applying for the greencards, they wont actually need them, just your husband