Reload this Page >

Final Divorce Decree / Interview Question

Wikiposts

Final Divorce Decree / Interview Question

Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Final Divorce Decree / Interview Question

I am a UK citizen and have my interview this week in London for a K-1 visa. My fiancee is a US citizen and was previously married. When we were filing the original forms in the US we got a letter saying the certified copy of her final divorce decree wasn't good enough and we had to send in the original. We did that and everything went through okay. Once we sent everything in we never got it back.

Now I'm looking through the document checklist and am wondering what I have to do regarding the "termination of prior marriages" section. I have no documents as they have already been sent in. Like an idiot I sort of skipped that bit as I was worried about what I had to gather and I've never been married!! It is a holiday in the US today so if I need something my fiancee could possibly go to the court tomorrow and send something over that is guarenteed next day delivery (does anyone know anywhere good to arrange 24 hour delivery?). My interview is on Thursday!!

What I was wondering was that as her divorce documents have already been seen and approved whether I had to take anything? When you go to the interview do they have records of what you have submitted before or are you going in and talking to someone that has nothing and you have to show you have enough to get the visa?

Apologies for the long winded question but my interview is around the corner and I'm freaking out now!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:53 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final Divorce Decree / Interview Question

Originally posted by Pauljarv
I am a UK citizen and have my interview this week in London for a K-1 visa. My fiancee is a US citizen and was previously married. When we were filing the original forms in the US we got a letter saying the certified copy of her final divorce decree wasn't good enough and we had to send in the original. We did that and everything went through okay. Once we sent everything in we never got it back.

Now I'm looking through the document checklist and am wondering what I have to do regarding the "termination of prior marriages" section. I have no documents as they have already been sent in. Like an idiot I sort of skipped that bit as I was worried about what I had to gather and I've never been married!! It is a holiday in the US today so if I need something my fiancee could possibly go to the court tomorrow and send something over that is guarenteed next day delivery (does anyone know anywhere good to arrange 24 hour delivery?). My interview is on Thursday!!

What I was wondering was that as her divorce documents have already been seen and approved whether I had to take anything? When you go to the interview do they have records of what you have submitted before or are you going in and talking to someone that has nothing and you have to show you have enough to get the visa?

Apologies for the long winded question but my interview is around the corner and I'm freaking out now!

You can always email London Paul to check. But I will tell you that in our case (K3 going thru London),that although we had both been married previously, once we got past the 129F approval, the only thing that they wanted to see at the interview was my UK husband's prior marriage license and final divorce decree. Don't know why the prior license, but never mind. I repeat, if in doubt email 'em or call 'em.
Good luck
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pauljarv What I was wondering was that as her divorce documents have already been seen and approved whether I had to take anything? When you go to the interview do they have records of what you have submitted before or are you going in and talking to someone that has nothing and you have to show you have enough to get the visa?
Thank you Cindy. Just in answer to my own question (we've been on the £100 a second phone line to the embassy) when I get there the person I have to speak to will have our file and included in it will be stuff we've previously sent in. The person on the other end of the phone confirmed that I won't have to take the divorce stuff along as it's already in the file! I'm happy about that even though it sounds way too efficient to be true! A big sigh of relief came out of my mouth I can tell you!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pauljarv
Thank you Cindy. Just in answer to my own question (we've been on the £100 a second phone line to the embassy) when I get there the person I have to speak to will have our file and included in it will be stuff we've previously sent in. The person on the other end of the phone confirmed that I won't have to take the divorce stuff along as it's already in the file! I'm happy about that even though it sounds way too efficient to be true! A big sigh of relief came out of my mouth I can tell you!

Actually it is true. The brown envelope you are given, if you are approved, will contain every single piece of paper submitted from the I-129F onward with a few from the agencies involved as well.

To be on the safe side take a photocopy of her divorce decree. I'm assuming she did keep copies of the package she submitted on your behalf.

Rete