Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Filling out I-485......

Filling out I-485......

Old Aug 9th 2002, 5:12 am
Grahame And Laura

Default Filling out I-485......

Hi,

I thought maybe you guys could help me. I'm filling out the I485 at the moment, only
at page 1 and i don't understand a few things on the form.

The field " A# (if any) ". Is this an Alien registration number? My K1 visa has a
number u nder "annontation" beginning with "A", in the format AXX-XXX-XXX. Is this
what I put down?

The field "I-94#" . I have my little I-94 Departure Record in my Passport next to
the visa. It was stapled there by the INS guy at the airport when I arrived last
month. It has a number beneath the line "Departure Number" that has the format
XXXXXXXXX XX, which corresponds in increments with a series of lines beneath, so I
assume it is sometimes written in by hand. Is this number the I-94 number that i
should write in this field in my I 485 form?

Under the field "Current INS status" what do I put? I entered on a K1 visa; we are
now married and I am applying for AOS. Am I still on a K1 visa or do am I
"pending"? I would have thought have thought I wasn't pending until I sent this
bloody form to the VSC.

Under the field "Expires on" should I put the date the I-94 ends, as shown on my
Departure Record? (ie 3 months after date of entry to the US).

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm sure I'll have other questions;-)

Grahame and Laura

K-1 app. mailed 1/24/2002. First NOA received 2/4/2002 (dated 1/28). Approval via
automated phone line 2/13. Sydney consulate cabled 2/14.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 5:29 am
Grahame And Laura

Default Re: Filling out I-485......

Here's another one......

Part 3. The field, "Place of last entry into the US".

Is this asking me when I entered on my K1 visa (i.e., 6 weeks ago), or when I
previously came to the US, which would have been last Christmas on a visa waiver. I
would have thought the former, but then the field, "In what status did you last
enter? (Visitor, student, exchange alien, crewman etc etc) doesn't mention K1 or any
kind of nonimmigrant visa, although in another field it asks for my nonimmigrant visa
number. Ug.

Any response appreciated. Cheers.

Grahame and Laura

K-1 app. mailed 1/24/2002. First NOA received 2/4/2002 (dated 1/28). Approval via

Old Aug 9th 2002, 5:37 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: Filling out I-485......

"Grahame and Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
com
    > Hi,
    > I thought maybe you guys could help me. I'm filling out the I485 at the moment,
    > only at page 1 and i don't understand a few things on the form.
    > The field " A# (if any) ". Is this an Alien registration number? My K1 visa has a
    > number u nder "annontation" beginning with "A", in the format AXX-XXX-XXX. Is
    > this what I put down?

Yes.

> The field "I-94#" . I have my little I-94 Departure Record in my Passport next to
    > the visa. It was stapled there by the INS guy at the airport when I arrived last
    > month. It has a number beneath the line "Departure Number" that has the format
    > XXXXXXXXX XX, which corresponds in increments with a series of lines beneath, so I
    > assume it is sometimes written in by hand. Is this number the I-94 number that i
    > should write in this field in my I 485 form?

Yes.

> Under the field "Current INS status" what do I put? I entered on a K1 visa; we are
    > now married and I am applying for AOS. Am I still on a K1 visa or do am I
    > "pending"? I would have thought have thought I wasn't pending until I sent this
    > bloody form to the VSC.

Fiance(e) (K-1) on the I-485; pending permanent resident on the I-765. Your local INS
office is Baltimore, right?

> Under the field "Expires on" should I put the date the I-94 ends, as shown on my
    > Departure Record? (ie 3 months after date of entry to the US).

Yes.

> Part 3. The field, "Place of last entry into the US".
    > Is this asking me when I entered on my K1 visa (i.e., 6 weeks ago), or when I
    > previously came to the US, which would have been last Christmas on a visa waiver. I
    > would have thought the former, but then the field, "In what status did you last
    > enter? (Visitor, student, exchange alien, crewman etc etc) doesn't mention K1 or
    > any kind of nonimmigrant visa, although in another field it asks for my
    > nonimmigrant visa number. Ug.

The place you entered with the K-1; the non-immigrant visa number is the red number
on the K-1.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 8:47 am
Grahame And Laura

Default Still Filling out AOS papers.....

A couple more questions about AOS filing (I'm paranoid I'll forget something):

The G-325A - does my spouse (the USC) have fill one out too? Or just me, the one
adjusting?

The K1 site mentions forms that go with the ADIT photos. (WR-702,703, and I-468 are
all same form basically, they are not used by all offices). Does the Vermont SC
need one of these? Which one?

Also, for those filing the I-765, the EAD, this was on the INS website:

"Special Instructions:

Please note: The blue "Signature Card" mentioned in the form's instructions is no
longer required by INS."

Cheers Grahame

Grahame and Laura

Old Aug 27th 2002, 3:02 pm
Dean

Default Re: Still Filling out AOS papers.....

You both have to fill one out a G325 or whatever that form is called. We were lucky
enough to find a pdf version online somwhere so we only had to enter the information
once and it replicated it on all the pages and printed out as it should. After that,
all we needed to do was doublecheck and sign.

If you need help with stuff like this, lemme know.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:47:17 GMT, Grahame and Laura
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A couple more questions about AOS filing (I'm paranoid I'll forget something):
    >The G-325A - does my spouse (the USC) have fill one out too? Or just me, the one
    >adjusting?
    >The K1 site mentions forms that go with the ADIT photos. (WR-702,703, and I-468 are
    >all same form basically, they are not used by all offices). Does the Vermont SC
    >need one of these? Which one?
    >Also, for those filing the I-765, the EAD, this was on the INS website:
    >"Special Instructions:
    >Please note: The blue "Signature Card" mentioned in the form's instructions is no
    >longer required by INS."
    >Cheers Grahame
    >Grahame and Laura
    >K-1 app. mailed 1/24/2002. First NOA received 2/4/2002 (dated 1/28). Approval via
    >automated phone line 2/13. Sydney consulate cabled 2/14.

Old Aug 30th 2002, 12:35 am
Grahame And Laura

Default Re: Re: Still Filling out AOS papers.....

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 03:02:52 GMT, Dean <[email protected]> wrote:

>You both have to fill one out a G325 or whatever that form is called. We were lucky
    >enough to find a pdf version online somwhere so we only had to enter the information
    >once and it replicated it on all the pages and printed out as it should. After that,
    >all we needed to do was doublecheck and sign.
    >If you need help with stuff like this, lemme know.

Oh shit, we've sent it off, but only filled out a G325A for me. I thought that was
all we needed, as I'm the one filing for AOS. It'd be nice if the INS would explain
this on their website.

>On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:47:17 GMT, Grahame and Laura
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>A couple more questions about AOS filing (I'm paranoid I'll forget something):
    >>The G-325A - does my spouse (the USC) have fill one out too? Or just me, the one
    >>adjusting?
    >>The K1 site mentions forms that go with the ADIT photos. (WR-702,703, and I-468
    >>are all same form basically, they are not used by all offices). Does the Vermont
    >>SC need one of these? Which one?
    >>Also, for those filing the I-765, the EAD, this was on the INS website:
    >>"Special Instructions:
    >>Please note: The blue "Signature Card" mentioned in the form's instructions is no
    >>longer required by INS."
    >>Cheers Grahame
    >>Grahame and Laura
    >>K-1 app. mailed 1/24/2002. First NOA received 2/4/2002 (dated 1/28). Approval via
    >>automated phone line 2/13. Sydney consulate cabled 2/14.

Grahame and Laura