Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Filing taxes in London no more?

Filing taxes in London no more?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

BrittanyB is on a distinguished road
Default Filing taxes in London no more?

Hi! I am sending my 2010 taxes off (hoping to get one copy stamped received and sent back to me for husband's visa) but I'm a bit confused...if you go to this US embassy link http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/irsoffice.html
It says that people should send their tax returns to an address in Austin, Texas. It says that any tax returns sent to London will be re-routed to the USA. Is this new? If not, how do you get them to stamp 'received' on it? Should I send it via London, and even though it will be re-routed, will they still stamp it received? I checked the tax wiki and didn't see an answer to this one.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

hydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nicehydrasoul is just really nice
Default Re: Filing taxes in London no more?

see the thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700121
ive asked the same question, and i think maybe you can send to london to get them stamped and sent back to you (copies), but then they send them to USA. if you want to directly file (no stamp) then they can be directed to USA.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah,I was hoping for a stamp. I included a little letter that asked them to send back one 1040 stamped, but if the IRS isn't really operating out of there anymore, not sure of they will do it : /
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

BTW, just to let people know, the London IRS WILL still stamp your return. I sent mine off and got it back today, about a week later. Weirdly, they stamped my cover letter as well as my 1040 (they only stamped the first page), although the stamp is pretty hard to make out...hope US Immigration accepts it.