Kitty

Default FILING FROM OTTAWA CONSULATE

hi there!
i am american living in canada and wondering if anyone has dealt with
ottawa consulate before. i am filing form I-130 to bring my spouse
back with me to states. we think it may take about a year if we wait
for greencard from here. am i being too optimistic?? if i file to
return and wait in the states does anyone know how long roughly wait
is? we are straight shot kinda couple, no prior arrests etc.
any thoughts suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FILING FROM OTTAWA CONSULATE

Originally posted by Kitty
hi there!
i am american living in canada and wondering if anyone has dealt with
ottawa consulate before. i am filing form I-130 to bring my spouse
back with me to states. we think it may take about a year if we wait
for greencard from here. am i being too optimistic?? if i file to
return and wait in the states does anyone know how long roughly wait
is? we are straight shot kinda couple, no prior arrests etc.
any thoughts suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

You are not an optimist but a dreamer. You cannot file at the US Consulate in Ottawa. In fact, you cannot file in Canaada at all.

You will have to file for his I-130 at the Nebraska Service Center and then eventually he/you will deal with the US Consulate in Montreal. That is the only US Consulate in all of Canada which will do the Immediate Relative Visa. Timeframe if you do a straight I-130 is about 12 to 18 months. If you want you can always file the I-130 at NSC and then file for the I-129F at the Chicago office to get the K-3 visa started. This might well be the faster route to go as it should take from 4 to 8 months for that visa to go through. Then you have the option of his returning to Canada to interview at the US Consulate in Montreal for the I-130 completion and then re-entering the US as a permanent resident.

Suggest you read the FAQ mentioned in the first post of this forum on British Expats.

Rete
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FILING FROM OTTAWA CONSULATE

Since you are not a member of BE here is the URL for the FAQ

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Originally posted by Rete
You are not an optimist but a dreamer. You cannot file at the US Consulate in Ottawa. In fact, you cannot file in Canaada at all.

You will have to file for his I-130 at the Nebraska Service Center and then eventually he/you will deal with the US Consulate in Montreal. That is the only US Consulate in all of Canada which will do the Immediate Relative Visa. Timeframe if you do a straight I-130 is about 12 to 18 months. If you want you can always file the I-130 at NSC and then file for the I-129F at the Chicago office to get the K-3 visa started. This might well be the faster route to go as it should take from 4 to 8 months for that visa to go through. Then you have the option of his returning to Canada to interview at the US Consulate in Montreal for the I-130 completion and then re-entering the US as a permanent resident.

Suggest you read the FAQ mentioned in the first post of this forum on British Expats.

Rete