Reload this Page >

Filing joint tax returns

Wikiposts

Filing joint tax returns

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:09 am
Just Joined

mn77845 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filing joint tax returns

This might not be the right forum for this question but I'm pretty sure a lot of people here might have the right answer. My wife and I have been married for 7-8 months now. I am on a H1-B (with an AOS interview scheduled on 12th April) ,she's a USC. Can we file a joint 1040 this year? Do I need to attach any documentation with the 1040 form? Are there any websites that give this info? Thanks in advance for the info.

MN

Last edited by mn77845; Mar 2nd 2007 at 7:12 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing joint tax returns

Originally Posted by mn77845
This might not be the right forum for this question but I'm pretty sure a lot of people here might have the right answer. My wife and I have been married for 7-8 months now. I am on a H1-B (with an AOS interview scheduled on 12th April) ,she's a USC. Can we file a joint 1040 this year? Do I need to attach any documentation with the 1040 form? Are there any websites that give this info? Thanks in advance for the info.

MN
www.irs.gov, most likely. If you are married, then yes, you need to file "married" on your tax return. It's up to you whether to file "married joint" or "married separate", just depends on which way the figures and outcome work in your favor. Most married people file Married Joint, I think, because it gives you a better tax break.

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
www.irs.gov, most likely. If you are married, then yes, you need to file "married" on your tax return. It's up to you whether to file "married joint" or "married separate", just depends on which way the figures and outcome work in your favor. Most married people file Married Joint, I think, because it gives you a better tax break.

Rene
Yes, married jointly gives you more back. I looked at the tax guide for aliens but it doesn't say anything about this scenario, atleast I couldn't find anything. I figured most people here would have had to deal with this at some point.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mn77845
Yes, married jointly gives you more back. I looked at the tax guide for aliens but it doesn't say anything about this scenario, atleast I couldn't find anything. I figured most people here would have had to deal with this at some point.
My alien husband came here in April of 2004. So he was here 8 months out of 2004, and yes, we filed Married Joint that year. We didn't have to do anything special. He was considered a resident for tax purposes, even though he did not have his green card yet.

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

A little off topic but married jointly doesn't mean you get a better break. Because the tax tables are still based on the notion of 1 person working and 1 staying at home, depending on how much you earn and a bunch of other stuff, you can get a better break overall by filing married separate.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:02 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
A little off topic but married jointly doesn't mean you get a better break. Because the tax tables are still based on the notion of 1 person working and 1 staying at home, depending on how much you earn and a bunch of other stuff, you can get a better break overall by filing married separate.
Hmm... Every time I've figured our taxes as married-joint and married-separate and compared the two, married-joint is ALWAYS better. So I guess it depends on the individual couple's circumstances.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Hmm... Every time I've figured our taxes as married-joint and married-separate and compared the two, married-joint is ALWAYS better. So I guess it depends on the individual couple's circumstances.

~ Jenney
It does. Last year we gained about $300 by filing it separately, that's federal and state. This year it will be joint. Sometimes by filing it separately one person may owe but the other may get a bigger refund which ends up totaling more than the joint refund you may get. Of course, ideally you should break even but how many people does that actually happen to?!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

~ Jenney
I notice Duncan's in Ohio. Because of the way the state does things, Ohio is one of the places where MFS is often cheaper.

Bill in Cleveland Heights
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I notice Duncan's in Ohio. Because of the way the state does things, Ohio is one of the places where MFS is often cheaper.

Bill in Cleveland Heights
I figured a copy of our filed Married-Jointly 1040 would help as evidence in the AOS interview as well