Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Filing I-751/N-400 and travelling?

Wikiposts

Filing I-751/N-400 and travelling?

Old Aug 24th 2003, 4:42 am
Amby

Default Filing I-751/N-400 and travelling?

Hi everybody

I have a question for you all. I am a CPR from the UK. April next year we will be filing I-751 (coincidentally it is when our first baby is due). We have to file at NSC, and I've heard there are VERY long waits. I am getting very anxious to move back to the UK for a while, but I don't want to jeapordise the road to citizenship, as we do plan on spending a majority of our lives in the US.

I found this page, and I wondered if it is completely accurate:
http://www.emigrate-immigrate.com/pages/citizen.html

It says that if your PR is due to a marriage to a US citizen, you must only be present in the US for 18/36 months prior to filing. If this is the case, and we decide to go back for say 6 months to a year, after filing I-751 (with the proper permissions - CPR can only leave for 6 months correct?), will I still be able to file N-400 on the 3 year anniversary of the date on my CPR?

Or would we be better to wait until after N-400 to make the move?

Thanks for any help
Amber

Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:18 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Filing I-751/N-400 and travelling?

Amby wrote:

> Hi everybody
    >
    > I have a question for you all. I am a CPR from the UK. April next year we will be filing I-751 (coincidentally it is when our first baby is due). We have to file at NSC, and I've heard there are VERY long waits. I am getting very anxious to move back to the UK for a while, but I don't want to jeapordise the road to citizenship, as we do plan on spending a majority of our lives in the US.
    >
    > I found this page, and I wondered if it is completely accurate:
    > http://www.emigrate-immigrate.com/pages/citizen.html
    >
    > It says that if your PR is due to a marriage to a US citizen, you must only be present in the US for 18/36 months prior to filing. If this is the case, and we decide to go back for say 6 months to a year, after filing I-751 (with the proper permissions - CPR can only leave for 6 months correct?), will I still be able to file N-400 on the 3 year anniversary of the date on my CPR?
    >
    > Or would we be better to wait until after N-400 to make the move?
    >

If you are planning to be gone over 6 months at once, then you wouldn't
be eligible for N400 until 3 years after the absence of over 6 months.