Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Filing I-485 - with No Social Security Number

Filing I-485 - with No Social Security Number

Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough
Default Filing I-485 - with No Social Security Number

Hi All

I applied for a Social Security Number on December 18, as of yet I have received no correspondance from the office. I called today and found out that they are awaiting confirmation from the immigration office (the lady did not know what authorisation was needed, just that they were waiting on it).

My Visa is due to expire on March 8th, this leaves me just over 4 weeks to get the I-485 filed, is it mandatory to file the I-485 having a SSN? Or can I file the I-485 package without the SSN, but include the letter I have from the Social Security office stating that I have applied

Thanks

Martin
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing I-485 - with No Social Security Number

Originally Posted by UK_Tomcat_Fan
... is it mandatory to file the I-485 having a SSN? Or can I file the I-485 package without the SSN, but include the letter I have from the Social Security office stating that I have applied
You do not need to have a SSN in order to file AOS. You do not need to include the letter from the SS office.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

SSA cares if you have a valid status in the USA in order to issue a SSN, but USCIS does not care if you ever get a SSN.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough

Thanks Noorah! we have both been worried about this sooo much and you have relieved ALOT of stress from us
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:47 pm

Thanks Noorah! we have both been worried about this sooo much and you have relieved ALOT of stress from us
Good! Now get that AOS package filed! LOL

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You should have asked the question back in December... it would have relieved you of a month's worth of stress.

Ian