Reload this Page >

Fiance's K1 in Abu Dahbi I attended

Wikiposts

Fiance's K1 in Abu Dahbi I attended

Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

desertguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiance's K1 in Abu Dahbi I attended

I just returned from a week long trip to see my fiance and attend her K1 interview in Abu Dahbi, United Arab Emirates.

Thought I would write just a bit how the experiece went for her visa at the US Consulate. Our appointment letter instructed us to be there at 8 am so we lined up a bit early. There must have been about fifty people outside of the embassy that morning.

We went through security and she presented her letter and me my passport and we were let inside the Consulate complex. After going through another security check we were let inside the waiting room.

We were given a number and told to wait. After about 30 minutes her number was called and an Indian lady (not a US Citizen went over all my fiance's paperwork.) I just would hate to go through the US Embassy in India cause this lady acted like she was God. She was just a paper collecter but acted as if she was the consular officer who could make the decision as to getting a visa. This lady gave us a few problems and really got my fiance worried. I was aloud to be in the room with my fiance for this. When she had nothing left to nit pick over we were told to wait for the consular officer, our number would be called again.

This time the wait felt longer and my fiance was really starting to worry. I did my best to calm her down knowing that there was really no reason why they wouldnt give her a visa. After abit 45 minutes our number was called again and this time we met the Consular Officer. I was once again allowed to be with her during this interview. The Consular Officer was much more professional and a whole lot more personable than the first lady. He did ask us a few questions like, How did you meet? How many times have I been to Dubai?, and the usual ?'s like that.

Then something suprising happened. He keep saying "what can I do to delay your visa even more?" in a joking manner. We both went in the interview fully expecting not to recieve a visa on the same day. Even a letter from the Consulate states that visas are not given on the same day, additional security checks need to be run. So we both were expecting a few more months wait. A few more questions were asked and he told us that we could come back at 2:00 to pick up the visa. We were both in shock. We did not expect to recieve it then. They asked her which passport she wanted her visa in the Iraqi or Chilean passport. That was a no brainer as we chose the Chilean passport. I then talked to the Officer a bit more turns out he was a recruiter for the foriegn service a job I had been interested in.

Well we left the Consulate pretty happy had lunch and went back at 2:00 to pick up her new visa. She was so happy, after 7 months of this being on your mind every day it is so good to have it over. Now we just have to plan the fun stuff like when she travels to the US Good luck to all those in the process.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance's K1 in Abu Dahbi I attended

Originally posted by desertguy
I just returned from a week long trip to see my fiance and attend her K1 interview in Abu Dahbi, United Arab Emirates.

Thought I would write just a bit how the experiece went for her visa at the US Consulate. Our appointment letter instructed us to be there at 8 am so we lined up a bit early. There must have been about fifty people outside of the embassy that morning.

We went through security and she presented her letter and me my passport and we were let inside the Consulate complex. After going through another security check we were let inside the waiting room.

We were given a number and told to wait. After about 30 minutes her number was called and an Indian lady (not a US Citizen went over all my fiance's paperwork.) I just would hate to go through the US Embassy in India cause this lady acted like she was God. She was just a paper collecter but acted as if she was the consular officer who could make the decision as to getting a visa. This lady gave us a few problems and really got my fiance worried. I was aloud to be in the room with my fiance for this. When she had nothing left to nit pick over we were told to wait for the consular officer, our number would be called again.

This time the wait felt longer and my fiance was really starting to worry. I did my best to calm her down knowing that there was really no reason why they wouldnt give her a visa. After abit 45 minutes our number was called again and this time we met the Consular Officer. I was once again allowed to be with her during this interview. The Consular Officer was much more professional and a whole lot more personable than the first lady. He did ask us a few questions like, How did you meet? How many times have I been to Dubai?, and the usual ?'s like that.

Then something suprising happened. He keep saying "what can I do to delay your visa even more?" in a joking manner. We both went in the interview fully expecting not to recieve a visa on the same day. Even a letter from the Consulate states that visas are not given on the same day, additional security checks need to be run. So we both were expecting a few more months wait. A few more questions were asked and he told us that we could come back at 2:00 to pick up the visa. We were both in shock. We did not expect to recieve it then. They asked her which passport she wanted her visa in the Iraqi or Chilean passport. That was a no brainer as we chose the Chilean passport. I then talked to the Officer a bit more turns out he was a recruiter for the foriegn service a job I had been interested in.

Well we left the Consulate pretty happy had lunch and went back at 2:00 to pick up her new visa. She was so happy, after 7 months of this being on your mind every day it is so good to have it over. Now we just have to plan the fun stuff like when she travels to the US Good luck to all those in the process.

Congratulations..........
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

amylass is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations desertguy

Thank you for sharing your experience, my heart lept when I read that they would have your fiance's visa ready that day!

Best wishes and safe journeys to you and your fiance.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Desertguy and gal :-) I've been following your interesting story, I'm very happy to hear she got her visa, same day too...icing on the cake!! :-)

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:46 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Many congrats
I bet it feels even better to get the visa when you're expecting a further delay, good for you guys.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:50 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. I wish you all the happiness in the world.

Leslie
Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by desertguy

Hi:

Actually, I've found most con-offs to be professional -- especially if you treat them professionally.