Fiancee visa vs. getting married in Europe

Wikiposts

Fiancee visa vs. getting married in Europe

Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:44 am
Just Joined

vvitto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiancee visa vs. getting married in Europe

Hello,
I am a US citizen and I am currently in Romania.

I met after 20 years a former school mate and we fell in love.

Would be easier to get married in Romania and start the paperwork here or to have her come to US with a fiancee K 1 Visa?

I am inclined to to K1 visa as she would be able to come to US sooner instead of waiting here to get all the paperwork done ..

Please help me out with all the forms I may need to get the K 1 process started.

Tx a bunch,
V
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiancee visa vs. getting married in Europe

Originally Posted by vvitto
Hello,
I am a US citizen and I am currently in Romania.

I met after 20 years a former school mate and we fell in love.

Would be easier to get married in Romania and start the paperwork here or to have her come to US with a fiancee K 1 Visa?

I am inclined to to K1 visa as she would be able to come to US sooner instead of waiting here to get all the paperwork done ..

Please help me out with all the forms I may need to get the K 1 process started.

Tx a bunch,
V
I moved your post to the Marriage-Based Immigration forum.

How long have you been in Romania, have you been living there? Or are you just visiting your fiancee?

Here is a link to the Wiki article on the K-1 process: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 16th 2008, 12:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the K-1 process and the Immigrant Visa process both take about the same amount of time (around 8 to 10 months), unless you are currently resident in Romania.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2008, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

vvitto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I moved your post to the Marriage-Based Immigration forum.

How long have you been in Romania, have you been living there? Or are you just visiting your fiancee?

Here is a link to the Wiki article on the K-1 process: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hello and tx for your reply,

Actually, I have dual citizenship US/Romanian...but I reside inUS.

Having Romanian citizenship would be suffice to qualify as a Romanian Rezident?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:17 am

Hello and tx for your reply,

Actually, I have dual citizenship US/Romanian...but I reside inUS.

Having Romanian citizenship would be suffice to qualify as a Romanian Rezident?
In that case, you want to look in to filing the I-130 directly there in Romania. Here on the forum it's called DCF (Direct Consular Filing). In most cases (at least in the UK), DCF only takes about 4 to 6 months (from filing I-130 to getting Immigrant Visa in hand), as opposed to filing the I-130 to a service center in the USA (which takes about 8 to 10 months to process).

I am not sure what Romania requires of a USC to be able to file DCF, but be aware they might require that you have been present in Romania for 6+ months. At least it's something to check out. If Romania allows you to file DCF, it might be worth getting married there, and do the Immigrant Visa.

Rene