Fiancee Keeping Her Surname After Marriage - K1 Applicant

Wikiposts

Fiancee Keeping Her Surname After Marriage - K1 Applicant

Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:13 am
Account Closed

davidnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiancee Keeping Her Surname After Marriage - K1 Applicant

Hello Again,

I will be marrying my fiancee in the next few weeks, and my fiancee is keeping her surname and is not taking mine after marriage, has anyone on a K1 visa who applied for AOS who did the same thing, had any problems when submitting paperwork? Or do you think it is likely to cause problems along the line? The fact that she has kept her original surname.

I know that there are several options available to people getting married, and it's up to the couple as to whether they change the last name or keep the existing one, or use a combination of names. But I have a feeling that whatever is contained within the 'Marriage Certificate' will be acceptable.

Thanks,

David
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIANCEE KEEPING HER SURNAME AFTER MARRIAGE - K1 APPLICANT

David, we did not do a K-1 but an Immigrant Visa after marriage.
I have never changed my surname and my DH is a naturalized citizen now. The topic never came up.
Many stories here are the same. I have never seen one where it was a problem.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
David, we did not do a K-1 but an Immigrant Visa after marriage.
I have never changed my surname and my DH is a naturalized citizen now. The topic never came up.
Many stories here are the same. I have never seen one where it was a problem.
Thanks, that's reassuring to know
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidnyc
Thanks, that's reassuring to know
We did the K-1 visa (I'm the USC female). I didn't change my name until more than a year after we got married. It was not an issue for USCIS that some of my documents were in my previous name, and some in my married name (by the time we had the AOS interview, I had changed my name).

It won't be an issue at all.

Rene
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
We did the K-1 visa (I'm the USC female). I didn't change my name until more than a year after we got married. It was not an issue for USCIS that some of my documents were in my previous name, and some in my married name (by the time we had the AOS interview, I had changed my name).

It won't be an issue at all.

Rene
Thanks Rene
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that she has kept her original surname.
Whether she keeps her name or not... she's still the same person. I'm pretty sure the US government understands this! She could even choose a totally different surname if she wanted... it won't make a whit of difference.

Ian
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Whether she keeps her name or not... she's still the same person. I'm pretty sure the US government understands this! She could even choose a totally different surname if she wanted... it won't make a whit of difference.

Ian
Cheers, Ian
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, Ian
I'll add here, that some couples decide to choose a totally different surname and use that! It's not too common, but it does happen. Indeed, you can call yourself whatever you want as long as there is no intent to commit fraud.

Ian
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Bill did not change her surname. The subject never came up in any of my interactions with USCIS. Relax.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:44 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

dnyc,

My wife was a K1, kept her maiden name, and had no problems with her adjustment of status about it.

Regards, JEff

I will be marrying my fiancee in the next few weeks, and my fiancee is keeping her surname and is not taking mine after marriage, has anyone on a K1 visa who applied for AOS who did the same thing, had any problems when submitting paperwork? Or do you think it is likely to cause problems along the line? The fact that she has kept her original surname.