Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Fiance visiting during process-notarized letter of intent?

Wikiposts

Fiance visiting during process-notarized letter of intent?

Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:55 am
Dazed and Confused

KatherineH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiance visiting during process-notarized letter of intent?

My fiance will be flying here in a month for a two week visit. We're (hopefully) nearing the end of our time at Nebraska. We know it's always a risk to fly over while a case is pending but are taking the best precautions possible to aid in his entry.

He'll be getting a letter from his job, and another from his parents who he lives with. I'm sending him copies of wedding related contracts stating that we've paid deposits for a date in September. I'll also send a letter along detailing that I've filed a petition on his behalf and the like.

Do you think it will make a difference if we have my letter notarized? Will it make it more likely to be taken seriously? I work with a notary so it's easy to have done.

Thanks!
-Katherine
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:04 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance visiting during process-notarized letter of intent?

There was a big thread on this recently and the two legal eagles of the board strongly advised against it.

I've just come back from a quick visit and I was fine. I wasn't even asked for a return ticket or how long I was staying. I doubt that's the same at every POE though.

I don't know how much of a difference the letter would make. I'd prepared a letter from my parents to say they were expecting me back and that they were looking after my house, another from my realtor saying I had an appointment at the notary and no power of attorney signed for anyone to act on my behalf for my affairs in Spain.

I didn't have to show any of it, but it's better to have too much than not enough,
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:07 am
Dazed and Confused

KatherineH is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I've read the threads advising against it, and I know we're taking a risk. But like you, I feel that if we have the right information we'll probably be okay. And like in your case...odds are if we have the info, they won't need it!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:13 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how much help it is but whenever I visit the US (which is a lot), I'm always really smiley and friendly, say good morning etc., to the Immigration guys. It seems to work as they are always really nice to me and very helpful.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:35 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Katherine,

Having your letter notarized will make no difference whatsoever.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by KatherineH

...I'll also send a letter along detailing that I've filed a petition on his behalf and the like.

Do you think it will make a difference if we have my letter notarized? Will it make it more likely to be taken seriously? ...

Thanks!
-Katherine