Fiance Visa & Work

Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance Visa & Work

Originally Posted by chrisandjulie
wow,

i was worried about the us international business knowledge otherwise my experience would not sell itself.

~Simliar to the fortune 500, the ftse 100 is the 100 biggest companies in the uk.

I get the drift, she was lucky, others are not so, still its good to get the basis of peoples experiences whether they have been lucky or not.
You will also need a SSN. Apply for your SS card about 10 days after you enter the USA on your K-1. It takes about 2 weeks to get the card, and most employers want to see the card upon being hired (or else a letter from SS saying you've applied).

If JFK is convenient for you, it's worth doing. That way you are employable at least for 90 days. Once you marry and apply for AOS (which includes the EAD), it takes about 60 - 90 days for the 1-year EAD to get to you. If you have not had your AOS interview by 9 months after that, apply for another 1-year EAD.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I'm starting to get the realisation of how stressful and tough this process will be.

I suppose I'll have to make do with bar work or whatever until I find that job.
My fiance was fortunate enough to become self-employed within 3 weeks of his arrival on the K-1. He got the stamp at JFK and worked until that ran out. There was a 2-week gap until he received the 1-year EAD, and during those 2 weeks he hung around the shops and talked to his clients, but didn't do any work he could get paid for.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

chrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nice

should I apply for the SS card after we are married or before then do you think?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:25 am

should I apply for the SS card after we are married or before then do you think?
It doesn't really matter, but IF you apply for it after marriage, it's best not to mention to SSA that you've gotten married. It just confuses them. To keep it simple, maybe you could apply for the SSN 10 days after arrival, and then get married on Day 11.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter because 'marital status' is not a question on the SSN application.
You'll need to get your SS account in your maiden name if you choose this route, and go back to change it later but most people find it is better to have the number than not.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:52 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in and strongly recommend having enough funds to cover you for several months. Mark entered the US on his K1 back in late May 2003, we got married in mid-June, but couldn't file for AOS (for various reasons) until mid-October 2003. He didn't get his EAD until late February 2004 -- four months later -- so by that time we'd been living on one income for about 9 months.

We obviously had no idea it would take as long as it did, that our AOS would be delayed and then the EAD would take much longer to process than average. We didn't prepare well enough and ended up in severe debt, something we are still digging out from 5 years later.

Not only couldn't Mark work until February 2004, but he couldn't get a VA drivers license until then, either. He drove on his UK for the first 6 months but after that I had to do all the driving. Again, something else we didn't think would happen. Luckily, one thing we DID get right was applying for his SSN after waiting about 10 days after his K1 entry; he got his SSN card in the mail three days later.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

As I've said several times - we were lucky, and I was amazed (although we did things in such a way as to make it likely there would be no/small gap before the EAD arrived). I certainly did not expect to be so lucky with AOS. They are doing more of these tranfers, I've seen other cases out there - but I would NEVER recommend anyone count on it.

I would suggest you apply for the SSN 10 days after arrival. Again, it makes life more convenient to have a SSN.

Just a note... you seem (understandably) quite eager to go to work. I hope, however, that your fiancee has sufficient income to be your financial sponsor - which is required, unless you have lots of assets of your own. Otherwise, you would need a co-sponsor. If there is any question, or you are unaware of these requirements, you should look into that issue.