Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Fiance Visa Question and work eligibility, pcumming

Wikiposts

Fiance Visa Question and work eligibility, pcumming

Old Apr 7th 2002, 6:50 am
Peter Cumming

Default Fiance Visa Question and work eligibility, pcumming

My girlfriend is in the UK. Is it possible for her to come over to the US on a fiance
visa and work?

Or does she have to come over and then we have to get married before she is
eligible to work?

Any other options for her to come over and work, us to get to know each other, and
then get married since we seem to be headed in that direction, but of course want
ample time to be sure.

Thanks so much, Peter [email protected]

Old Apr 7th 2002, 10:50 am
Shelley

Default Re: Fiance Visa Question and work eligibility, pcumming

A fiancé visa is only valid for 90 days. During which time you must marry and file
Adjustment of Status paperwork for her to remain in the US. Occasionally (and it is
getting rarer), a fiancé is granted a 90 day EAD (work authorization) stamp when
entering the US. With that, and a social security number, she could work for 90 days,
or until the K-1 expires. By then she should have her AOS paperwork filed, along with
an I-765 for the one year EAD card. However, if the 90 day EAD expires before the new
1 year EAD arrives, she would have to quit working. Take Care. Shelley

"Peter Cumming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My girlfriend is in the UK. Is it possible for her to come over to the US on a
    > fiance visa and work?
    >
    >
    > Or does she have to come over and then we have to get married before she is
    > eligible to work?
    >
    >
    > Any other options for her to come over and work, us to get to know each other, and
    > then get married since we seem to be headed in that direction, but of course want
    > ample time to be sure.
    >
    > Thanks so much, Peter [email protected]