other and pictures of each other (actual pics in hand), plus have
received gifts via snail-mail. I need to know what the guidelines are
for means of support. How much money does a USA citizen need to make
to support fiance? Also, How long does a USA citizen have to live in
same address before filing petition? I heard it was 2 years. Is having
to leave job (which would cause job to be lost, place to live lost) to
go see fiance in person be considered hardship? My fiance and I want
to get all the information together before filing. I will fight,
meaning get a lawyer to get my fiance here. May God Bless You All.

Julie H.

Old Dec 31st 2002, 2:38 pm
Daralaeddwen

Default Re: Fiance Visa

You should really check out the INS web site, it answers all those kind of
questions about what you need to do. That's where we (my now husband and I)
got all our information when in a similar situation as you (being that we
met online). Unfortunately I can not recall the specific requirements since
it was over a year ago now.

I don't know why the 'hardship' thing is relavent but all the same, I highly
doubt such a situation as you describe would earn that classifcation.

"Julie H." wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I met my fiance 2 years ago on-line in a yahoo room. We have talked
    > often via messenger, on the telephone. We have many emails from each
    > other and pictures of each other (actual pics in hand), plus have
    > received gifts via snail-mail. I need to know what the guidelines are
    > for means of support. How much money does a USA citizen need to make
    > to support fiance? Also, How long does a USA citizen have to live in
    > same address before filing petition? I heard it was 2 years. Is having
    > to leave job (which would cause job to be lost, place to live lost) to
    > go see fiance in person be considered hardship? My fiance and I want
    > to get all the information together before filing. I will fight,
    > meaning get a lawyer to get my fiance here. May God Bless You All.
    > Julie H.

Old Dec 31st 2002, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Tamara Velez is an unknown quantity at this point

I met my husband through the internet but if you want to make your relationship more concrete you have to have evidence that you have seen him or he has seen you. That is very important. Now adays The USA embassy are giving a hard time to every country to get all kinds of visas. I had to meet my husband in India and ensure that our realtionship was for real. Getting a lawyer is not a bad idea cause a signature of an attorney and your evidences will make your case stronger. If you are going to marry him and planning to like in USA ensure that you marry in USA so they won't give you a hard time when your bring your future husband just like they did to me. Take Good Care of yourself and Happy New Year.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Krisitn24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiance Visa questions

In order to sponsor your fiance to come here, you must have an income of 125% above the national poverty line which I am not sure what that amount is, it changes yearly I think. Also, to qualify for any type of visa to marry a non - citizen, you must have seen each other at least once in the last 2 years, otherwise, you don't qualify. You can get the forms on the INS website which also has eligibility quizes to find out if you are even eligible to get a visa before you go spending the amount of money it takes to come here. After your form is processed, if approved, you have to have a one on one meeting with an INS rep at the consulate in your country where they seperately ask you and your faince questions about each other and each other's families/lives, to ensure proof that you really know each other. Later, you two will have an opportunity together to speak to the interviewer and work through any discrepencies in your interviews. You will also need fingerprints done at an FBI office along with a "mug shot" type picture (shoulder and head in color) along with a certified copy of your criminal record and affidavits signed by any friends you have stating you should get married and how well they know both of you together. It will be very hard to bring someone over here to marry you if you have never met in person, there is no way they will approve it because you don't even know a person until you live together, trust me, I'm a canadian citizen living here with my American fiance. We have been travelling back and forth for 3 1/2 years now spending up to 6 months at a time together and getting signed affidavits from anyone who can prove our "togetherness" along with tons of pictures of myself with his family and himself with my family and friends etc., because the inteviewer will ask for all this proof when you get interviewed. You cannot claim hardship unless you are wealthy and she/he is on welfare in his / her country. Along with that, you will have to prove that he/she can get a damn good job in the U.S. so you two aren't going to depend on welfare later in life. Then you take a test and all that stuff. Trust me, I"ve been batteling it for 3 years and it's hard to get accepted and both of us are college educated with jobs that requrie more than 2 years training. Good luck though. But to summarize, you must know each other in person or there is no way they will accept you and they want proof by way of passport etc., that you two have spent time together in the last 2 years.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 5:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance Visa questions

The INS Fiancee Visa requires that you have met, in person, your fiancee at least once during two years prior to filing the I-129F at the INS service center governing your living jurisidiction. You have to show proof at the time of filing that you have met this requirement. Sorry but inconvenience is not a reason for bypassing this requirement. You or he can take a vacation for at least one week without losing a job and/or your place of residency. If you can afford to hire an immigration attorney for approximately $1,500, you can afford the trip.

After the SC approves the initial I-129F, it will be forwarded to the US Consulate in the country where your fiancee lives. Your fiancee will be responsible for getting his long form birth certificate, any military records, police clearance and a medical before he can interview at the US Cosulate. The interview is for the foreign fiancee only. While the USC might be able to enter the building, the US Consulate personnel will only interview the foreign fiancee. The itnerview process that Kristin24 outlined sounds more like a hardlined AOS interview which is performed at the local INS office stateside if the agent feels the marriage is bogus.

At the time of the interview, the foreign fiancee must give the US Consulate a completed I-134 affidavit of support from the USC (you). In 2002 for a family of two (you and him) you needed to earn approximately $14,925 http://aspe.os.dhhs.gov/poverty/02poverty.htm . The 2003 figures are not yet out.

You can read the FAQ on the K-1 here:

http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

I, too, married a Canadian and we went the K-1 Fiancee Visa route through Montreal. Kristin has some incorrect information in reply to you and I do hope this will not dissuade you from meeting at least once with your fiancee and then filing for the K-1.

Your fiancee will not to prove that they can get a good job in the States. You do not need letters of testimony from friends and family as to the validity of your relationship.

Rete
Old Jan 6th 2003, 5:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance Visa questions

Kristin

Hi ... I have read your post from beginning to end and I am really upset that you have so much wrong in your conception of what is required of the I-129F/K-1 fiancee visa. You appear to have your facts entwined. You have facts from the AOS interview, the removal of conditions two years down the line after the AOS and the citizenship processed, all rolled into one.

The I-129F/K-1 is the simpliest visa in the world. Your USC fiancee files at the service center along with a few pieces of documentation showing you have met each other in person during the last two years. Affidavits from family and friends are not a requirement. After approval it will go to either Montreal or Vancouver since you are Canadian. If Vancouver, you can set up a provisional file ahead of time and get a jump on things. Montreal won't set up a provisional file but you still can do your medical, get your RCMP police clearance, long form birth certifcate, prior marriage certificates, etc.

When the interview is scheduled only you go to it. Not your USC fiancee. You are not questioned together and/or separately. The only questions they ask is when was the last time you saw each other, what does he do for a living, are you planning to work in the US, if so, at what.

The hold thing is a piece of cake.

http://www.txdirect.net/users/mike38/k1faq.htm

Read the above link for the K-1 FAQ and visit the alt.visa.us.marriage-based group here on british expats. That is what we specialize in.

Rete
(Can/Am Alumni - '98; AOS completed in 2001; Waiting for Naturalization)

Originally posted by Krisitn24
In order to sponsor your fiance to come here, you must have an income of 125% above the national poverty line which I am not sure what that amount is, it changes yearly I think. Also, to qualify for any type of visa to marry a non - citizen, you must have seen each other at least once in the last 2 years, otherwise, you don't qualify. You can get the forms on the INS website which also has eligibility quizes to find out if you are even eligible to get a visa before you go spending the amount of money it takes to come here. After your form is processed, if approved, you have to have a one on one meeting with an INS rep at the consulate in your country where they seperately ask you and your faince questions about each other and each other's families/lives, to ensure proof that you really know each other. Later, you two will have an opportunity together to speak to the interviewer and work through any discrepencies in your interviews. You will also need fingerprints done at an FBI office along with a "mug shot" type picture (shoulder and head in color) along with a certified copy of your criminal record and affidavits signed by any friends you have stating you should get married and how well they know both of you together. It will be very hard to bring someone over here to marry you if you have never met in person, there is no way they will approve it because you don't even know a person until you live together, trust me, I'm a canadian citizen living here with my American fiance. We have been travelling back and forth for 3 1/2 years now spending up to 6 months at a time together and getting signed affidavits from anyone who can prove our "togetherness" along with tons of pictures of myself with his family and himself with my family and friends etc., because the inteviewer will ask for all this proof when you get interviewed. You cannot claim hardship unless you are wealthy and she/he is on welfare in his / her country. Along with that, you will have to prove that he/she can get a damn good job in the U.S. so you two aren't going to depend on welfare later in life. Then you take a test and all that stuff. Trust me, I"ve been batteling it for 3 years and it's hard to get accepted and both of us are college educated with jobs that requrie more than 2 years training. Good luck though. But to summarize, you must know each other in person or there is no way they will accept you and they want proof by way of passport etc., that you two have spent time together in the last 2 years.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Julie, what Kristin is saying is very true. Mr. Rete has no idea how difficult is to bring your love one to USA. You need to prepare yourself in regarding what Kristin is saying. After September the 11, things had become very difficult. Two months ago my husband had his Interview in the USA Embassy and they requested my husband letters from my parents and his parents that they were okay with our marriage (and that was on the day of the interview after we had one year married, how ridiculous is that). They will want to know about your background and your fiance's background. These people in the USA embassy are there to do one thing, denie as many visas they can because we are on war obviously and I am talking for experience, they still giving my husband a hard time to come to the states regardless of all the concrete evidences we have giving to the USA embassy and the INS. The officer of the USA embassy can discriminate your fiance and write anything he wants to the INS and the INS will believe them, why? Because they have they own agenda, they are running their own show in these countries where no one is supervising them. So prepare yourself and your fiance for all concrete evidences for your own good. Take all advises you need to take. Possibly Rete did his fiance visa an eternity ago or before September the 11th. So Good luck and take care of yourself. You can write to me if you want to.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 5:57 pm
Julie H.

Default Re: Fiance Visa

My Fiance and I have discussed our situation. We are doing our best in
meeting the requirements, which will take more time. I am going to
Cairo, Egypt to see him for possibly two weeks later this year. I have
already checked about a passport since this will be my first time
outside the USA. Cost of passport is 85.00$, cost of Visa is 15.00$
Cost of round trip ticket isnt that expensive but it will take alot
more time to make the extra money. We are both working on it together.

BTW...its not as hard as some may think to get approved. It does
however take a bit longer for the responses and may seem like its
taking forever.

We love each other very much and will patiently wait..:)

Julie H.

Old Jan 7th 2003, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

You need to see him, take pictures, ensure you have your letters and print your emails from him. If you are marrying and planning to stay in USA, marry in USA because I married in India, they have giving us a hard time. You will have the greatest time of your life in Cairo Egypt. I had the greatest time of my life in India, the first time I went. India is a beautiful country and people are wonderful. You will not have a hard time in getting your visa to Egypt, ask your boyfriend how you have to get dress in Egypt, cause this is a Muslim country. But if your are Muslim, you are in luck. Ask your boyfriend how they, what they eat, they like to eat spicy food just like Indian people. Ensure that get prepare for questions they might ask your boyfriend in the US Embassy such as religion, age, language, birthdays ect. I am sure that you love your boyfriend and things will be great when you accomplish your dreams. Take Care.