Wikiposts

fiance moving to usa

Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:17 am
Just Joined

chuix is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool fiance moving to usa

Hi,
This is my first post on the site but im so happy I found it as I could really use the help! My fiance works in london and has recently been offered a transfer from his current company to their new york branch. I have just completed my gdl and lpc and I realise that these do not translate into american law degrees and so I was wondering if anyone knew, if I would be able to move to the us with him and be able to work out there, even though we are not married and are just engaged?
For personal reasons, we wont be getting married for awhile but we want to know what our options are before he decides to take the job offer. I know that spouses can move as dependants, but does anyone know if there is a different visa for fiances?
Thank you!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fiance moving to usa

Originally Posted by chuix
Hi,
This is my first post on the site but im so happy I found it as I could really use the help! My fiance works in london and has recently been offered a transfer from his current company to their new york branch. I have just completed my gdl and lpc and I realise that these do not translate into american law degrees and so I was wondering if anyone knew, if I would be able to move to the us with him and be able to work out there, even though we are not married and are just engaged?
For personal reasons, we wont be getting married for awhile but we want to know what our options are before he decides to take the job offer. I know that spouses can move as dependants, but does anyone know if there is a different visa for fiances?
Thank you!
2 options:

- get married

- stay put
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thank you!
Hi:

Two options --

1. Get married.
2. If you have been residing together for some period of time, there is a possibility of a B-2 visitor's visa assuming your beloved is coming over on a non-immigrant "L" visa.

I may be a lawyer, but I'm not YOUR lawyer. I'm not saying that option #2 will work -- but it does exist.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
2. If you have been residing together for some period of time, there is a possibility of a B-2 visitor's visa assuming your beloved is coming over on a non-immigrant "L" visa.
But you cannot work on the B-2
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
But you cannot work on the B-2
Hi:

True. I missed the working part. She would have to figure out some way to enter independently with permission to work.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:48 am
Just Joined

chuix is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much everyone for your answers. Like i said before, the marriage thing is not an option yet. so then there is a visa that i can apply for it seems. I am not sure what visa my fiance would be moving on, but if he took it then he would be moving there permanently. but just to clarify it does look like that i wont be able to work? I was considering perhaps studying out there and converting my english law degree but I heard that can take up to three years and im not sure if im ready to do that much studying again! Thanks again for your help though. any more suggestions will be appreciated!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Review Marriage option.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much everyone for your answers. Like i said before, the marriage thing is not an option yet. so then there is a visa that i can apply for it seems. I am not sure what visa my fiance would be moving on, but if he took it then he would be moving there permanently. but just to clarify it does look like that i wont be able to work? I was considering perhaps studying out there and converting my english law degree but I heard that can take up to three years and im not sure if im ready to do that much studying again! Thanks again for your help though. any more suggestions will be appreciated!
You state that the job offer is permanent, and therefore I assume that the company will be sponsoring him for permanent residence pretty quickly. If you have not married before this happens, you will be in a much more dire situation.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much everyone for your answers. Like i said before, the marriage thing is not an option yet. so then there is a visa that i can apply for it seems. I am not sure what visa my fiance would be moving on, but if he took it then he would be moving there permanently. but just to clarify it does look like that i wont be able to work?
How can your intended be your 'fiance' but the marriage thing is not an option?
There is always a visa you can apply for, but applying for the one you qualify for is probably a better bet. Do you qualify as a long term domestic partner (B-2 visa possibility)?
If you come on a B-2 v isa, you may not work.