Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A few quick questions...

Wikiposts

A few quick questions...

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:49 am
Ric
Forum Regular

Ric has a spectacular aura aboutRic has a spectacular aura aboutRic has a spectacular aura about
Default A few quick questions...

I'm sure these have been asked a million times and I'm sure I've read the answers before somewhere a long time ago but I've seen conflicting answers and just wanna make sure...

Is the I-134 and/or supporting evidence (tax returns etc) required to be sent back in with packet 3 (like I saw someone say on this forum) or not required until the interview day (like I thought was the case)?

Who notarizes the I-134? Isn't it supposed to be taken to the interview and notarized by a consular official? Can the sponsor/co-sponsor go ahead and sign it at the bottom now?

Is it true that I can drive in the US on a UK driving license for 3 months before I gotta get a US one? Anyone know if I will be able to get insured for a vehicle there before I have my SSN?

Thanks people
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:54 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few quick questions...

Originally posted by Ric
Is it true that I can drive in the US on a UK driving license for 3 months before I gotta get a US one? Anyone know if I will be able to get insured for a vehicle there before I have my SSN?

Thanks people
I've just been looking into this. I imagine it would vary from state to state but I don't need SSN to get car insurance. I do need a US licence though for which I need SSN in my state. Insurance on an international licence is sky high and that's in comparison to the general astronomical insurance rates in the US.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

In Colombia all you send in to get the interview is the 230 and a copy of page one of passport.

A notary would notarize it and reputable ones are not going to do so unless you sign in front of them.

My au-pair was required to get ssn for drivers license and insurance. But that is different as she ishere on a J visa and I reside in Louisiana. It is not good for employment.

Originally posted by Ric
I'm sure these have been asked a million times and I'm sure I've read the answers before somewhere a long time ago but I've seen conflicting answers and just wanna make sure...

Is the I-134 and/or supporting evidence (tax returns etc) required to be sent back in with packet 3 (like I saw someone say on this forum) or not required until the interview day (like I thought was the case)?

Who notarizes the I-134? Isn't it supposed to be taken to the interview and notarized by a consular official? Can the sponsor/co-sponsor go ahead and sign it at the bottom now?

Thanks people
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:24 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Ric
The I-134 and supporting evidence is taken to the interview. This is when it is needed.

Who notarizes the I-134? Isn't it supposed to be taken to the interview and notarized by a consular official?
A notary notarizes any documentation which needs to be notarized.

As mentioned, different states have different rules.
Check out the DMV site for further information:
DMV site
The SSN is used for many things but won't ensure that you can be insured as stated before, usually you would need your state's driving license before you can get insured.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:38 am
Eric S.

I'll tell you what happened with us (K-1 interview at Madrid embassy). As
everyone always says, each consulate may have different requirements. I
you're still in doubt, contact the consulate. In any event, instructions
should be in your packet 3.

> Is the I-134 and/or supporting evidence (tax returns etc) required to be
    > sent back in with packet 3 (like I saw someone say on this forum) or not
    > required until the interview day (like I thought was the case)?

> Who notarizes the I-134? Isn't it supposed to be taken to the interview
    > and notarized by a consular official? Can the sponsor/co-sponsor go
    > ahead and sign it at the bottom now?

I filled out, signed and had notarized my I-134 before sending it to my
fiance. She took it with her to the interview. Almost all other forms were
also taken with her to the interview. Again, the Packet 3 instructions
should tell you what to send in ahead of time and what to take to the
interview.

Any notary public can notarize the I-134. But you must sign in the presence
of the notary public. (Because they are basically just certifying that it
was really you who signed it). I wouldn't think the consular officer would
notarize the I-134, because it has to be filled out by the USC (and possible
co-sponsor), and it's the spouse/fiance that goes to the interview.

> Is it true that I can drive in the US on a UK driving license for 3
    > months before I gotta get a US one? Anyone know if I will be able to get
    > insured for a vehicle there before I have my SSN?

Depends on the state you are going to. In Massachusetts, where I live, a
foreign visitor can drive for one year after arrival with a valid driver's
license from his/her country. But, the rules also say that once you have
established residence in Mass, you must get a Mass. driver's license. To
me, that mean's that once you are a Permanent Resident, you need to get the
Mass. license. (In other words, after your AOS is approved).

- Eric S.